PDA

View Full Version : Dreadknight

RedWidow
03-12-2011, 08:03 PM
After seeing one built on youtube...Wow! Incredible model...

Naysayers need to reconsider.

Grailkeeper
03-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Link?

jorz192
03-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I actually really like the model, I don't know where you saw it on youtube, but it's an interesting model.
It does look like the walker things from the matrix but they looked cool too.

And in a dreadknight a grey knight would not have to strike at a greater daemon's legs.

BuFFo
03-12-2011, 08:44 PM
The model is nice, I don't doubt that.

It is the concept that is stupid.

HsojVvad
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM

I guess that is like our Doom of Malan'Tai. Space Marines on Wolves. I don't know what the Blood Angels or Dark Eldar Over the Top unit is, but it seems most have to have one now.

I guess we will get use to it. ;)

lobster-overlord
03-12-2011, 10:52 PM

It's a fabulous model, from a modeling perspective, but exactly as BuFFo states here, it's stupid. It is not Imperium design. It's better suited to Tau, or even as an Eldar War Walker more than a space marine unit.

This may be my first foray into making a looted item for Orks. I thought it would be funny to see this with a giant nob sitting in front carrying a giant choppa rather than the thunder hammer.

DarkLink
03-13-2011, 12:06 AM
It's not an imperial design. Literally. The Gks managed to dredge up some from somewhere left over from the dark ages, and they refuse to share it with anyone else. Shows how much authority the Gks have, that they can blatantly disregard Adeptus Mechanicus edicts.

battling_beast
03-13-2011, 12:33 AM
cant agru with that i mean ba havent shared the baal pred

fuzzbuket
03-13-2011, 02:39 AM
or codex marines havent shared the LSS, thunderfire, and ironclad...... oh wait

The Madman
03-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Link?
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1710176a_99120107003_DreadKnight01_873x627.jpg

saved you a link to the GW site.
as for me i'm replacing the torso with a defiler's and chaosing it up for my defilers.

Slind
03-13-2011, 06:32 AM
I wen't down yesterday to se the new models and I have to say, that the Dreadknight is so over the top awesome! So dynamic and intimidating. I totally agree that the first blurred pictures made it look ackward, but in real life, it is a winner - no doubt about it.

gcsmith
03-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Im defo planning to turn it into an inquisition vehicle, with a henchman pilot, make it look like some mining equipment or lumberjack equipment 'aquired' on the way to a bust up.

U can tell i wanna do inquisition army over a GK army :p

justsam
03-13-2011, 07:39 AM
i want to daemon it up for my upcoming soul forge army, and my friend wants to make it into an iron warriors daemon prince too. if they won't share it, then we'll bloody well take it from them.

The Madman
03-13-2011, 07:54 AM
i want to daemon it up for my upcoming soul forge army, and my friend wants to make it into an iron warriors daemon prince too. If they won't share it, then we'll bloody well take it from them.

glory to the dark gods, brother!

doom-kitten
03-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Agree 100% however to me the model looks corny and yay how many years we gotta wait til every marine army is stomping around in some new armoured body suit, maybe in a couple years they'll have gundams.

Grailkeeper
03-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks madman but I meant to the youtube vid.

I saw one in real life today- it was a little smaller than I imagined but it was only partially assembled.

The powerpack on the back is very similar to a Dreads- same style smoke stacks. Curiously it had a mechanium skull symbol on the back which seems counter the fluff

imperialsavant
03-13-2011, 09:51 PM
When I first saw the pic I thought WOW!
But now I have sen it in close detail I think its really UGLY & I am a GK player who has lusted after some new shiney stuff.
I will NOT be buying this one!

MrGiggles
03-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Well, even if you're not into that model, there are definitely some new and fun units to play around with.

Now, as an Ork player, I see that model and really, really want to loot one.

Uncle Nutsy
03-21-2011, 01:50 AM
so, a marine decided to train in how to pilot an exosuit.

Did someone at GW watch Avatar and go 'ooh hey, let's do that!'?

Skragger
03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
It's a perfect example of that old saying "function over form" - The Dreadknight looks pretty damn cool, but for overall feasability, the Drednought is a bit more realistic.

When the Ordos were designing this thing someone said "Hey guys! I gotta great idea! Lets stick the driver on the OUTSIDE!" A large rocket to nearly anything on this sucker would most likely kill the driver instantly. Imagine if the driving controls for a tank were all on the outside.

Love the model, looking forward to converting one into a Deff Dred, but overall, a very silly concept.

wittdooley
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
It's a perfect example of that old saying "function over form" - The Dreadknight looks pretty damn cool, but for overall feasability, the Drednought is a bit more realistic.

When the Ordos were designing this thing someone said "Hey guys! I gotta great idea! Lets stick the driver on the OUTSIDE!" A large rocket to nearly anything on this sucker would most likely kill the driver instantly. Imagine if the driving controls for a tank were all on the outside.

Love the model, looking forward to converting one into a Deff Dred, but overall, a very silly concept.

Be reminded that the pilot is in full terminator armour.

DrLove42
03-21-2011, 09:01 AM
I love the idea that its a giant metal exoskeleton, like a penitant or a sentinel, but somehow can't be immobilised by a melta gun chewing through it?

Skragger
03-21-2011, 09:16 AM

While this is very true, he also has a nicely exposed head, a good chance a chunk of shrapnel will land in that fleshy face of his!

Its like the segeants with no helmets concept: not only does it show off who is in charge of the squad, it makes it real easy for snipers!

Lemt
03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
The fluff says the pilot is protected by shields, so yeah. They just wanted you to see the mini because it looks cooler. I guess is the same reason women tend to fight wars in bikinis in games.

Skragger
03-21-2011, 09:31 AM
The fluff says the pilot is protected by shields, so yeah. They just wanted you to see the mini because it looks cooler. I guess is the same reason women tend to fight wars in bikinis in games.

I can't decide if Sisters of Battle in bikini's is terrifying or not...

Lemt
03-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I can't decide if Sisters of Battle in bikini's is terrifying or not...

YES.

Oh wait, sorry. I didn't read past the "Sisters of Battle in bikini" part. :p

Paul
03-21-2011, 11:49 AM

You can tell by the Terminator helmet he is wearing.

Also, if the pilot is protected by shields, then wouldn't he be more protected by Metal Plates (TM) AND shields?

Skragger
03-21-2011, 12:14 PM
You can tell by the Terminator helmet he is wearing.

Also, if the pilot is protected by shields, then wouldn't he be more protected by Metal Plates (TM) AND shields?

It must be an option then, all the pics I've seen have a hatless bloke:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GW-Grey-Knights-Dreadknight.jpg

Paul
03-21-2011, 12:16 PM
It must be an option then, all the pics I've seen have a hatless bloke:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GW-Grey-Knights-Dreadknight.jpg

I was being sarcastic; I hate the dreadknight. He's not wearing a helmet. But he has mystical force shields that every other vehicle and troop in the Imperium seems to have forgotten about.

I still think he would be well-served by a helmet.

Skragger
03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I was being sarcastic; I hate the dreadknight. He's not wearing a helmet. But he has mystical force shields that every other vehicle and troop in the Imperium seems to have forgotten about.

I still think he would be well-served by a helmet.

I love how its said. "He has a shield".. "Like.. DUH!"

It's got that cop-out feel to it... I can see the GW planning sessions now!

"Hey, maybe you should sculpt a helmet on him?"
"Naaaah, that'd look silly! We'll just say he has a 'shield' instead, they'll totally buy it!"

Maybe he's afraid the helmet will constrict his field of view? Doesn't want that letterbox format most 'Dreds suffer through.

Connjurus
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
It's not an imperial design. Literally. The Gks managed to dredge up some from somewhere left over from the dark ages, and they refuse to share it with anyone else. Shows how much authority the Gks have, that they can blatantly disregard Adeptus Mechanicus edicts.

You mean like the Blood Angels do with their Baal Predators?

The Grey Knights are powerful and all, but any Imperial Organization flagrantly denies the Adeptus Mechanicum's requests at its own peril. It's arguably the most powerful organization in the Imperium.

eagleboy7259
03-21-2011, 12:49 PM
On second look it kind of reminds me of those battlesuits from avatar, or the ones from the matrix...

http://www.superheroesbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/amp_suit_1.jpg

http://www.nra.co.za/content/apu73.jpg

Paul
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
On second look it kind of reminds me of those battlesuits from avatar, or the ones from the matrix...

http://www.nra.co.za/content/apu73.jpg

I agree that it looks like that.

I find it funny that both the Dreadknight and this thing claim to be armored;

I only see one armor plate on the entire "Armored Personnel Unit" and it's on the legs.

DarkLink
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Unlike the Matrix suits, the pilot of the Dreadknight is in frikin' Terminator armor. No need for some sort of armored cockpit for him.

wittdooley
03-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Aside from the fact that he's in Terminator armour, why is it so hard to believe he has a energy shield similar to an Iron Halo, Rosarius field, or Kustom Force Field. I mean, seriously.

Paul
03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Aside from the fact that he's in Terminator armour, why is it so hard to believe he has a energy shield similar to an Iron Halo, Rosarius field, or Kustom Force Field. I mean, seriously.

It's not that it's hard to believe. It's that he would still benefit from armored plates.

Think of it this way: He's T6 with a shield and termy armor.

Imagine what he would be with a shield, termy armor, and 200mm of Plassteel plating?

fuzzbuket
03-21-2011, 03:41 PM
arfter seeing a few posts whineing abouit the knights lack of helmet i bting you

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/slipwing/Grey%20Knights/DreadKnight03.jpg

oh look its from the GW site

oh wait theres like 5 pointless I CBA to check GW messages.

-fuzz

Lemt
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
arfter seeing a few posts whineing abouit the knights lack of helmet i bting you

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/slipwing/Grey%20Knights/DreadKnight03.jpg

oh look its from the GW site

oh wait theres like 5 pointless I CBA to check GW messages.

-fuzz

You CAN use a head without helmet, however.

Connjurus
03-21-2011, 05:58 PM
You CAN use a head without helmet, however.

Which is stupid whether you're in a Dreadknight or not in the 41st millennium. All of my models have helmets. Even Abaddon has a helmet. Helmetless models are dumb.

Skragger
03-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Which is stupid whether you're in a Dreadknight or not in the 41st millennium. All of my models have helmets. Even Abaddon has a helmet. Helmetless models are dumb.

Its true, I don't care if you're wearing armour designed for tanks over your entire body.. It makes it that much easier for a sniper, or stray bullet, or stray piece of shrapnel to end your life.

Lemt
03-22-2011, 07:42 AM
But what if you're a Space Wolf? You can't SMELL with a helmet. How will you aim then? With your EYES?

Skragger
03-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Isn't aiming by smell how us Orkz do it?

Can you imagine the sweat stank in one of those marine helmets?

fuzzbuket
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
- can we get back on topic about the knight?!

i love it and its a fantasict kit... the weapons (par the hammer) look awsome the rider cool and IRL it makes fexes look like popcorn!

Archon
03-22-2011, 12:19 PM
OK on topic: For me this kit is a big ugly robot holding his child in a chest-holder like some people do with their kiddies. Looks like a romper suit for the little grey knight yust a soother is missing. If only they choose to hide the pilot it could be a very fine kit, but so ... a big no from me.

But it seems to be a nice base for a knight-titan:cool:

AJ86
03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
I just had a look at it in GW and I actually quite like it. I do think the shoulder straps are a little romper suit like, but generally its quite cool. I think it is the perfect base for a knight titan, something i will hopefully be exploring very soon!!!

Dr Cthulhu
04-04-2011, 06:41 PM

But every time I see it, I want to throw up. GW could have done something better. It should have looked like: this Pre-Heresy Dreadnought (http://www.underthecouch.net/utc/modules/gallery/album128/PreHeresyDreadnought8) or this one : Pre-Heresy Luna Wolves Dreadnought (http://z15.invisionfree.com/The_Great_Crusade/index.php?showtopic=3417&st=180&#entry4744150)

but a little bigger.

Dalleron
04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
If you could hide the pilot, would you not have a dreadnaught instead?

wkz
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
OK on topic: For me this kit is a big ugly robot holding his child in a chest-holder like some people do with their kiddies. Looks like a romper suit for the little grey knight yust a soother is missing. If only they choose to hide the pilot it could be a very fine kit, but so ... a big no from me.

But it seems to be a nice base for a knight-titan:cool:

Well, the plasteel argument earlier in the thread gave me an idea: why not take some plasticard, and convert the front of the Dreadknight into an enclosed cockpit?

Post Pics here, please, if you make the above happen...

Brettila
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM

FINALLY, one other person who agrees with me! I don't like it at all. The legs are too big, and so help me, it looks like some type of mecha-action figure toy.

George Labour
04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Actually knight suits have a special kind of force shield that isn't the same as void shields used by their larger titan bretheren. The DK's shield is just a slightly smaller version of that. So it's not the only imperial weapon to have such an esoteric proctection.

AS for being outside the vehicle. It's probably easier to use one's psychic senses and powers when not encased inside a metal box. Sides, terminator armor is strong enough that a titan stepping on it can be just a minor inconvenience.