PDA

View Full Version : Termagaunts or Hormagaunts

ninjacatz
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
So, I am going to be placing a new order from GW soon. With it i will be buying a single box of either hormogaunts or temagaunts. Now first off I will not be using a tervigon. Also as of right now I have 14 termagaunts, 14 hormogaunts, 8 genestealers w/ 1 broodlord, 3 warriors, 1 hive tyrant, a venomthrope, and a hive guard. All help would be appreciated!

Morgan Darkstar
02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Personaly i would go for Hormigants but i would get the battleforce as its better value for money and has both plus genestealers and warriors if thats an option.

Fishboy
02-26-2011, 10:23 PM
From the sounds of it, your synapse consists of your Hive Tyrant and Warriors right now. Based on that, I'd consider going Termagants. Reason being, Hormagants will be best if you can get them into close combat as fast as possible, which means they'll probably be outpacing your synapse control. That horde outside of synapse stands a decent chance of failing a Ld check and breaking. I know, there are plenty of ways to make this less important (like keeping that synapse control between them and your board edge, ensuring they'll regroup) but it will still cost you time.

If those are truly your preferences, I'd go Termagants. Keeping them in synapse range, you have a fearless troop choice, meaning that they won't break and run, and unless your opponent gets into close combat, it'll be hard to kill every last one of them. (And if they do get into cc, you can bring the Hive Tyrant in to deal with them.)

Can I recommend picking up a Zoanthrope or three? They are truly one of the bet nid units out there. A single one for 60 points can be a game changer (I just had one take down a Land Raider Crusader on its own), and it provides additional synapse control, which I can't overstate the importance of. Wrap one with 10 Termagants, you're looking at 110 points for two units, one of which can hold an objective, the other being one of the more lethal units the nids can field for the points cost.

Cyberscape7
02-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Okay now I love both of these critters but I have to give the edge to termagants. Firstly they are prob. the smarter of the 2(termagant- Hmmm im not in synapse, I better hide so I can get a cover save. hormagaunt-Hmmm im not in synapse, I better try and eat that land raider.) and is the more flexible with both assault and shooting capability. Now in case anyone who is obsessed with fluff goes- 'but termagants are meant to SHOOT things!'- I would like to say that in a recent battle against DE, my termagants got in a tangled combat with reavers and killed all but one, keeping the unit occupied for the majority of the battle. Also if you dont giv it upgrades its the more economic of the 2, but I would personally giv them devourers. Watever you do, DONT giv termagants adrenal glands or toxin sacs. Its not worth it and if you despretly need them the tervigon has the power to share its upgrades with the termagants. Its really down to wat u need more. Something that can sit on an objective for the whole game, or somthin that can eat the oponents objective campers.