PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing PGK squads

bonedale
03-15-2011, 10:44 AM
We now have some great options in "tooling" out our GK squads, and I wanted to focus on the power armored kind for a moment. And more specifically, focus on the CC options.

Why, because in many ways, we are in the same situation we were before, scary CC stats, little CC output. What I mean, is simply # of attacks. Dedicated CC units will still beat PGKs, (except Purifiers) and without dedicated CC units that get crazy number of attacks, I am looking at the build-out of the squads and wondering how I can make them more effective in CC, since most of our firepower exists in the 24" arena, we need to be ready for the assault.

Basic weapon options: sword, halbred, and falchions.

First, I can't see any reason to take swords. Yes, your squad is the cheapest it can be, but it is also the least effective. Unless the squad is a purgation-style unit, I see little point in fielding a unit that can be smashed in assault as a GK player. Been there, done that.

So I am looking at the Halbred vs. Falchions myself. At first, (as a believer, initiative is god in 40k) I was jumping on the halbreds. Then I started to run the numbers. Ignoring the S5 for comparison.

8 PGKs (getting assaulted if you will)
8 attacks
4 hits
2 wounds delivered at I6

This removed 2 of the weakest in the squad attacking you. So you can guess how many less attacks you will be facing.

Now with Falchions
8 PGKs
16 attacks
8 hits
4 wounds
2 more from re-rolls.
6 total wound delivered.

You get 3X the damage output, in return you took the full brunt of an assault.

I make a lot of assumptions, for example, the enemy is standard MEQ.

So my question is this. Do you make a "specialized" squad with your GKs. One, all Falchions, then another squad, all Halbreds, and then try and get the matchups you want. Or do you do a 50/50 mix in each squad and make generalized units.

Normally I would lean towards "generalized" units. Reason being, I can pull casualties from either pool depending on the situation. Just like I used to pull my Psycannon guys first in assault.

But I am thinking specialized this time. Full on, (expensive) Falchions. Then my only real concern is high initiative dedicated assault units. But beyond those, I can get into assault, get get out quickly moving on to the next target, and not get bogged down. As for the high initiative enemy CC units, I will have to have options. Libby with quickening, good old firepower, etc.

What is everyone else thinking with all these new options.

dethangel
03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
ive been thinking about this also. all falchons or all halberds i think it depends on that squads mission like playin DE or Eldar. or units like korn beserkers, demonettes, harliquins etc. you want high Inicitive, and on hord units more attacks.
dont totaly disreguard the GKSS with swords and S bolters for 240 pts you get psy ammo, and 2 psy cannons. shooting wise thats 16 S5, 4 S7(or8 S7 heavy) shots then assault w/ hammerhand 21 S5 I4 CC attacks, that combo will hurt any unit in the game. they are cheep(well for GKs anyway) and in numbers can be really tough.
but my fav is the purifier squads w/ halberds
using assassins can be a force multiplier. taking away inv saves and stuff can turn the biggest, baddest, mofo in the game into a chump with exta wounds. stormbolter and psycannon bait.:cool:

DarkLink
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Halberds are too expensive on GKSS, but every weapon upgrade is too expensive on them. GKSS are a fire support unit, not a close combat one. Anything they can do in combat, Purifiers or Terminators do better. Don't bother wasting points on CC upgrades, other than a Master Crafted Daemonhammer.

If you want a close combat unit take purifiers or terminators. Don't waste so many points trying to turn GKSS into something they're not.

bonedale
03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Halberds are too expensive on GKSS, but every weapon upgrade is too expensive on them. GKSS are a fire support unit, not a close combat one. Anything they can do in combat, Purifiers or Terminators do better. Don't bother wasting points on CC upgrades, other than a Master Crafted Daemonhammer.

If you want a close combat unit take purifiers or terminators. Don't waste so many points trying to turn GKSS into something they're not.

That makes good sense. And Dethangel's thoughts on boosting GKSSs firepower. So GKSS are the fire support that get in close to support the assaults.

So what about Purifiers/Terminators. What do you think is optimal for their CC.

I feel purifiers for instance, need either halbreds, or falchions. Because they have 2 base attacks, halbreds can make sense. But without a charge bonus against MEQ they are only delivering 4 wounds. Not good enough. So I think falchions it is. 30pt models, yes, but capable of killing 9 MEQ without the charge. The downside is this unit is approaching "overkill" which can be bad or good depending on your style of play.

Currently I am thinking of running purifiers with 7 falchions, 2 special weapons, and 1 plain. I always like to have one plain to remove as the first casualty.

volrath8754
03-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Well first of all I might be suck playing Grey knights without hands until GW or adepticon FAQ wheather or not falchions + 1 attack in in addition to having two weapons or not. Second of all with hammer-hand and a psycannon or two i see halberds as the way to go if you're worried about not putting out enough attacks give them counter attack with a grand master or might of titan with a librarian. I have a feeling the new codex is going to be all about synergy. Ie: combining forces in the proper way in ever situation. But man I really Want to run a paladin squad with 4x psycannons a banner and all halberds with an apothecary.

thecactusman17
03-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I think that the abundance of power weapons in the squad will more than make up for any deficiencies of only getting one attack in base combat. Grey Knights now have grenades and can make a solid attack in close combat, which they could not do before especially against marines. I would simply take the two psycannons and be done.

Purifiers are a bit harder. They are in a troublesome situation where they will be incredibly good against so many things in close combat that they will be unable to easily restrain themselves from annihilating any unit they assault and spilling out into the opponent's shooting phase.

I would suggest the following: unit of 10, full squad of psycannons, then split the remainder 50/50 between halberds and falchions. In a match against hordes, shove them in a Land Raider or Stormraven and go to town in CC. Against Marines or light mechanized, sit back and open up with the cannons from a safe position. In the latter, if you get assaulted, the CC models will do an excellent job of dealing with whatever hit your lines. In the former, you will do enough wounds to prevent excess attacks but hopefully will stick and you have 4 models who will serve as meatshields in CC.

Dooley
03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Again I feel left out of this conversation due to the fact that the book ISNT EVEN OUT YET!

somerandomdude
03-15-2011, 02:57 PM
but capable of killing 9 MEQ without the charge.

Um, is anyone else reading this?

You're sold on falchions because of what they can do when they are charged by a regular MEQ squad?

You realize that a Falchion-equiped Purifier squad will never be charged by a regular MEQ squad, right? You'll be shot (a lot) first, and then charged by FC or powerweapons, or both.

A squad full of Falchions would only have results on the charge, or being charged by TH/SS, SG, etc. as those are the only situations that would occur. You're much better off doing a mixture, or going all Halberds with psychic powers to enhance.

bonedale
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Um, is anyone else reading this?

You're sold on falchions because of what they can do when they are charged by a regular MEQ squad?

You realize that a Falchion-equiped Purifier squad will never be charged by a regular MEQ squad, right? You'll be shot (a lot) first, and then charged by FC or powerweapons, or both.

So you are saying a grey hunter squad, which is the most common unit in the game right now is going to NOT charge? A wolf guard sarg with power fist, regular power fist and MofW will hurt like hell. And that is a cheaper unit. What, are they going to stand 12" and shoot and then take a charge?

Or do you think BA marines/death co who would get Furious Charge would also sit back? 10 death co with chap, can wipe out an entire purifier unit at I5 with plain old sticks. So I think the debate is more than fair.

Obviously people will try to shoot them, and anything else for that matter. Welcome to 40k.

But seriously I hope you're right. My new strat will be give them Shrouding, and use that cover to "push" my opponents off the board.

A squad full of Falchions would only have results on the charge, or being charged by TH/SS, SG, etc. as those are the only situations that would occur. You're much better off doing a mixture, or going all Halberds with psychic powers to enhance.

So you're thinking is scary units only charge, no one in their right mind would charge them, unless they wanted to risk an equally scary unit to the cause. Personally, I prefer to not find the toughest fight for my best guys, dice gods already have enough say in the game.

DarkLink
03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
That makes good sense. And Dethangel's thoughts on boosting GKSSs firepower. So GKSS are the fire support that get in close to support the assaults.

So what about Purifiers/Terminators. What do you think is optimal for their CC.

I feel purifiers for instance, need either halbreds, or falchions. Because they have 2 base attacks, halbreds can make sense. But without a charge bonus against MEQ they are only delivering 4 wounds. Not good enough. So I think falchions it is. 30pt models, yes, but capable of killing 9 MEQ without the charge. The downside is this unit is approaching "overkill" which can be bad or good depending on your style of play.

Currently I am thinking of running purifiers with 7 falchions, 2 special weapons, and 1 plain. I always like to have one plain to remove as the first casualty.

Take a MC Daemonhammer in there, too. You want to be able to extract yourself from a Dreadnought tarpit or instakill enemy models without the need for any psychic tests. And since Hammerhand goes before the doubled strength, you're hitting at str 10:D.

I don't agree that fachions are better than halberds, though. When you kill enemy models before they hit you, you're saving your own models. You might inflict fewer casualties, but against most enemy units that are a real threat to your Purifiers you'll need to hit them first rather than the other way around. Extra attacks from a fachion won't matter if those genestealers kill your whole unit before you strike. Halberds guarantee you get your attacks in against virtually anything in the game, and against things like TWCavalry you can kill their whole unit before they get to hit you.

So unless you know you're fighting orks, I'd stick with halberds. But frankly GKs have plenty of shooting to deal with orks and the like, so in a take all comers list there's no real reason to pick halberds over falchions most of the time.

Well first of all I might be suck playing Grey knights without hands until GW or adepticon FAQ wheather or not falchions + 1 attack in in addition to having two weapons or not.

It depends on how they worded it. I've not seen the actual entry, so I can't say for certain, but the +1A may very well be separate from the +1A for having 2CCW.

But man I really Want to run a paladin squad with 4x psycannons a banner and all halberds with an apothecary.

Don't ever bother with the apothecary. It's absurdly expensive, and not very useful. Paladins already shrug off small arms fire. Anything that is a real shooting threat to the Paladins ignores FNP anyways, so you're paying an absurd amount of points for a useless upgrade. Just buy another Paladin and a few weapon upgrades.

Again I feel left out of this conversation due to the fact that the book ISNT EVEN OUT YET!

Plenty of people have gotten to look through it, though. I haven't even seen it but I know most of what's in it just because of what people have been talking about.

So you are saying a grey hunter squad, which is the most common unit in the game right now is going to NOT charge? A wolf guard sarg with power fist, regular power fist and MofW will hurt like hell. And that is a cheaper unit. What, are they going to stand 12" and shoot and then take a charge?

Yes, actually. Grey Hunters are not CC units. They're just tactical Marines with an extra attack. It's not these guys you need to worry about. If your Grey knights are getting killed by Grey Hunters on the charge you're probably doing something wrong.

Or do you think BA marines/death co who would get Furious Charge would also sit back? 10 death co with chap, can wipe out an entire purifier unit at I5 with plain old sticks. So I think the debate is more than fair.

This is what you need to think about. And this is why Halberds are better than falchions. You let a real assault unit like Death Company get the assault, they'll kill half of your very expensive squad before you get to hit, and now you're no longer killing 9 MEQ when you strike back. Take the Halberds, though, and you get your 4 MEQ, plus fewer of your models die.

Plus halberds are cheaper on purifiers than falchions, I believe.

somerandomdude
03-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Obviously people will try to shoot them, and anything else for that matter. Welcome to 40k.

Thanks for the welcome! Maybe when you run your math you shouldn't assume your full squad is being charged then? Because that will never happen.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned FC and powerweapons as the only things that will charge you. Powerweapons will kill you, FC will go before you. Powerweapons and FC will kill you before you go. Halberds will at least do something.

And if you think Grey Hunters make their living charging powerweapon wielding Space Marines... wow...

So you're thinking is scary units only charge, no one in their right mind would charge them, unless they wanted to risk an equally scary unit to the cause. Personally, I prefer to not find the toughest fight for my best guys, dice gods already have enough say in the game.

No, I think scary units that don't charge better bring a lot to the fight outside of the assault phase for a good price and be a greater risk to assault. Falchions may kill more regular marines, but if any real assault unit charges them, they will be toast and not do a whole lot in return.

Take Falchions if you intend on moving up and launching assaults against units. If you want to take charges (from units that will actually charge) then take Halberds.

That's what my first post was about (the one where you called me a starred-out name) - don't build these guys with the intention of them being charged by regular MEQs. Their base weapons are already a deterrent against that.

bonedale
03-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Take Falchions if you intend on moving up and launching assaults against units. If you want to take charges (from units that will actually charge) then take Halberds.

That's what my first post was about (the one where you called me a starred-out name) - don't build these guys with the intention of them being charged by regular MEQs. Their base weapons are already a deterrent against that.

I am basing my "math", using the term loosely on MEQ stats, not on it being a plain old tact squad. WS4, T4, I4 etc. It is nothing more than a base stat so you can calculate something from it.

More than anything, I think purifiers/terminators need to be geared out with something other than the swords. Otherwise they will just be the same as the GKTs of old. Slow, low number of attacks, and easily countered.

So my question is, how are people going to do it? (Besides special weapons, and a hammer, etc.)
For the bulk of the squad, are you going swords, halbreds, falchions, or a mix?

I am really asking this of old GK players, the guys will lots of PAGKs with halbred lying around. If you are going WYSWYG, then...

First, my old Justicars will get their swords removed and I will make GKSS non-special weapon guys with the swords. Then the justicars will be given halbreds and become purifiers and/or interceptors.

Then with a few new kits, I will build out 4 falchions, and 1 hammer out of each. If I get two kits, that is 8 falchions, for a fun over the top squad. Then I can make another purifier squad of my old dudes, with 8 or so halbreds. I'll mix them up as well and see if I like the flexibility over punch.

Two hammers from the boxes go where ever needed, etc. I won't paint the hammer dudes head a distinct purifier color so they can be be flexible as I learn my new GKs.

To make cheap, sword wielding GKSS, I can convert 8 old-style GKs from the bits in the new boxes. Or I just pay for halbreds on guys I don't really intend to push into assault.

Interceptors, well, They need some punch when they shunt for objective grabs, or get assaults on. I see my incins finding a home here with halbreds as a compliment. I see these guys using their speed to drop in, and flame units. Then take assaults with halbreds. I also see hammers in here. But without the dex, I am not sure what the final options are. I am excited to use these guys that's for sure.

DarkLink
03-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Right, purifiers all need some weapon upgrade. Take one MC Daemonhammer, then upgrade the rest with something. Halberds are both the cheapest and best option overall, but you may choose to stick a few falchions on if you have a specific reason to do so.

For Terminators, most should have halberds for free for the same reason, but once again you want one MC Daemonhammer, and I would keep one sword to have a dude to dump power weapon wounds on.

For GKSS, don't waste points on anything but a daemonhammer. They're not a close combat unit, and upgrading the whole unit to try and make them one costs way too many points.

Interceptors, on the other hand, probably deserve a few weapon upgrades, though I wouldn't take many. 1-2 halberds and 1-2 falchions, at most, plus the requisite daemonhammer. Falchions are probably a better choice here, as you need to try and get as many attacks as possible.

It's kinda convenient that the overall best weapon upgrade, the Halberd, is also the most common weapon modeled. Too bad it's too expensive to be worth it on GKSS.

dethangel
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
if the number of attack are a problem. then take a chap master and use the counter-attack strategy for d3 units and you will get +1A even if the unit gets assaulted. for purifiers that should (with 8 halberds) net you 24 I6 attacks for around 12 hits and( give or take)6 PW wounds even when assaulted.plus posibly 1or 2 kills from cleansing flame. that will leave very little to strike back even with FC.
now on the interseptors, falchons could be very handy. combined with counter-attack that 3A each(3hammer attacks for the justicar at I1) but at I4. i would use these guys for taking out enemy support units. long fangs and stuff.

Lemt
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
10 GKs with 2 Psycannons, Hammer and Rhino. Flexible, and not TOO expensive. I wouldn't bother with psybolt ammo on them, however. At 20 S5 shots, you'll kill 3 MEQs per turn. 20 S4 shots, a little over two. IMHO the two psycannons are much better than the psybolt ammo, for the same price. Those two Psycannons will kill 2 MEQs per turn if stationary, plus you'll still have 16 S4 shots.

DarkLink
03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Take psycannons first. Take as many psycannons as you can without diluting your staying power in CC too much (that just means be careful about loading up purifier/purgation squads with too many psycannons).

If you have points left over, take psybolts. Only take them if you have a full squad, it's not worth the extra cost to only buff 5-6 storm bolters. If you have 7+, then it starts to become worth it.

Now, 8 str 5 storm bolters is nice, but you're not just taking them for the extra anti-infantry. The extra Str doesn't actually add that much anti infantry damage, especially when compared to taking another GK instead. What psybolts let you do is hurt vehicles. You can now glance Rhinos, kill Chimeras/Raiders/Land Speeders easily, and if you get a shot on rear armor you have a decent chance of doing damage.

Grey Knights are now the best army in the game for suppressing enemy vehicles, between str 5 Storm Bolters, tons of Psycannons and psyfleman Dreads. Take advantage of that, because it's how GKs will be able to compete with heavily mechanized armies like BA, SW and IG. Each of those armies has a lot of firepower coming at you, all centered around their vehicles. Being able to counter that is vital to any competitive list.

mercer
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I've been looking at Grey Knights and done two test games and really it comes down to the unit size. Psycannons are cheap and affective so you'll be using those Grey Knights mostly as fire support until the monstrous creatures are dead or mech is clear. Seems they're standing mid field-ish psybolt ammo will be handy. Sure S5 shots will only glance av11 but it can immobilise it which is what you want for a start. Against monstrous creatures you have better chance of putting wounds on and of course dealing with infantry. Problem is this makes the expensive Grey Knights cost 4 points more each if you take a squad of 5. If you take a squad of 10 then it's 2 points each and a good buy. I've looked at incinerator but it costs too much and in todays mech environment anti armour is needed.

So considering that Grey Knights are mostly a fire support unit who can act a a close combat unit I'd live them as that. You really have to take psycannons because of 5th edition which means you're not assaulting with those nice force weapons, so if you're blasting psycannons it's probably best not to add more points into the unit with different nemesis weapons.

As for halberds, good going first but not enough attacks. Falchions really kick *** and worth the points. Though just remember, Grey Knights are still normal Marines!

bonedale
03-30-2011, 09:23 AM
I do find it ironic that all my old models don't make sensible GKSS. All those halberds! I just can't see myself buying new kits to make GKSS. I will buy one kit, giving me 5 swords, combined with old swords, I can convert one GKSS shooting squad from my metals.

So for the short term, I will be playing with the other builds for troops besides GKSS. Purifiers or Paladins.

Can someone with the dex, or a good handle on the actual cost, compare the following units for me:

(A) GKSS; 2 psycannons, 8 swords, Psy Ammo (fire support unit)

(B) GKPurifiers; 2 psycannons, 7 halberds, 1 hammer (generalized unit, good overall)

(C) GKPurifiers; 4 Psycannons, 1 sword / 4 halberds, 1 hammer (combat squad, creates static firebase & small cc unit)

(D) GKPurifiers; 9 halberds, 1 hammer (pure CC)

Lemt
03-30-2011, 11:05 AM
In order of cost (cheapest to most expensive):
A D B C
The difference in cost between A and C is 33. But remember to have Purifiers as troops you need Crowe, a very bad HQ.

Kawauso
03-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Everyone keeps saying Crowe is 'bad'.

I think people need to realize that what he is is 'balanced'.

He's quite cheap, and you can hide him easily behind vehicles (or in empty ones), and you can send him into combat with a big, nasty unit of some sort (like an MC, Dreadnought, or some crazy horde unit you're afraid of) and he has a decent chance of taking it out on his own. In particular he has a decent chance of taking out single models that are a threat to you because of Heroic Sacrifice. You can send him in against a Trygon (which costs 33% more than he does, base) and he can fight it out with the dude, and maybe win. Now, he probably won't win, but should he die, all he has to do is pass a psychic test and land an attack (with WS8) and then he takes out the model regardless of how many wounds it has or what type of saves it gets.

He has two drawbacks. That hardly makes him 'bad' considering the sort of things he can do for the price he is.

Units that aren't all-upside are not inherently 'bad'. :P

DarkLink
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
150pts for a 2 wound model that can't hide with a unit is not "balanced". Crowe sucks. Any army that includes him needs to waste effort trying to shoehorn him in when you should be spending points on actual, effective units.

You can make Crowe work, and purifiers are good enough that they might make up for his loss. Bur Crowe is not "balanced". There are some very, very specific situations where he is good, such as if your opponent is dumb enough to bring in his trygon right next to Crowe. Otherwise, trying to get Crowe to do anything useful is somewhat difficult because of how he can't hitch a ride.

The Sanguinor and Mephiston can pull off the not-IC thing because they're tough with lots of wounds and they're jump infantry so they don't need transports. Crowe is neither.

bonedale
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
I plan on using Crowe to support a firebase unit. Maybe it's a GKSS, or gun heavy Purifier unit. He will just have to catch up to them since they will have scooted to a shooting position via rhino/razor. But he will catchup by t2, and provide valuable CC support to a unit that really needs to shoot as long as possible.

33 pts difference in those options! Crazy. Doesn't make a good case for GKSS in my opinion. THanks for the comp Lemt.

Kawauso
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I remain unconvinced, DarkLink.

I don't see how it would be hard to get Crowe around behind a Rhino or Razorback (or two or three) or a Land Raider. Or Dreadnought.

Heck, with something like a Dreadnought he seems like he might make a good counter-attack unit. Or he could hang back with a Purgation squad.

I don't think he 'sucks', at any rate.

DarkLink
03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
That's your only real hope. Though good luck hiding him behind a Dreadnough. You can see through your legs.

But beyond LOS issues, he's also slow. Between trying to keep him hidden and not being able to hitch a ride, he's worthless against any army that isn't going to come to you, and there are plenty of those.

Look at it this way: GK HQs add a lot of things to your army. Inquisitors have some cheap options, Grand Masters have Grenades and the Grand Strategy, Librarians have a #$%-ton of psychic powers, all of which add a lot of value to your list.

Crowe, on the other hand, has an equally long list of drawbacks. He makes Purifiers scoring, sure, but literally every other thing he does is either unneeded (do you really need one more cleansing flame in an army of Purifiers?), or is a big drawback (non-IC, grants enemies buffs).

You can make Crowe work. That does not make him good. You are making him work in spite of himself. Crowe relies exclusively on Purifiers being really good in order to make up for his weaknesses.

Kawauso
03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I understand the issues you're pointing out, and they are a problem when using Crowe...but I don't think they're all that bad, really.

His slow speed is probably, I think, his biggest weakness. But even if he's just running across the board toward a stationary target, he should be able to make it there by turn 3-4. Yes, that's slow, but he's probably going to murder or tie up whatever unit he gets into combat with. Failing that, he can go on a suicide mission for Heroic Sacrifice.

Like I said before, another way to get around that is to use him as a counter-attack unit.

Failing either of those, he can jack a cheap transport from a unit that doesn't really need it so much, like a Purgation squad.

You make a lot of really valid points on his weaknesses as a unit (and yes, the other HQ options in the codex are much more 'in your face awesome'), but I still don't think he's as difficult to cater to in a build as you're making him out to be.

To each his own, I guess. :)

Sonikgav
03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Hes got his weaknesses but hes not the Liability alot seem to be painting him as.

NOONE wants to see him get into combat with them, especially if he's bee-lining for the most expensive charachter on the board so hes either going to attract alot of fire from the rest of my army or hes gonna pull a combat unit out of position from someone dumb enough to want to 'take advantage' of the charge bonus.

Hes also got a 2+/4++ save too. Hes better protected than a Paladin so hes not quite as flimsy as people are making out. Hold this guy back long enough for a low save Horde to get into charge range, like Orks with a Warboss, with Cleansing Flame and his 'everything in Base contact attack' thing he could easily crush the unit and with his final gasp take out the Warboss.

As long as he reaches combat he's more than capable of making his points back. Id say almost Guaranteed if hes the one that charges.

Ill admit though, he is better matched up against Hordes than he is against say Power Armour or Terminators.

plawolf
03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
The only way I see Crowe making his points back directly is if he was used as a trap.

Crowe as a counter-charge unit is inherently a bad idea since he grants FC to whatever charges him. But in order to make a good counter charge unit, he would ideally be sitting near a valuable shooty unit you want to keep safe. But with granting FC to the attacker, there is a real risk he will do more harm than good babysitting as a decent sized enemy squad would likely be able to multicharge him and whatever he was trying to protect...

But you can work that to your advantage, for example, by setting him near some halbert GK purifiers. Free FC is good and all, but even with the I boost, most units are still going last against halberts, and 2x cleansing flame might make a bigger dint then one might expect. And if the enemy is foolish enough to let one of their own HQs get in combat with Crowe, you can enjoy happy days, as even if he dies, Crowe could potentially make his points back and then some if he HS an expensive enemy HQ as he goes down.

He is very situational, I will grant you that, but he could provide some interesting choice dilemmas for your opponent and also potentially affect him psychologically as he wastes time and effort either pondering why the hell you picked Crowe, especially if you don't go nuts with purifiers, or underestimating your list because conventional wisdom is you don't take Crowe unless you are too green to realise how big of a liability he could potentially be.

Kawauso
03-30-2011, 10:25 PM
How does his FC boon to opponents hurt his counter-attack value?

A counter-attack unit shouldn't be getting charged. It should be heading out to pre-emptively strike a unit that's moving in on one of your ranged/stationary units, or it should charge into an existing combat to bail them out.

He only grants FC to a unit that assaults him, specifically. Ideally, you're going to want to do what you can to ensure that doesn't happen.

DarkLink
03-31-2011, 04:38 AM
Without a vehicle he's too slow to reliably preemptively assault anything. Unless you feel like buying a Land Raider just for him.

Bean
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
On the matter of the OP:

Strike Squads should take two psycannons, maybe a Hammer on the Justicar, maybe master-craft the Hammer, and take a Rhino, or maybe a Razorback. That's about it, really. Falchions and Halberds are basically over-costed on Strike Squads.