PDA

View Full Version : Need help on a new project SW or CSM?

Grabula
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
So with some tax money coming to me I want to start a new 40K project, I'm just not sure what yet lol. I've narrowed it down to either Space Wolves or Chaos Space Marines. I'm in the process of reading through the SW Codex now and so far so good but I"m also a big fan of Chaos Space Marines. Both armies are aggressive in profile and fluff, and suit my play style I believe bot harmies also offer a lot of modelling potential.

What I'm looking for in a new project is a few things:

- Mostly, if not all plastic. I may end up converting some figs for characters and whatnot.
- Some custom modelling but a solid paint by numbers base. Ideally I could get this army finished at a comfortable 2K in points in a few months.
- Characterful
- Must be solidly competitive but not over the top (I think both armies can fit this description but it's possible Space Wolves can easily be pushed over the top)

Space Wolves make thing pretty easy but I"m a little nervous that they seem to be the flavor of the month. Chaos would be cool and i'm leaning towards an Abaddon led "14th Black Crusade" type army.

Any thoughts or advice to help push me one way or another?

JxKxR
03-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Come to CHAOS! People think it's a sheep of a codex but really it's a wolf in sheeps clothing! You just have to take some stuff that can be a bit risky.

There are a lot more conversion possisbilities with Chaos thanks to the fantasy range.

Plus I can tell you really want to do chaos so just give in to the dark side.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
03-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I have played both armies so i think i can give a honest opinion. I had 6k points of CSM and love the modelling aspect and I personally love being the bad guy. However I would go with space wolves. In a modelling aspect the new kits and a little green stuff can give you just as much fun putting these guys together. Also with the new SW codex you can jump right in and play competitively without being a metagamer. CSM arent scheduled for a update for a while according to the rumor mill. both are extremly fun I just think the wolves are a better choice for now. just one mans opinion

Mazelf
03-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Well I own both armies, I play a nurgle themed CSM list and usually mix up the different SW styles (ML spam, Razorback list, Thunderwolf cav) altho Ive never actually tried logan wing...

Ive got to say, I do win much more with the SW army but CSM have awesome units like demon princes and possesed marines, fabius bile, I like the random (or chaotic if I may) aspect of the army and it usually gives me more fun games as there is an element of surprise, SW are much more of a methodical army. I would play SW if I wanted to be competitive tho... just my 2c.

Grabula
03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I generally lean towards chaos but the issue is that I"m not a fan of the models in the army that win games - posessed marines, obliterators, that sort of thing and I'm not sure I want to put the work into modelling them so I do. I played a nurgle themed army for some time that was fun but ultimately not as competitive as I would have liked.