PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie measurement question?

Morgan Darkstar
03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi people collecting an ig army at the moment and i have a question regarding the valkyrie model.
the rule book states that all measurement apart from assault and embarkation/disembarkation faq, is done to the hull of the valkyrie

so the question i'm asking is do you think it is legal to place another model, such as a leman russ for example directly underneath i.e. on the stand?

Personaly i wouldn't do this but what do you think?

wkz
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
You might want to download the IG FAQ. In a nutshell: still continue measuring from the hull... except for the purposes of contesting objectives and embark/disembark, which is done from the base.

Then again, that portion of the FAQ is the "can be house-ruled" portion, so take from the above what you will...

And no: for the most part in my gaming group, the base is one of the "footprint" of the vehicle... so no overlap allowed. (In fact my group is sterner than that: if a top-down view shows the WINGS are clipping another unit, that's a no-no.)

Tynskel
03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
You might want to download the IG FAQ. In a nutshell: still continue measuring from the hull... except for the purposes of contesting objectives and embark/disembark, which is done from the base.

Then again, that portion of the FAQ is the "can be house-ruled" portion, so take from the above what you will...

And no: for the most part in my gaming group, the base is one of the "footprint" of the vehicle... so no overlap allowed. (In fact my group is sterner than that: if a top-down view shows the WINGS are clipping another unit, that's a no-no.)

Sounds like your group would like playing with me! :)

ArchonPhelps
03-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Concur with above

steelmage99
03-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Not on the base.

Fine under the wing.

Morgan Darkstar
03-04-2011, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the comments i think that going with the fine under wing approach will probably work the best with me and the group i play with. and is how i would have played regardless i am not advocating sitting another unit on it's base just thought it was one of those interesting rules ambiguities.

dcrabb
03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Technically skimmers cannot end their move on top of enemy or friendly models, page 71 of the big rule book. However, what counts as the vehicle for this purpose? Do the wings count or just the hull. The rules for shooting at a vehicle state that you have to be able to draw line of sight to the hull or turret. The rule for moving models on page 11 of the BRB says that you cannot move a model through the "space occupied by another model (which is represented by its base or hull)." Therefore, it would seem that since wings are not part of hull they do not impede movement nor do the prohibit models from being placed under them in any way.
The base is under the hull on a Valk so on the base would not be allowed.

If you couldn't put it under the wing then I would argue that no one would be allowed to put models or bases under the arms, wings, or outstretched weapons of other large models, ie deamon prince, Trygon, Drednaught, penitent engine, etc. Heck you could require a Blood Angels player to require that the wings on the Sanguinfairy guard not overlap with the base of anyone else.

As steelmage99 said, "Not on the base. Fine under the wing"

blackarmchair
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
That's the way we play it too.

Not on the base, but fine under the wing.

steelmage99
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Just look at these pictures.

Are any of the models placed illegally?

http://www.pbase.com/crusader40k/image/118990985.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/crusader40k/image/118991049.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/crusader40k/image/118991018.jpg

dannyat2460
03-08-2011, 04:02 PM
How i play with flyers is for when your moving it as long as you meansure to and from the same place its fine eg measuring from steam to steam. weapons from the weapon mounts ext