PDA

View Full Version : Tau Kill Team Troops

Christian
02-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Hi there,
I have a non competitive Game Day on sunday and there will be kill team games. As I have not completed my painting my Blood Angels,I will have to go with Tau. But I didnt play them for a while.
Any tips on what troops/elites/fast I could use for a kill team. I thought of using Kroot, Crisis or Stealth teams. As for the fast attack I only have Drones and Pathfinders.

Thanks a lot
Christian

blackarmchair
02-25-2011, 01:25 AM
If memory serves in new kill team you get something like 250pts to work around with?

In that points value I'd rock stealth suits. Most likely 3-5 man teams with fusions.

Just jump-shoot-jump and try to abuse terrain.

Tau kind of seems like a bad book for Kill Team though...

Christian
02-26-2011, 06:08 AM
How about:

3 man Stealth Team, Team Leader, Fusion, 3 Targeting Arrays?
10 Kroot

Give the Stealths the Special Rules.

How does that sound?

Tynskel
02-26-2011, 07:46 AM
it is 200 points.

0-1 Elite
0-1 Fast attack
0-2 troop I believe

Stealth Suits already have a bunch of special rules- what are you thinking about giving them?

Christian
02-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I dont really know. I also dont know if we are going to play with extra special rules. I would give one "moveo through cover", the one with the fusion blaster maybe hit and run or eternal warrior, and maybe one of the other scout.

Maybe I can exchange the stealth team for a battlesuit shas'vre with Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, Iridium Armour and HW Multi tracker. And then give him Eternal Warrior. Thats a invun save (4), armour save (2) and no instant kill.

Tynskel
02-26-2011, 11:43 AM
you forgot the drone controller!

Christian
02-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Well yes. it will be a Hard Wired one. Normally I dont list them when I play, because they dont cost anything and if yu have drones, it should be clear that you have a drone controller

Christian
02-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I just had this Idea:

Battlesuit shas'vre with Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injector, Iridium Armour and HW Multi tracker.

And 3 Stealth Suits. Although this is 207 points.

Fishboy
02-26-2011, 09:26 PM
I've looked at this issue, but have never actually playtested a Tau kill team. If memory serves me, one of the better ways to get a win is to kill a certain percentage of the opposing models. I'd recommend trying that through fires. Here's what I'd suggest going with:

3x Stealth Suits, no additional mods, not even the 2 point fusion blaster
11x Fire Warriors

Try to castle up the fire warriors, and use the 30" range to light up opponent models at the limits of their range. If they start closing, have the nearest FW bound backwards while the ones still between 24" - 30" stay stationary and continue to fire.

The stealth suits are the key here, you need to use them to dance around and work their way towards your opponents' weakest models. The stealth fields can hopefully minimize fires against them, as each unit stands a chance of failing their roll to even spot the suits. The 3+ and use of cover will hopefully keep them alive as long as possible. The trick with them will be hitting from near the limits of their range, and then jumping back beyond 21", which will force him to move towards you if he wants a decent chance of being able to even see you to shoot.

This strategy banks on the strength 5 fires, which can hopefully deal with just about anything you'll face in a kill teams mission, and the long range of the Tau, which is the far shakier advantage. See if you can use the stealth suits to either herd or split your opponents' forces in a useful way.

The only other strategy I can envision is going kroot heavy. I'd almost recommend a 20 kroot, 10 kroot hound unit for all 200 points. Your biggest weakness there is losing due to model loss, since each one goes down easily, but for that, you have pretty solid cc capability with the hounds, and tremendous volume of fire at decent strength. If you can outmaneuver your opponent, you might just get it. It should be fun to play, either way.

Good luck!

Christian
02-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I used 3 Stealth Suits with 6 Gun Drones Today. It was the best kill team. One 2 out of my 3 kill team games.

The rest of the games were also fun. Nearly got the award for most epic troop/unit. My broadside Team Leader game into the battle in turn 3 and since then got shot at loats of times by Vanquischers, Leamon Russes and the Plasma Lemon Russ. Also he got shot at by grenade launchers and plasma guns. He survived all this and busted the Vanquischer, one leamon russ (on a glance) and a Vandetta. That was the best unit of today, I think. But he got beaten by Dante, who survived 3 rounds of IG Artillery and thereby killing 2 Squads of IG, 2 Sentinels and other stuff and getting a objective for his side.

The most unluckiest guy was an ally of mine. He deepstriked his Vanguard Vets with Combi Meltas. Those he shot at Terminators of the enemy. He missed all of them. Then the Termies shot back getting 7 Wounds. My Ally rolled 7 ones :S.

There were some other cool prizes in the end and I had a great day. Im not very good in writing Battlereports so I wont do it I think. I will have forgotten most of the things by tomorrow.