PDA

View Full Version : Necrons are on the way!

Maelstorm
02-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Headline on the Beasts of War

http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/necrons-julyaugust/

July / August expected launch means November / December with normal GW stumbles.

Deadlift
02-25-2011, 01:49 AM
keeping EVERYTHING crossed.

Necron_Lord
02-25-2011, 02:02 AM
November sounds about right. Skaven got updated Nov 2009, DE Nov 2010, so Nov 2011 sounds about right for my 'crons. Thankfully all I will need are the new units, so hopefully it won't be too much of a cash drain. It will be funny seeing the FotM players getting into undead robots!

BTW, Tomb Spyders got taken down from the website and were hard to get in early 2007, so the fact that some of the range has gone on hiatus doesn't mean that the reboot is on the way. Well, it is, but you know what I mean.

Gir
02-25-2011, 02:33 AM
July / August expected launch means November / December with normal GW stumbles.

I'm still trying to work out how they stumble on something with no release date.

Necron2.0
02-25-2011, 03:28 AM
It would be an epic fail if they reskin the Necrons. Them looking and feeling like terminators is precisely what makes them desirable/cool. What are they going to do? Go back to an Egyptian motif? LAME!

Still (and I don't mean any disrespect) the last predictions I heard from Beasts of War stated that Grey Knights would come before Dark Eldar, that they'd be coming prior to the end of last year, and that they'd be not just Grey Knights but a combined Inquisition codex, including Sisters of Battle. So I'm not going to freak out too much.

As for rumors, it's already been suggested that there will be plastic immortals, that Wraith rules will get reworked (possibly nerfed), that there will be a new Spyder model that makes it truly monsterous, that the Spyder may get a heavy weapon choice (other than the lame particle projector), that the C'tan are going away (only to be seen in Apocalypse), that the Lords will get "tech powers" that mimic psychic ability, and that there will be "named lords" ... maybe even a few that are slightly insane. These rumors have been making the rounds for awhile. Probably they are either mostly wrong or else entirely wrong.

isotope99
02-25-2011, 04:19 AM
I doubt that they'll scrub the C'Tan entirely. The models are too good. More likely they'll retcon the fluff so that they are just a fragment of their consciousness, avatar style, making them more practical to field without needing to cost 400 pts to get the stats they deserve.

Special character lords and squad members seem pretty likely following the pattern of previous codex releases. If the tyranids can have them, why not the necrons?

Models wise, the core plastics are OK, so the focus will likely be on replacing metal blisters. Immortals and flayed ones seem pretty likely, as does at least one new plastic monster kit, based on recent trends. Some metal characters and maybe a new C'Tan seem likely to feature too.

Sadly, pariahs, wraiths and a new destroyer box of more than one might get squeezed out of the available release space.

eldargal
02-25-2011, 04:47 AM
Nothing new there really, the rumours are the same old rumours/wishlisting we've seen for months and the speculated release dates were given by Harry late last year (along with TK, which were brought forward much to his surprise).

StraightSilver
02-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Well I must admit I may have start eating humble pie on this one...

Last year I was told in no uncertain terms that Necrons would not be released this year, but all rumours are pointing to it and to be honest I am now hearing July and August too.

It sort of makes sense that they would be released close to Tomb Kings, but that means this year's release schedule is insane!

I still keep hearing Tau at the end of the year too, which means Grey Knights, Necrons, Tau (but no Codex just models) and Dark Eldar all in the space of 12 months.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Daemonette666
02-25-2011, 07:05 AM
November sounds about right. Skaven got updated Nov 2009, DE Nov 2010, so Nov 2011 sounds about right for my 'crons. Thankfully all I will need are the new units, so hopefully it won't be too much of a cash drain. It will be funny seeing the FotM players getting into undead robots!

BTW, Tomb Spyders got taken down from the website and were hard to get in early 2007, so the fact that some of the range has gone on hiatus doesn't mean that the reboot is on the way. Well, it is, but you know what I mean.

Well with the rest of the codexes that need updating for 40K, namely Tau, Black Templars, Sisters of Battle, Dark Angels, Eldar and finally Chaos Marines, we should finally see both Eldar and Chaos Marines about Aug 2013 and Nov 2013 respectively.

Lemt
02-25-2011, 07:09 AM
I sure hope not. I have my 'crons shelved, and I'm planning on doing GKs. That would be too many armies all at once!
I guess I'll go alternating good and evil in my armies then (Tyranids are my current army).

Ghost of War
02-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Long time reader... 1st time poster....

I truly hope they dont reskin the warriors etc. I have been painting quite a few of them recently to prepare for the new dex one day.

Currently I have
30 warriors
20 scarab swarms
3 wraiths
1 lord
1 monolith

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26213&id=100001306126270&l=d311c3c246

DrLove42
02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Despite my current trend for saying stuff is false, then being proved wrong

I call nope on this one. There "evidence" is them no longer getting stock to smaller stores? Didn't that happen ages ago with SoB?

Don't get me wrong, i reckon we will see them this year. But this "ultimate evidence"....I call rubbish

April for GK. "Summer of Fliers" gets announced and released May-July. Next 40k codex is going to be August time, so "incoming!" article in June-July. Then sneak peak of next codex and models at UK gamesday end of september, followed by their release in December-January...

MaltonNecromancer
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
It would be an epic fail if they reskin the Necrons. Them looking and feeling like terminators is precisely what makes them desirable/cool. What are they going to do? Go back to an Egyptian motif? LAME!

Not sure I agree; the current Necron plastics are really unattractive; there's just no detail, and their goofy shoulder pads make me feel sad. Also, the Terminator thing is pretty cool, but I've always found it annoying that the one truly "robot" race has to conform to the typical fantasy template. Why would robots limit themselves to something as lame as "Tomb Kings IN SPACE!"

No, I would much rather see them go full-on Cthonic horror, and have them like the various horrible bots from The Matrix's other materials. Lots of tentacles and insectile arms, with no remotely human point of reference. They won't do that, because that would mean it wasn't Tomb Kings IN SPACE! but would be cool if they did.

It'd make more sense in the context of the C'tan basically being Elder Gods too.

I'd also like to see the basic Necron warrior being huge (old-school 1st editon Tyranid Warrior huge, only not spindly; tall, and all pistons and hate); seriously, why wouldn't you build giant robots and mechs if you were given the choice?

SonicPara
02-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I still keep hearing Tau at the end of the year too, which means Grey Knights, Necrons, Tau (but no Codex just models) and Dark Eldar all in the space of 12 months.

This is stupid, any Tau release will not be models as the entire codex is represented and nearly all in plastic. A Tau release would be a Codex with new models to compliment it. Things like the XV8 and Hammerhead are still the same from 3rd Edition and they are still well-designed plastic kits that look great and provide all of the options; there is literally zero reason to update the model line without a codex update.

Maelstorm
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
9 years is a long time to wait for GW to get their "stuff" together...

If they finally get new models I'll need a bigger table...

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/20101205_0051.jpg

Demonus
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
man with all that scenery, where you gonna deep strike some trees and ruined buildings??

Morgan Darkstar
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
The trees scattered onto a monolith causing a mishap, and were swallowed by the warp :)

JxKxR
02-25-2011, 01:29 PM
"Word is reaching us that the Necron range (or at least parts of) is being run down now (i.e. not available to the independant stockists) which can mean only one thing… expect Necrons in about 6 months!!"

Looks like they pulled out the old jump to conclusion mat. I'm with DrLove on this one.

And MaltonNecromancer if you were in charge of making the next Necron codex I would be soooooo happy. You just described the best way to do them to get me into them. I just wish Tau and Necrons were not rumored to be coming out this near to each other, because I started with Tau and they would get my love.

Ghost of War
02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Maelstrom - No tomb stalkers?

I seriously doubt they will redo the warriors... or really anything in plastics with the exception of a possible destroyer update to make the box either become a heavy or a regular destroyer.

All signs point to a sweet tomb spyder, but I just hope they actually capture the "helps repair" your army aspect a bit better. They are literally supposed to be the guys who build the warriors etc. Maybe give +1 to the FnP role, coupled with the ress orb which always would grant FnP...

I could see that being cool. And they would crap scarab swarms like a Tervegon... but they would attach to the spyder and like shield drones mimic the toughness of the controlling critter. Which would make for a heck of a tarpit.

Maelstorm
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Maelstrom - No tomb stalkers?

There are 3 Forgeworld Tomb <EDIT> Stalkers (100 parts each!) in plastic bags on the "to be built" shelf. I've heard nothing except pain in the arse things about their construction. 2 more Monoliths and 2 more Forgeworld Gauss Pylons are on the shelf as well.

I'm currently trudging through a Forgeworld Thunderhawk for a buddy. The molds should have been scrapped about a 1,000 cycles ago. Honestly, for $650 US I would have shipped it back...

Deadlift
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
There are 3 Forgeworld Tomb Spyders (100 parts each!) in plastic bags on the "to be built" shelf. I've heard nothing except pain in the arse things about their construction. 2 more Monoliths and 2 more Forgeworld Gauss Pylons are on the shelf as well.

I'm currently trudging through a Forgeworld Thunderhawk for a buddy. The molds should have been scrapped about a 1,000 cycles ago. Honestly, for $650 US I would have shipped it back...

If you mean Forgeworld tomb stalkers then to be honest mate their not too bad to put together, I used Expo glue instead of GW and it took me a couple of hours tops all whilst keeping an eye on my rugrats. My Pylon was harder to put together.

Maelstorm
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Excelent news indeed! I thought the Gauss pylon was easy to put together - however trimming the excess sprue material was a pain!

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/DSC01800.jpg

Necron2.0
02-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I'd also like to see the basic Necron warrior being huge (old-school 1st editon Tyranid Warrior huge, only not spindly; tall, and all pistons and hate); seriously, why wouldn't you build giant robots and mechs if you were given the choice?

Three words: "Line of sight." ;)

And I personally hate anime. That's why I won't touch Tau. Matrix style? Yeah, that could be cool, but I don't see it matching the fluff. The Necrons were designed by living beings as replacements for their own bodies. I'm not certain I'd believe they'd go off the C'thulhu-esque deep end, like the Mechanicus (which I don't buy either).

No, for me, I prefer my Necrons exactly as they are (even if I do say so myself).

Maelstorm
02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Love the artwork on the Destroyer platform!

I expect the Immortals to bulk-up closer to Terminator size. I've already painted-up 30 Flayed Ones, so I'm not crazy about the idea of buying & painting them all over again. I'm sure I can use them as-is, but I like to keep current!

Necron2.0
02-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I expect the Immortals to bulk-up closer to Terminator size. I've already painted-up 30 Flayed Ones, so I'm not crazy about the idea of buying & painting them all over again. I'm sure I can use them as-is, but I like to keep current!

Yeah, heard that rumor too - Immortals becoming equivalent to SM Terminators, including the size of their base. If I didn't already have all my Immortals built, painted and custom based, I would be thinking it's awesome. Instead, it's giving me a case of verbal Tourette's.

Personally, what I'd like to see is them put Flayed One's where they belong - as a troop choice. Fundamentally that's what they are. There is nothing about them that makes them Elite, except for maybe Deep Strike.

Lenzabi
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
My first post here, but I have looked in every now and then. I have read enough fluff to indicate that Lords do have memories, and can recall their names. That is why I converted some Cryx models to play lords of the army I am slowly building.

As for the rumors, I am mostly happy if they are actually re-doing the codex and line for 5th ed up-dates. It is one of the oldest books now.

Not sure a S6 power weapon Wraith is a good idea, make them reasonable S maybe powered weapon or they may have their save altered by GW to a normal one instead of inv, as they are hard to get rid of.

It makes sense that FNP is taking over the basic WBB. Gauss as rending also makes sense, but will no longer harm AV14 if that is the case. At least the basic G-flayer won't.

New units and optiomns will likely appear, just not sure about what they at GW will do overall.

Cyberscape7
02-26-2011, 07:36 AM
The immortals and necron lord should really be termie sized and be a bit bulkier than the average warrior. However when the new dex comes out immortals and pariahs should really get plastic box sets. £70 is TOO MUCH for a squad of 10 necrons!!!

Lemt
02-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Rending in Gauss makes Warriors SO much better against MEQ, and also against armor 11 targets. Hell, I'm pretty sure S4 rending is better against armor 12 targets than the old gauss rule too.

The immortals and necron lord should really be termie sized and be a bit bulkier than the average warrior. However when the new dex comes out immortals and pariahs should really get plastic box sets. £70 is TOO MUCH for a squad of 10 necrons!!!

Well, you can make Flayed Ones and Immortals easily with Warriors. 2 Warriors result in 1 Immortal and 1 Flayed. You can also make Pariahs, but those take more work. Just cut the guns, stick them one on top of the other (the top one being upside-down), place the little axe-thingies on the end pointing outwards, give it to the one that will be an Immortal. Cut some claws (aka triangles if you want it easy) from plasticard for the Flayed One, and add some goops of greenstuff so it looks like drooping flesh. Then add some basic armor to the Immortal.

Cyberscape7
02-26-2011, 09:50 AM
You are right Lemt, it is fairly simple to convert these models but it would still be nice to have a plastic box set of immortals that was say,5 for £18-£25?

Lemt
02-26-2011, 10:06 AM
You are right Lemt, it is fairly simple to convert these models but it would still be nice to have a plastic box set of immortals that was say,5 for £18-£25?

Stop making me drool goddamit. I have GKs to be excited about, it's not yet time to think about Necrons!

Hmmm, plastic Immortals...

Necron2.0
02-26-2011, 12:07 PM
This posted today by BigRed:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/02/40k-rumors-necrons-are-in-oven.html

Nothing we didn't already know, but it's more fuel for the fire.

sangrail777
02-27-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm just not sure how FNP is gonna help more then WBB.
I'm a Blood Angel player and My wife is a Necron player. With WBB and a Res orb she can still get up against PF, PW, Str D, Str 10, and AP1's. with FNP she won't be able to.
My Blood Angels get cut down by those all the time, all it means is so will Necron players.
Well as long as Phase out is gone I guess it will be ok.

Lemt
02-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm just not sure how FNP is gonna help more then WBB.
I'm a Blood Angel player and My wife is a Necron player. With WBB and a Res orb she can still get up against PF, PW, Str D, Str 10, and AP1's. with FNP she won't be able to.
My Blood Angels get cut down by those all the time, all it means is so will Necron players.
Well as long as Phase out is gone I guess it will be ok.

Unless they keep rez orbs, and say that you always get FNP if one is around.

DarkLink
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
FNP itself won't help anything. WBB is a more powerful rule in almost every case.

The fact that every unit in the army will (hopefully) be significantly better than they are now, and that phase out will (hopefully) be gone will be what makes a new necron codex competitive, not replacing WBB with FNP. That's just a bit of streamlining.

Chuck777
02-27-2011, 07:14 PM
How many other people think the Monolith is going to see a huge nerf? :(

Necron2.0
02-27-2011, 09:14 PM
How many other people think the Monolith is going to see a huge nerf? :(

I've not heard anything anywhere that would suggest that. Of course, everything I have heard ends up being a repeat of something coming out of Warseer :rolleyes:.

Here's what they have to say about it (take it for what it's worth):

*there will be a new vehicle and a MC sized creature
*there will be immortals and flayed ones in plastic
*we'll be back will remain but it will have changes
*warriors will return being one of the best, maybe the best, troop in 40k, although their points will be increased.
*we will be able to see some type of special lords or characters
*there will be some type of psychic upgrades to a few units (lords in particular)
*we will very probably be able to see different tiered lords
*wraiths will be changed enormously
Quote Will have army-wide upgrades equippable on the lord
The "psychic powers" are actually "tech upgrades" with the same rules as psychic powers.
There will be some form of Necron C'tan Rebels
Quote 3 multi-part plastic kits have been finalised as:

- Immortals
- Spyders
- The Necromancer

Immortals are on a large (35mm) base; they are redesigned as larger, bulkier and more dynamic.

Spyders have 3 different builds

The Necromancer is the central sell of the line expansion and has been the focus of much of the early design process. It has been through several incarnations (and names), but is essentially of the same principle as the Bone Giant for the Warhammer Fantasy range. It has a mechanised skeletal torso housing a suspended crystal, and will likely have a choice between two horrific weapons.

Farseer Uthiliesh
02-28-2011, 04:55 AM
Three words: "Line of sight." ;)

And I personally hate anime. That's why I won't touch Tau. Matrix style? Yeah, that could be cool, but I don't see it matching the fluff. The Necrons were designed by living beings as replacements for their own bodies. I'm not certain I'd believe they'd go off the C'thulhu-esque deep end, like the Mechanicus (which I don't buy either).

No, for me, I prefer my Necrons exactly as they are (even if I do say so myself).

I LOVE your paint, Necron 2.0!

Lerra
02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
I'm just hoping the Tomb Stalker makes it into the codex. It's a great looking model, and it adds a lot to a 'Cron army.

Maelstorm
02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm just hoping the Tomb Stalker makes it into the codex. It's a great looking model, and it adds a lot to a 'Cron army.

If they don't put the Tomb Stalker into the Codex it will take them 10 years to pay for the mold.

If they put it into the new Codex the molds will be paid off in 6 months - they won't be able to make them fast enough.

We'll soon see if they have any clue about ROI (Return on Investement) for Forgeworld molds....

Cyberscape7
02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I reckon the monolith is going to be dumbed down slightly but made a bit cheaper so I dont think its going to be nerfed too badly.
As for phase out, there have been some speculations that instead of sweeping advances, necron units will phase out if they fail morale checks in combat. This would still keep to the necron fluff but would help games to be much closer.
These ideas really have no foundation- just what I think.

Kawauso
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
I reckon the monolith is going to be dumbed down slightly but made a bit cheaper so I dont think its going to be nerfed too badly.
As for phase out, there have been some speculations that instead of sweeping advances, necron units will phase out if they fail morale checks in combat. This would still keep to the necron fluff but would help games to be much closer.
These ideas really have no foundation- just what I think.

Really I think the Monolith is one of the few things in the current codex that requires the least change. I don't think it's going to be changed much.
Why would it be dumbed down, and what exactly is that supposed to mean, anyhow? :P

As for Phase Out in combat...no.
That would make Necrons -worse- in combat than they are now. At least now there is the slightest chance they can avoid sweeping advance if your opponent whiffs the initiative roll-off. If they straight-up Phase Out after failing morale in combat...
Yeah, no thanks.

It would make much more sense for them to be Fearless or Stubborn - which are both things that we've heard in rumours and things that would actually make Necrons much better in combat (personally, of the two I'd hope for Stubborn but I think Fearless might be what GW would go for...at least if WBB is replaced with FNP they have a very good chance of taking those extra wounds like champs).

Divergent Reality
02-28-2011, 11:59 AM
As a Necron player these changes interest me.

Some new items and as Lerra suggested, placing the Tomb Stalker in the codex would be a neat addition.

A bit more patience and the collective wallets of Necron players will be emptied.

Lerra
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I could see Phase Out happening in combat if there was an upside - like the unit gets placed in reserve and can re-enter play through a Monolith portal. Or Deep Strike.

Maelstorm
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm hoping for 20 pages detailing new units and 5 pages dedicated to new fluff - - not the other way around.

I sat down with my scanner to *.pdf my old Necron Codex for my phone - there are only 14 pages of usable material! The rest of the book is wasted in fluff, photos and scibbled napkin sketches. Scan the last 15 pages of any codex into a *.pdf file and you have 90% of the usable material!

Sigh.... GW - - 9 years to update 14 pages??

Malachi
02-28-2011, 03:50 PM
It's really unfair to look purely at the length, or number of words, as the only measure and say, "Why does it take so long?" Especially when you're writing for a game, and that section is game stats. I write for an RPG company, and writing the stats section always takes way longer (as in 10x or more) to write than the equivalent length in words or pages of simple "fluff." Those game stats are also the parts that need to be play tested, edited, and proofed the most rigorously.

Kawauso
02-28-2011, 05:05 PM
It's really unfair to look purely at the length, or number of words, as the only measure and say, "Why does it take so long?" Especially when you're writing for a game, and that section is game stats. I write for an RPG company, and writing the stats section always takes way longer (as in 10x or more) to write than the equivalent length in words or pages of simple "fluff." Those game stats are also the parts that need to be play tested, edited, and proofed the most rigorously.

This.

Having a background in games, it's really tiresome hearing people complain about how lazy GW (or any other games maker, for that matter), is when it's "so easy" to do game design.

I'm not saying GW are the best game designers out there - they're not - but people need to stop saying (or implying) they could do better. They couldn't. :P

Connjurus
02-28-2011, 05:12 PM
If Leman Russes can move 6" and shoot all their weapons, PLEASE LET MONOLITHS DO THIS AS WELL. 6" movement and Particle Whip+Gaur Flux Arc, PLEASE.

Kawauso
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
If Leman Russes can move 6" and shoot all their weapons, PLEASE LET MONOLITHS DO THIS AS WELL. 6" movement and Particle Whip+Gaur Flux Arc, PLEASE.

They can't, though.
A Leman Russ can only fire it's turret weapon "in addition to any other weapon it is allowed to fire" when it moves at combat speed.

It's similar to Power of the Machine Spirit except it applies to a specific weapon and doesn't permit firing on multiple targets.

GrenAcid
02-28-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm hoping for 20 pages detailing new units and 5 pages dedicated to new fluff - - not the other way around.

I sat down with my scanner to *.pdf my old Necron Codex for my phone - there are only 14 pages of usable material! The rest of the book is wasted in fluff, photos and scibbled napkin sketches. Scan the last 15 pages of any codex into a *.pdf file and you have 90% of the usable material!

OMFG if you think fluf is a waste of pages in a dex, Ive got solution for you, how about playing chess with your warriors as pawns ect?? This should do the trick;)

Lenzabi
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Plastic immortals, maybe with some new options per the codex revision? More plastics, and maybe a codex Tomb stalker that is following the codex trend of T6, maybe make it 6W like Tyranid MC's? Maybe a fast small squad skiff like vehicle for rapid deployment? I can think of all kinds of possibilities like a mechanical version of the Bone giant, or potential re-shifting of troops types.

Maelstorm
02-28-2011, 10:24 PM
OMFG if you think fluf is a waste of pages in a dex, Ive got solution for you, how about playing chess with your warriors as pawns ect?? This should do the trick;)

I'm not in high-school any more so no, I'm not drooling over the "fluff". You'll read through the fluff once or twice, that's it. I'm sure the writers will click their heels three times and wish that you read the fluff every time you pick up a codex. You'll use that last 14 pages for 9 years until they get around to dribbling out a new codex.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/40k5thEditionGaussWeapons.jpg

My chess set:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/20101205_0051.jpg

GrenAcid
03-01-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm not in high-school any more so no, I'm not drooling over the "fluff". You'll read through the fluff once or twice, that's it. I'm sure the writers will click their heels three times and wish that you read the fluff every time you pick up a codex. You'll use that last 14 pages for 9 years until they get around to dribbling out a new codex.

I saw your chess set, its great thing:)
I always thought thet high-schoolers are all about rules and stuff and older players about fluff, but heh maybe Im the wierd one here. In my wolrld with unicorns, and fluff bears around rules and how good/many they are isnt so important. I just think we play army cuz of it story not stat line.

Morgan Darkstar
03-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I saw your chess set, its great thing:)
I always thought thet high-schoolers are all about rules and stuff and older players about fluff, but heh maybe Im the wierd one here. In my wolrld with unicorns, and fluff bears around rules and how good/many they are isnt so important. I just think we play army cuz of it story not stat line.

I agree i would much rather see more fluff. the nature of rules is such that fluff to rules there will always be more fluff unless you want a codex that is 12 pages long.

The fluff is the soul of the game if it wasn't there i wouldn't play..

ps

"I Read through some of the fluff every time i look at the codex. unless i am in a game and looking for a rule".

Maelstorm
03-01-2011, 08:15 AM
ps

"I Read through some of the fluff every time i look at the codex. unless i am in a game and looking for a rule".

I haven't read any of the Necron fluff in 7+ years.

As a Statistical Engineer - ranks of soulless robots "work" for me - every day...

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/DSC01812.jpg

Demonus
03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
I could see Phase Out happening in combat if there was an upside - like the unit gets placed in reserve and can re-enter play through a Monolith portal. Or Deep Strike.

I was thinking the same thing!

Cyberscape7
03-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Really I think the Monolith is one of the few things in the current codex that requires the least change. I don't think it's going to be changed much.
Why would it be dumbed down, and what exactly is that supposed to mean, anyhow? :P

It would make much more sense for them to be Fearless or Stubborn - which are both things that we've heard in rumours and things that would actually make Necrons much better in combat (personally, of the two I'd hope for Stubborn but I think Fearless might be what GW would go for...at least if WBB is replaced with FNP they have a very good chance of taking those extra wounds like champs).

When I said the monolith would be dumbed down I meant that it would be made more humble. Like living metal- instead of being immune to lance weps and stuff it could cause a -1 modifier on the damage table or something similair and maybe become slightly more economical to take.
As for the stubborn rule, I agree. It would make more sense to make necrons stubborn than fearless, cuz lets face it they're creatures of logic. Their not gonna run away from a guardsman with a stick but they'll have the common sense to move out of the way of a carnifex. Lets just hope Mat thinks the same way...

Lenzabi
03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Well, as I have watched the writing of each new codex, they will give more fluff anyway as the designers also see that as the reason many players pick an army. So expect more story line, especially descriptors for the units, and also, some chilling tales of bad things the Necrons have done.

C'Tan rebels huh? As they shifted the Tau to a somewhat darker possibility with "mind control helms" and forced sterilization (Dawn of War stuff) Now we get a lightening of the Necrons? odd that I find a parallel from SG-1 happening with that bit. Like the Go' uld vs the T' okra?

If the T-stalker is included, they may make it S6/T6/W6 like the other MC's? a Bone giant like model fits as well, I agree.

More like the Monolith may get a price increase as it does so much. Wouldn't surprise me to see it cost the same as a Landraider.

Necron2.0
03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
C'Tan rebels huh? As they shifted the Tau to a somewhat darker possibility with "mind control helms" and forced sterilization (Dawn of War stuff) Now we get a lightening of the Necrons? odd that I find a parallel from SG-1 happening with that bit. Like the Go' uld vs the T' okra?

I wouldn't got quite that far with the analogy. When initially describing 40K to me, a friend of mine said it was a game of the bad guys versus the evil guys, and after playing for awhile, I have to agree with him. There are no real good guys in this game. So comparing differences between the loyalists versus the rebels may be akin to differentiating Borg from body snatchers. Either way, you're still just meat for them.

Lemt
03-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't got quite that far with the analogy. When initially describing 40K to me, a friend of mine said it was a game of the bad guys versus the evil guys, and after playing for awhile, I have to agree with him. There are no real good guys in this game. So comparing differences between the loyalists versus the rebels may be akin to differentiating Borg from body snatchers. Either way, you're still just meat for them.

HERESY!

Tyranids are the good guys.

Maelstorm
03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
The Necrons were here first - you're all Xenos!

Lenzabi
03-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah, they want there to be just black and shades of gray in their universe.

Ghost of War
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Here is to hoping they make Pariahs plastic and worth taking. I would love to take a 10 pack of them with a lord as my deathstar walking out of a deepstriking monolith.

Things the cron army can not do today unfortunately.

I am still wondering what they will do with Tomb Spyders... +1 to FnP rolls? a reroll? What if multiple spyders are near...

I hope they dont redo the wraith models - they are sweet, maybe they need another pose but other than that they are pretty sweet.

Flayed, Immortals, and Pariahs need work.

Would be nice if they put something like an Obalisk that deepstrikes and moves around 6 inches a turn with gauss flux that functions like a teleport homer for a squad to re-deploy to as their move action.

Maelstorm
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
++ "WE ARE THE NECRONTYR. WE ARE LEGION. WE CLAIM DOMINION OF THIS WORLD... SURRENDER AND DIE." ++

The new Fall of Damnos book ROCKS! The new Necron Apocalypse weapon... :eek:

Brass Scorpion
03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a pile of Necron plastics stashed away waiting for a new Codex and more new plastic kits.

This episode of the original Dr. Who probably had a huge influence on GW designers when first creating Necrons years ago. If you don't own it on DVD I highly recommend it, it's a fun one. The Doctor and archaeologists visit a Cybermen tomb world and the menace is awakened. Sound familiar? Every GW designer probably grew up watching the series in its original 26 year run in the UK. Here's a clip.

Tomb Of The Cybermen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323uSPPJ0MI

Farseer Uthiliesh
03-25-2011, 02:43 AM
I have a pile of Necron plastics stashed away waiting for a new Codex and more new plastic kits.

This episode of the original Dr. Who probably had a huge influence on GW designers when first creating Necrons years ago. If you don't own it on DVD I highly recommend it, it's a fun one. The Doctor and archaeologists visit a Cybermen tomb world and the menace is awakened. Sound familiar? Every GW designer probably grew up watching the series in its original 26 year run in the UK. Here's a clip.

Tomb Of The Cybermen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323uSPPJ0MI

You know, that's what I first thought when GW released the Necrons. Tomb is an astonishingly good DW story.

Deadlift
03-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Found this whilst trawling the www, no idea if this source is good or not but thought I would share :)

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/03/necron-rumors.html

Sorry I didn't just copy and paste the article but using a smart phone.

The bit about coloured bits is interesting but seems out of fluff .

Defenestratus
03-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Found this whilst trawling the www, no idea if this source is good or not but thought I would share :)

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2011/03/necron-rumors.html

Sorry I didn't just copy and paste the article but using a smart phone.

The bit about coloured bits is interesting but seems out of fluff .

If this is true, then WBB becoming FNP in all but name only is a welcome change.

Lerra
03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
There are 3 Forgeworld Tomb <EDIT> Stalkers (100 parts each!) in plastic bags on the "to be built" shelf. I've heard nothing except pain in the arse things about their construction. 2 more Monoliths and 2 more Forgeworld Gauss Pylons are on the shelf as well.

The Tomb Stalker is actually not bad, but if you try to assemble it like a normal model (ex: glue one piece at a time) it is a pain in the neck. Here's what I did that made it a pretty easy assembly: Drill through the inside of each carapace piece, and run a wire through them like a spine. Cut the wire about 20-30% longer than what you think you need (if you pose the model in a twisty position, you'll need a longer wire than if you choose a straighter position). It's much much easier to pose this way.

Kawauso
03-27-2011, 11:55 AM
If this is true, then WBB becoming FNP in all but name only is a welcome change.

I don't see the big deal one way or the other.
I was welcoming the idea of WBB becoming FNP completely and can't understand how people are upset that GW would try to make one of their 'Universal Special Rules' a bit more, you know, universal where its application makes sense. :P No one complains when sneaky units get 'Stealth' or 'Scouts'.

Regardless, these rumours are interesting, even if their authenticity can't be verified and the OP sounds really, really whiny about a lot of the changes. I look forward to Necrons getting some more crazy MCs and revamped destroyers with more options and bulked-up Immortals - and the multiple plastic rod colours really intrigues me, too. If it's true I may have to re-work my existing Necrons... I hope if it's true those rods will be available as bits on the GW website.

Also, I'm glad Necrons aren't getting 'rhinos' or anything like that. I never really expected them to get 'standard' transports for their army (like a vehicle that they actually just climb inside) and I'm not sure why the OP is in a huff that they aren't. Mind you he's one of those people who seems to think that BA/SW/GK are a whole lot stronger than the other 5th books so...whatever.

I'm just excited that my first army is finally (sometime soon) going to be brought up to date. :)

Lemt
03-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm also glad they won't get a normal transport. I like marching Necrons (or would, if they didn't suck).

Maelstorm
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
When they said "bring 6,000 points of Necrons for the Apoc game" I thought I'd surprise them...

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/102867259_photobucket_14935_.jpg

Necron Alpha-strike?

Skragger
03-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Still (and I don't mean any disrespect) the last predictions I heard from Beasts of War stated that Grey Knights would come before Dark Eldar, that they'd be coming prior to the end of last year, and that they'd be not just Grey Knights but a combined Inquisition codex, including Sisters of Battle. So I'm not going to freak out too much.

As for rumors, it's already been suggested that there will be plastic immortals, that Wraith rules will get reworked (possibly nerfed), that there will be a new Spyder model that makes it truly monsterous, that the Spyder may get a heavy weapon choice (other than the lame particle projector), that the C'tan are going away (only to be seen in Apocalypse), that the Lords will get "tech powers" that mimic psychic ability, and that there will be "named lords" ... maybe even a few that are slightly insane. These rumors have been making the rounds for awhile. Probably they are either mostly wrong or else entirely wrong.

They're probably safe rumours. Just looking at what GW has been doing with all the other re-do's they've been doing lately. Pewter -> Plastic, nerfing mega units, adding in named characters. I could say "this'll happen for the next ork codex" because thats the general trend these days.

We'll probably see more and more Psy stuff coming up too, to help give something like a 'Hood to the other armies, but that one's more of a guess.

I really want them to get a 6th ed codex. They got a 4th ed one right before the tick-over to 5th and got totally ruined because of it, I don't want to see them write a 5th ed codex for them, and then tick over to 6th right after...

Kawauso
03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
I really want them to get a 6th ed codex. They got a 4th ed one right before the tick-over to 5th and got totally ruined because of it, I don't want to see them write a 5th ed codex for them, and then tick over to 6th right after...

Necrons are 3rd Edition, not 4th. :P

Skragger
03-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Necrons are 3rd Edition, not 4th. :P

I stand corrected. I always get my editions mixed up. :(

Kawauso
03-28-2011, 03:50 PM
No worries. Just pointing out that there's more than one edition-jump that's working against the Necrons' favour.

Orks and Eldar came towards the end of 4th and both those books are pretty damn good for not being in the current edition.

eldargal
03-31-2011, 07:01 AM
A small bit of information of interest to you Necrontyr:

I'm posting this in news and rumors only as it's relevant to upcoming releases. I received word yesterday my "blackout" clause of my NDA for 3 upcoming codex armies would go in to effect April 1. (ha, that's what I thought too.)

Those three armies are Tau, Necron, and SoB.

Now the earliest they've ever enacted this on me before has been 6 months out. And the shortest duration has been 2 months out. I have no info telling me A. What order any of these codexes will be released. B. That they will be consistent with that duration. Just thought it may serve as additional evidence for what's on the horizon.

isotope99
03-31-2011, 07:19 AM
A small bit of information of interest to you Necrontyr:

Thanks for continuing to search out these bits of info for those of us too lazy to look around ourselves.

I can't decide if tomb kings in May makes necrons more or less likely as the next 40K army. :confused:

Demonus
03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
same models, they just painted them gunmetal grey instead of mummy wrap white =)

Deadlift
03-31-2011, 11:01 AM
I still think the necrons need a unit that's dressed in biker leathers and sunglasses that can walk amongst imperium army's freely and only be shot/assaulted at once it's made an aggressive move. F#ck it, give them harleys too and make them fast attack :)

TheCastigator
03-31-2011, 10:40 PM

WBB is far superior to FNP. The reason is the sequence in which it occurs. FNP happens immediately upon being wounded, meaning that torrent fire/assault will eventually wear down the unit. WBB on the other hand occurs at the beginning of your next turn. If you go down in the shooting phase you are effectively immune to assault. Add in the bonus from a Tomb Spider or Resurrection Orb, you'll pretty much have the chance to get up from anything. It's the fact that WBB takes place after shooting AND assualts are complete, that makes it much more effective. It is also one of the only advantages that the current codex affords the army. Not to mention the flavor that it can add to a game after you shoot down an entire squad only to see it get back up. FNP can't provide that.

At least as written now, WBB is better than FNP. If only the rest of the book wasn't so woefully out of date. Necrons were pretty awesome in 3rd. I for one hope that they decide to keep WBB mostly as is.

Defenestratus
04-01-2011, 07:52 AM
WBB is far superior to FNP. The reason is the sequence in which it occurs. FNP happens immediately upon being wounded, meaning that torrent fire/assault will eventually wear down the unit. WBB on the other hand occurs at the beginning of your next turn. If you go down in the shooting phase you are effectively immune to assault. Add in the bonus from a Tomb Spider or Resurrection Orb, you'll pretty much have the chance to get up from anything. It's the fact that WBB takes place after shooting AND assualts are complete, that makes it much more effective. It is also one of the only advantages that the current codex affords the army. Not to mention the flavor that it can add to a game after you shoot down an entire squad only to see it get back up. FNP can't provide that.

At least as written now, WBB is better than FNP. If only the rest of the book wasn't so woefully out of date. Necrons were pretty awesome in 3rd. I for one hope that they decide to keep WBB mostly as is.

Two words.... sweeping advance.

WBB offers nothing in regards to close combat survivability which - in today's assault-oriented metagame, makes WBB horrible. At least with FNP, Necrons could SURVIVE close combat long enough to bring in help.

Sure you'll lose your WBB save from plasma guns, but the change that you'll be picking up 10+ warriors in a round of combat is drastically lowered.

Demonus
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
one word:

stubborn

necrons should be stubborn, eliminating most sweeping advances from happening in the first place.

Lemt
04-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Orbs could allow for FNP even in cases where it would be denied, similar to how it works now.

Demonus
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
yep i hope if WBB is changed, orbs will still be worthwhile, either allowing a FnP even when typically denied, or giving a 4++ or 5++ save to units within 6 inches.

Kawauso
04-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Orbs could allow for FNP even in cases where it would be denied, similar to how it works now.

This. This sooo hard.

Getting an FNP roll on plasma/melta/power weapon wounds would be glorious.

I would also be happy with Necrons being Stubborn. :)

We'll see, though. Really hope these guys get their book soon...

Maelstorm
04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I really have no use for FNP. Just reword WBB to bring it into line with 5th soon to be 6th edition rules.

With FNP instead of WBB: 3x as many weapons insta-kill Necron Lords, Immortals, Destroyers, Heavy Destroyers at long range!

Please - No USR "FNP". It is handed out like candy to EVERY single codex! It would be eaiser to name the codexes that don't have FNP somewhere in the list.

A 6" "bubble" to negate the failings of FNP vs. WBB against ranged weapons? No thank you! I'd need an HQ with an Orb attached to every unit of Destroyers, Immortals and Heavy Destroyers on the board just to make FNP back into WBB.

For Destroyers you'd have to attach a Destroyer Lord HQ with an Orb to make it equivelent

For Heavy Destroyers you'd have to attach a Destroyer Lord HQ with an Orb to make it equivelent

For Immortals you'd have to attach a Necron Lord HQ with an Orb to make it Equivelent.

Just for those 3 units you'd need 480 points of HQ's with Resurrection Orbs to bring it in line with WBB.

Set down the crack pipe, step away from the codex...

Malachi
04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
... and what if you got the Necron Megalith (http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/necron-megalith-revealed/)? Would you be happy with FNP then? :)

(Best line in that video: "You have to be tactically sound with 7 Monoliths on the table...")

Maelstorm
04-02-2011, 05:42 PM
7 Monoliths with the Doomsday Phalanx is fun - 3 Gauss Pylons lined-up on the back row is even more fun...

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/102867259_photobucket_14935_.jpg

Makes short work of Thunderhawks and Titans...

Deadlift
04-03-2011, 12:23 AM
... and what if you got the Necron Megalith (http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-40k/necron-megalith-revealed/)? Would you be happy with FNP then? :)

(Best line in that video: "You have to be tactically sound with 7 Monoliths on the table...")

I want one of these ;)