PDA

View Full Version : Is my army a girl?

Whoop!
02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
How's it going players? So here's my question, do I refer to my army with a masculine or feminine pronoun?

I mean my army is a thing of beauty, and finicky at the best of times. So I should call her a she right? Then on the other hand what could be more masculine than an army? Does this consideration have to go towards my naming of my Army as well? My latest are called the storm wolves, so I guess that could be masculine or feminine. My neck prions are named the War Clowns, but I guess I could name it Juggelettes.

Either way just figured I'd put it out there, and see if there is any precedents for this kind of question.;)

DarkLink
02-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Does it matter? Call it what you want.

He who shall not be named
02-28-2011, 04:46 PM
In my experience an army is normally referred to in the neuter tense so it would have to be called an "It."

Thats my two cents.

Necron2.0
02-28-2011, 04:47 PM
An army is something with no free will, serving a master who is fickle, vain and cannot tolerate any form of disagreement. It works very hard for no reward and very little appreciation whatsoever. Often it is called upon to sacrifice everything, and it must do so without hesitation or complaint, or else face berating and humiliation. Therefore, all armies are male (married men, to be specific).

Oooh. I'm going to hell for that one, I just know it. ;)

dannyat2460
02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I refer to it as my army, individual models however i refer to it as what its representing eg if its a girl ill say she ext.

not really sure this thread matters tho lol

Mike X
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I refer to it as my army, individual models however i refer to it as what its representing eg if its a girl ill say she ext.

Agreed.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Never thought of proper name for my army like Dave or Betty. I call my space wolves Ragnar's Ravens as it is themed after a certain local football team using their colors. My orcs are the Busta Bikas a def skull brach and i havent though of anything for my Dark eldar they are too new.

Whoop!
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't know, just one geek saying how can you not name your armies? Is it just dice? Not for me. I try to make a competitive Army, but each army has a story. Each army has a style, you know?

A paint job is worth 1000 words, but a name can be worth more.

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Ok. my Space Wolves are now called Eric The Purple and Black, Orcs are now called Bika Betties, and Dark Eldar are now called Detroit. HA!

Grailkeeper
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Something that demands hours of attention and a small fortune to be spent on it before you can get up to anything fun... Sounds like most girls I've gone out with.

Brass Scorpion
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
It is the grammatically correct pronoun.

If ever there was a topic thread on a gamer forum that proved some people have too much time on their hands to waste asking questions about absolutely nothing, this is it. Though there is another topic thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=13108)here on the Lounge even less worthwhile.

Necron2.0
02-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Ok. my Space Wolves are now called Eric The Purple and Black, Orcs are now called Bika Betties, and Dark Eldar are now called Detroit. HA!

OK, you coaxed it out of me. My Black Templars? They are "The Masters of Funk!"

Can you guess how I'm painting these "Battle Bruthas?" They're not called Black Templars for nothing.

Even bought a whole mess of these for conversion:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HCPanLbUnrc/TKOrCjuaROI/AAAAAAAADBs/cCKTPYco3_M/s1600/Dragon+Forge+African+American+Heads.jpg

'Course they need some serious 'fro action going, so some resculpting is in order.

But I have to agree. When I'm not referring to them as "My army," I either refer to them as "The Grand Army of the Blah-ditty-blah," or I just call them "it."

Lockark
02-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't personify my army.

I will refer to the bassic bolter CSM in my CSM army as "goons" thow.

"So that's one dead Melta Gunner and 3 dead goons."

DarkLink
03-01-2011, 12:48 AM
I knew a guy who referred to everything in his army as "fatties", especially Daemon Princes and Obliterators.

eldargal
03-01-2011, 02:53 AM
I call my favourite army Vera.

Not really.

Nosmo75
03-01-2011, 06:11 AM

Not really.

Is it your very favourite army? =P

eldargal
03-01-2011, 06:41 AM
It is.;)

Divergent Reality
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I generally refer to my army in gender neutral terms. Tin heads have no real gender anymore. The only thing that receives a gender mention is the Nightbringer. My wife put boobs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tygriss/1977234357/) on it, so it is a she.

UltramarineFan
03-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I can work for my army, show affection to my army, get annoyed at my army, feel like my army hates me, want a different army, get back to my orignial army, never forget my first army and what I owe it..
yeh, 'she' will do nicely.

Also to the person who put 'ext' it's 'etc', from the latin, et cetera (and the rest). :P

BuFFo
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I always refer to my army as "my army." Neutral sex I guess.

I never thought of assigning a gender to it.

OK, you coaxed it out of me. My Black Templars? They are "The Masters of Funk!"

Can you guess how I'm painting these "Battle Bruthas?" They're not called Black Templars for nothing.

Even bought a whole mess of these for conversion:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HCPanLbUnrc/TKOrCjuaROI/AAAAAAAADBs/cCKTPYco3_M/s1600/Dragon+Forge+African+American+Heads.jpg

'Course they need some serious 'fro action going, so some resculpting is in order.

But I have to agree. When I'm not referring to them as "My army," I either refer to them as "The Grand Army of the Blah-ditty-blah," or I just call them "it."

HAHHAHAHA

Those have to be the best black sculpts I have ever seen. They are magnificent!!!

I will be suggesting that website for my friends.

gwensdad
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM

Not really.

How is it you don't have worshipers?

Necron2.0
03-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Those have to be the best black sculpts I have ever seen. They are magnificent!!!

I agree, and they should be - they were sculpted by a legend in the business. I've not been playing 40K long, but I've collected miniatures for decades. These were sculpted by Tom Meier. If that name doesn't ring a bell, he was the original sculptor for Ral Partha back in the 70's and 80's. He put that company on the map.

eldargal
03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
I do, to be honest, its embarassing.

How is it you don't have worshipers?

Chuck777
03-02-2011, 01:55 AM
I often refer to my Carnifexes and Tervigons as female but the army as a whole is neuter, which in English usually defaults to male when terms like "it" sound weird.