PDA

View Full Version : Plasticard

dmcq
03-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi everybody!

Anybody know where you can get plasticard in Ireland??

Many Thx in advance

SonicPara
03-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Go to a hardware store and look for "For Sale" signs. Many of them are made out of plasticard. It is very thick plasticard, but plasticard all the same

Njed
03-15-2011, 06:12 AM
If you search for High Impact Polystyrene sheet you'll find Plasticard very cheap. This is something I recently discovered in the UK. Alot of signage makers use it. Large sheets (I'm talking A1) cost a few pounds, as opposed to a couple of quid for a few A4 sheets.
Hope this helps!

Grailkeeper
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
This is something I always wondered as well.

One thing I was told is that Id cards/ visas etc are made of plasticard- if you go to college you can probably pick up some used printer credit cards but thats a small amount of plasticard

Brass Scorpion
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Plastic card ("plasticard") comes in ABS or polystyrene. Polystyrene is preferrable because then you can glue it to your model kits with the same plastic cement you are already using. ABS tends to require other kinds of glue.

Plastruct sells by mail. (http://www.plastruct.com/) And you can write to Evergreen Scale Models (http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/)and they will tell you who sells their products near you. Both sell a lot more than just plain plastic card, they sell card with various textures and patterns, rod, tube, H-beams, I-beams, and more.

Lane
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
If you search for High Impact Polystyrene sheet you'll find Plasticard very cheap. This is something I recently discovered in the UK. Alot of signage makers use it. Large sheets (I'm talking A1) cost a few pounds, as opposed to a couple of quid for a few A4 sheets.
Hope this helps!

The same is true in the US. Recently wen to a plastic supply company in town and purchased a 4' x 8' sheet of .060" styrene for under $25. In comparison one online store lists 4 sheets 12" x 24" (1/4 of what I got) for $26.29 and a single 6" x 12" sheet is $2.49. While not practical for everybody it is a huge savings, good for a group purchase.