PDA

View Full Version : BA's 1.5K List: Dual Land Raiders

timff8
03-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Hi all,

Starting someting new with my Angels, now that I've got my Descent of Angels list all figured out, I'm trying to form my other models into a separate list. I'm thinking a dual-Raider list. Let me know what you think:

Librarian w. Blood Lance and Shield of Sanguinius
Chaplain
10-man Tactical Squad: power weapon, flamer, missile launcher
Land Raider Transport
8-man Death Company Squad: power weapon, power fist
Land Raider Crusader Transport
5-man Assault Squad: Infernus pistol, plasmagun
Rhino Transport
5-man Assault Squad: Infernus pistol, plasmagun
Rhino Transport
Baal Predator: Flamestorm cannon, storm bolter

Total: 1500 pts.

Comments and criticism welcome, let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Tim_ff8

DarkLink
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Don't take tacticals in a LR. You're spending 250pts for the ability to deliver a nasty CC unit into combat, then not taking advantage of that. Tactical Marines don't have the punch to justify that expenditure. Just stick them in a Rhino, or replace them with something else that can threaten your opponent and keep the Land Raider. The only hesitation there is that you lose one of your main scoring units.

Aside from that detail, everything looks good. Death Company are a brutal CC unit with a chaplain and a few weapon upgrades, librarian is great. If you had the models, I would trade out the assault squad rhinos for razorbacks for the extra firepower, but the only real criticism I have is that you need to figure out what to do about the tacticals in the Land Raider.

timff8
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the thought, comments from friends were much the same. So to that end I've re-engineered the list to more of a 'mech with support' theme rahter than a mechanized list. To do the latter, I need more than 2 Preds, I think.

Librarian w. Unleash Rage and Shield of Sanguinius
Chaplain
2 Sanguinary Priests
10-man Tactical Squad: Sergeant w. power weapon, marine w. flamer, marine w. missile
8-man Death Company Squad: Marine w. power weapon, marine w. power fist
Land Raider Crusader Transport
8-man Assault Squad: Sergeant w. infernus pistol, marine w. infernus pistol
Land Raider transport
Devastator Squad: 2 Marines w. lascannons, 2 marines w. missiles

1496 pts.

I'm planning to run the Chappy with the DC(obviously) in the Crusader. The Libby will ride with the Assault squad and one of the priests in the Raider, both tanks together in a Refused Flank I should be able to cover them both with Shield. The Tacs, Devs, and the ther priest will sit in terrain and hold an objective while putting the hurt on infantry and giving covering fire to the Raiders?

Thoughts or comments?

Tim_ff8

Tynskel
03-09-2011, 07:34 PM
I'd hate to give conflicting advise: actually, a standard godhammer patterned land raider is fine for a tactical squad. You combat squad for the heavy weapon to blast away, and then you have a claiming unit just rolling around in slow moving land raider (so you can fire 2 hv weapons a turn). If you need to, you can hop out n' shoot things/ charge things you can.

This makes it a less of a 'big target', because the unit inside is 'weak' (and in your case, the death company is scarier!!!).

timff8
03-10-2011, 02:06 AM
That's a pretty good idea; I do like the general "scoring transport" idea, but it feels like I could use it much better to transport something, at least in the second version of the list I posted. I would really like a better way to run a full mechanized list with 2 Raiders, but I feel that I can't run that at 1.5K points limit. I'm trying to run a list of this size that is substantially different from my 2K DoA list. I've only got 1 Pred and 1 Vindicator, along with 2 Rhinos/Razors. Really, I need more tanks to do a mech list, unless my 2 Dreads can fit in here, but I doubt it. Dreads and speedy mech really don't mesh well, aside from Riflemen, and these are Furiosos.