PDA

View Full Version : How do the plastic dreadnoughts measure up?

miwashi
02-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Compared with the old metal ones, how are the new plastic ones in terms of molding quality, etc? I guess they won't have the heft of the metal ones, but are they better in any way?

Morgan Darkstar
02-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Compared with the old metal ones, how are the new plastic ones in terms of molding quality, etc? I guess they won't have the heft of the metal ones, but are they better in any way?

I am not sure if you are joking here? you do realise that the plastic dreadnaught has been released at least since 2004?

Have you been living under a rock hiding in a cave somewhere? :p

the plastic dreadnaught kits are great far better than the metal, especially the iornclad & venerable

sangrail777
02-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Gotta agree with Morgan darkstar here.
But to answer you, I think the plastic dreads are great. Speaking as someone who owns 3 metal and one plastic so far. Had another plastic but converted it to Necrons. If that means anything to the versitility of the kit.
What I would like to know is does the plastic kits also fit with the Blood Angel Sarcophagus?

lobster-overlord
02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
As with any of the plastics for Armour, they are superior. The mold lines are cleaner than metals and the corners are sharper. Although I did not test fit the BA dread with other parts, they seem to look to be about teh same. However a Magna Grapple did not fit on top of an iron clad very well, so the tops are at least slightly different on those.

If you're looking for heft to sock-jack people, stick with Warmachine.

Connjurus
02-27-2011, 04:47 AM
As with any of the plastics for Armour, they are superior. The mold lines are cleaner than metals and the corners are sharper. Although I did not test fit the BA dread with other parts, they seem to look to be about teh same. However a Magna Grapple did not fit on top of an iron clad very well, so the tops are at least slightly different on those.

If you're looking for heft to sock-jack people, stick with Warmachine.

Or use Warjacks as Preheresy-era Dreadnoughts...they do look REMARKABLY similar...

SotonShades
02-27-2011, 05:27 AM
ditto to what the others have said so far, and I'd like to add that they are (unsurprisingly) much easier to convert than the old metal ones.

Looks wise, from a distance most people won't notice too much difference, assuming they are armed the same. up close, the plastic dreads are cleaner and the kits come with much more decorations (pennants and the like) . In addition, unlike the old metal kit you get almost all the weapon options availible for the relevant dreadnought, all of which can be assembled and swapped out between games without resorting to magnetising the arms. They also don't topple over on the game table as often and come with a proper base, which is nice :) They don't seem to get damaged as often as the metal kits, partially I think because of the strength to wait ratio of the plastic and poly-cement bond and the metal and superglue bonds.

And yes your right, they don't have the same heft. Always surprises people when they pick up my metal dread thinking it is going to be as light as the plastic kits.

miwashi
03-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Thank you, so which dreadnoughts are available in plastic?

I know there's a blood angel death co dreadnought, a blood angel furioso one, and the AOBR one. The AOBR one seems to have fixed legs. Are the others more posable than this one?

SotonShades
03-04-2011, 04:46 AM
All the Space Marine Dreadnoughts (and Ork Dreds for that matter) are plastic kits now. Unfortunately, their legs are all fixed, however being plastic they are fairly easy to convert. My Venerable Dreadnought was really easy to convert so he's knealing on his left lag with the handlike DCCW pressed to the floor. I would show you a picture, but the only one I appear to have is scaled so you can see my dreadnoughts at the feet of my warlord... the scale really doesn't to the ven dred convertion justice :P I may be able to get a pic of it if you'd like.