PDA

View Full Version : Primer Alternatives

cwsanger
02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
O, so I was wondering if anyone has tried using something other then GW's black primer? I am looking for something where it doesn't cost me $15 (GW price) per can.

Thanks.

flimmyyip
02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
There are alot of other options besides GW.

the most interesting is a products called gesso, its used to cover canvases. Other posters ive seen say they use this by covering the model with a thick layer of it, then leaving it over night. The gesso is designed to 'shrink' as it dries. If you go this path, then ive seen it in hobby store (michaels/dick blicks).

The other, seemingly obviously, is get a cheaper spray paint! There are many different brands. For my personal painting i use a 99c can from walmart (called color place), lots of other painters use krylon (anywhere from 3-7$) these both cover well, but only in mild temperatures. It doesnnt work in 15degree weather here:/

im sure there are other options such as airbrush priming, but these are a couple cheaper options
-flimmyyip

MasterSlowPoke
02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
Any spray primer can be used, really. People have their preferences - mine is Duplicolor Sandable Auto Primer, but any brand or type of primer can be used, even the $1 Krylon stuff.

Just make sure it is primer and not just paint and you're good. There is a chemical agent in primer that causes it to stick (and the paint stuck to it) better that just paint.

Mike X
02-28-2011, 02:05 AM
O, so I was wondering if anyone has tried using something other then GW's black primer? I am looking for something where it doesn't cost me $15 (GW price) per can.

Thanks.

I use this stuff called Krylon: Fusion. It's a little less than $5 at Walmart. For years I used GW's, until I experimented with this stuff. It's the exact same stuff for so much cheaper. And to be honest, I like its spray nozzle better. Plus it comes in way more colors.

wittdooley
02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Krylon also makes an Ultra Flat Camo primer in black, tan, green, etc. The best primer I've ever used.

ddsa86
02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
After some major problems with the GW Matt Spray and not wanting to spend over $14 for their overly expensive primer, I have searched for alternatives over the past few years. I too have used the $1 Walmart spray but mostly for bulk troops and I have never had a problem with it. Goes on evenly, dries quickly and is easy to work with when painting. I have only used the black spray and have not used other colors as primers (white and gray). I have recently been trying different primers for my special characters, metal models, and vehicles and started using the P3 primers (Privateer Press) and really liked the results. I get it from thewarstore.com for $7.99 and I have used both black and white sprays with great success. I have tried every other primer (e.g., Army Painter, Krylon, Armory, and various auto sprays) but like how the P3 works. For example, I recently did a chaos fantasy army and tried to shortcut it by using the Army Painter Plate Maill primer and absolutely hated the results. I found that the paints did not adhere to the surface as stated on their website and articles that I have read and when you "dip" the models, the Quickshade would fall off too much when you shook the excess off. I actually found that shading these models with the GW washes actually worked better. I also tried their red primer and found that if you are not careful and do short bursts it will go on to heavy and the painting has similar effects. Maybe it was the the cans that I had but I have made sure that I followed all the suggestions and directions in terms of environment, washing your models, distance, and temperature and have had similar results in subsequent tries. Unfortunately, I have had similar results using Krylon sprays. I think it comes down to preference, price and performance and if you are like I am I spend a lot of time preping my models so I really want a consistent spray and that is what I have found with the Walmart and P3 sprays.

MasterSlowPoke
03-01-2011, 01:33 AM
I don't really like the way Krylon Fusion dries on models. The finishseemed a little too thick and glossy. I'm also not sure if it acts like a primer - I know it bonds with plastic and doesn't need a primer underneath, but I don't know if it gives "tooth" to paint layers on top of it.

Again, primer preference is almost all opinion.

FastEd
03-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Like ddsa86, I fell in love with the P3 primers from Privateer Press. They go on so smooth, even if you tend to lay it on too thick. They are $8 for a can the same size as the GW stuff (which, oddly enough, is the original price for GW primer back in the day if I remember correctly. A lot of people have success with Krylon and a few automotive primers as has been mentioned, however I've noticed those tend to be a bit more temperamental when dealing with heat and humidity, as well as being really easy to accidentally get a very thick coat as they are designed to lay on a lot thicker then necessary since models don't have to stand up to the abuse car paint has to...unless your magnetizing your models and slapping them down on your roof on your way to the store, I guess.