PDA

View Full Version : Some questions from grey knights codex

Smotku
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
played a game yesterday at my FLGS and used their store copy of the Grey knights codex. These are a couple of questions that came up during the game. since it was a friendly game we just diced it off but the questions still remain.

1 Culexus assassin gets an additional shot for every psycker within 12 inches. A grey knights squad counts as one psyker for this purpose. a. what if you combat squad a 10 man squad? counts 1 or 2 for culexes?

2. Does the Jokero buff that extends weapon ranges by 12 inches extend rapid fire range and Melta range as well?
ie does a melta gun get 2 dice for pentration at 12 inches?

3 Does Coteaz rule that allows him and his hench to shoot at deep strikers with in 12 allow him to shoot at the contents of a drop pod or just the drop pod?

Doing this at home from memory and dont have the Grey knights codex with me so please dont ask for exact citation.

gwensdad
03-13-2011, 01:25 PM
played a game yesterday at my FLGS and used their store copy of the Grey knights codex. These are a couple of questions that came up during the game. since it was a friendly game we just diced it off but the questions still remain.

1 Culexus assassin gets an additional shot for every psycker within 12 inches. A grey knights squad counts as one psyker for this purpose. a. what if you combat squad a 10 man squad? counts 1 or 2 for culexes?

2. Does the Jokero buff that extends weapon ranges by 12 inches extend rapid fire range and Melta range as well?

3 Does Coteaz rule that allows him and his hench to shoot at deep strikers with in 12 allow him to shoot at the contents of a drop pod or just the drop pod?

Doing this at home from memory and dont have the Grey knights codex with me so please dont ask for exact citation.

1) Combat squading makes for 2 squads so, yes 2 psykers.

2) a) I'd have to look up rapid fire to see if it specifically says "12" or says half maximum
b) I'd say "yes", since the melta trait is based on half range.

3) depends if you think of the unit in the pod as deep striking. I'd say "Yes", since the unit in the pod counts as deep striking that turn.

Whoop!
03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
3) units that arrive via deepstriking vehicle are considered to be deep striking

ArchonPhelps
03-13-2011, 01:33 PM

2a) on page 28 it says that rapid fire is 12". now if you wanted to stand still and shoot it would increase its range from base 24" to 36".
2b) on Pg 32 it says that at half range or less you get to roll a an extra D6. So that Meltagun now has range 24" and rolls 2D6 within 12"

Smotku
03-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Pretty much consistant with what I was thinking on these questions. However, as regards to groups of psykers, do the othe codexs such as IG and eldar define a group as being one psyker like the grey knights does?
I dont run either of those armies so I havent read relevent entries.

gcsmith
03-13-2011, 03:58 PM
If bothe the pod and unit count as deepstiking wouldnt u be able to shoot both since your not linited in units u can shoot.

Also I have a jokero question? wat effect does the 12" extra range have on flamers?

Morgan Darkstar
03-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Also I have a jokero question? what effect does the 12" extra range have on flamers?

I would guess that it has no effect, as the flamer has no range only a template.

gcsmith
03-13-2011, 04:11 PM
well There are range template weapons, Im just wandering if it would add 12" to where the templates start.

Demonicsarge55
03-13-2011, 05:36 PM
The weaponsmith(?) rule extends the range of all ranged weapons excluding template wepons by 12 inches.

DarkLink
03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Right, templates by default have no range, and you can't add range to a template. Certain template weapons have a special rule that allows them to be fired at a certain range, but this is not standard.

Pretty much consistant with what I was thinking on these questions. However, as regards to groups of psykers, do the othe codexs such as IG and eldar define a group as being one psyker like the grey knights does?
I dont run either of those armies so I havent read relevent entries.

The Grey Knight codex defines the unit as a single psyker. Other codices that have abilities versus psykers would only target the single model that is considered a psyker as a result.

Fellend
03-13-2011, 08:52 PM
As for rapid fire isn't that unchanged? I might be wrong with this but if i remember correctly it doesn't matter if the weapons range 24" or 18" (hot shots) the rapid fire range is still 12". That would mean that even if you increase the range of the bolter to 36" rapid would still be 12" no?

steelmage99
03-14-2011, 03:17 AM
One thing to keep in mind.

Rapid Fire range is 12", not "half the weapons range".

EDIT.
'
Ninja'ed

Culven
03-14-2011, 07:24 PM
One thing to keep in mind.
Rapid Fire range is 12", not "half the weapons range".
EDIT.
Ninja'ed
Actually, to be more precise, there is no such thing as "Rapid Fire Range". Rapid Fire weapons have a range value which is used when the Unit firing them doesn't move (or doesn't count as Moving) AND the target isn't within 12". If the Unit moves and/or the Target Unit is within 12", then special rules for the weapon come into play. Some players refer to this as "Rapid Fire Range" or state that the Unit will be "rapid firing", but buy the rules, neither term is defined and might lead to confusion for some players (typically those not as fluent in English or those who think that "rapid fire" is an optional mode of fire for Rapid Fire weapons.

Caldera02
03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Tau Fire Warriors have already set the precedent for extended range on rapid fire weapons. they have 30 inch range but still can only fire 12 inches if they have moved.

Culven
03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
The Kroot Gun is my favorite example of the two-shot range being completely independant of the weapon's range.

thecactusman17
03-15-2011, 03:32 PM

I would suggest that much as I hate this, the two squads are considered separate units and thus seperate psykers. Because I would expect that each of the units can still use their own psychic powers (they don't need the Justicar for that).

After the recent way that Night Shields affect range weapons, I would suggest that both are correct. Rapid Fire and ranged fire would both extend by 12", Melta range would double as the full range doubles. Flamers would remain as Template and thus have no additional range.

All units that enter the table from a deep striking transport on the turn it arrives count as deep striking for the duration of that turn. So yes, they can shoot at a unit coming out of a drop pod. Or a Deep Striking Land Raider, or whatever else may count in such a way.

Thankfully, many of these questions have been answered by the design of the Dark Eldar book, related FAQs, and FAQs for the last several Marines chapters.

DarkLink
03-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Rapid Fire and ranged fire would both extend by 12", Melta range would double as the full range doubles.

Rapid fire is alway 2 shots at 12", and 1 shot out to whatever the max range of the weapon is. There's no rapid fire mode or ranged fire mode. So bolters would shoot twice at 12" and once out to 36".

And yes, meltaguns would have a bigger melta range. Melta is 1/2 the range of the weapon, and you're increasing the range of the weapon so you get an extra 6" of 2d6 range.

dannyat2460
03-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Ya thats correct rapid fire weapons 2 within 12" melta extra 6" on original melta range.

The problem is most of the GK arsonal is assault weapons (storm bolters that are S5 for them(20point upgrade for the entire squad))