PDA

View Full Version : Help with straight lines

entendre_entendre
02-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Let me clarify: I need help with painting straight lines and keeping them straight over non-flat surfaces, more specifically a Valkyrie for my chaos guard.

I want to have my Valk with a chaos star painted on the wings from above, but that involves keeping straight lines (and I want them straight) over the cockpit and engines. The problem is that I'm stumped as to how to accomplish this. Does anyone have any ideas that are fairly simple that don't require precision cutting of painter's tape?

geisthammer
02-22-2011, 12:20 AM
If your working on a table, put both your elbows on the table with the valk in one hand and the paint brush in the other. Now this will sound odd but rest your middle finger on the hand holding the valk and brush away. It works for me on when I'm freehanding on to a tank. But I am left handed.

proeliator_legio
02-22-2011, 07:24 AM
have you tried running lines with masking tape or something similar works on tanks but they are a little more square.

zenjah
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
No idea if this would actually work... but there are products out there called "Laser Chalk Lines" that project a straight line onto any surface. Presuming you could find a way to project the laser onto the model from above, and keep the model from moving, you could use the laser line as a guide for painting.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,259590,00.html

doom-kitten
02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Another very easy solution is to use the edge of the paintbrush, using the tip will cause the hairs to spread out on a fine edge I use the edge of the paintbrush well I used to got better at fine edging so now i use a very fine detail brush (very teeny) to paint on edges and as was earlier suggested place your elbows flat and try not to wiggle around.

Paintraina
02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I would try using micropens. They are basically sharpies with a teeny tiny tip and they can write on models. If you feel confident drawing a straight line, they are perfect.

fuzzbuket
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTaeBnkT-M&feature=BF&list=PLF82A8015FC6B1BEC&index=3

10:44 learn from the master :P

really masking tape rulers, and marking it out in pencil help