PDA

View Full Version : Will the New GK codex replace the DaemonHunters Codex

Archduke
02-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Logic says yes but from a rules perspective, they actually have different names and might not have all of the same unit so has GW actually said that it will?

Dalleron
02-19-2011, 01:14 AM
One cannot generally apply logic to anything that involves GW.

But I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't.

I'm kinda wondering about this codex more than any other. Is it codex GK? if so, why all the other non GK stuff. Or is it codex DH? What becomes of the WH codex. If you use it, are you stuck with the old rules for Assassins's or are you allowed to use the new codex versions? What if Inq. Lord Karamazov is worse than the WH version? Doubtful I know, but what if you prefer it? Many questions.

Lockark
02-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Codex: Catachans?

Chuck777
02-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Codex: Grey Knights will replace Codex: Daemonhunters. The name change is there to showcase the emphasis being placed on the Grey Knights, rather than the Inquisitorial aspects of the codex.

If GW ever gets around to it, then Codex: Sisters of Battle (which is the probable name) will replace Codex: Witchhunters.

SonicPara
02-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Common sense: "Codex: Grey Knights replaces Codex: DaemonHunters"

RAW-hugging/exploiting: "Codex: Grey Knights doesn't replace Codex: DaemonHunters! They aren't the same exact name so therefore one doesn't replace another!"

The new GK codex allows you to still run Inquisitorial armies through one hero's special ability removing restrictions on henchmen as requiring an Inquisitor. There really isn't a reason to run the older codex but I'm sure some will be jerks about it and try to get allied Inquisitors with Emperor's Tarot or something.

MaltonNecromancer
02-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Well, if you really wanted to, you could probably use the "name's different!" argument to use the old Daeomnhunters codex. As we know, it's probably one of the best codexes out there with units that are certainly not overpriced.

Seriously, why would anyone want to use the old, underpowered Daemonhunters codex?

SonicPara
02-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Seriously, why would anyone want to use the old, underpowered Daemonhunters codex?

Allies, if they don't exist in the new codex. If allies are gone or mystics are changed in the new codex, what will Titan players use to defend their precious killbots from deep striking meltagun units?

eldargal
02-19-2011, 03:16 AM
Yes, it does replace C: DH. Of course, thre is nothing stopping you continuing to use the old codex if you want. But its a pretty damned silly idea, C: DH is obsolete, overcosted and underpowered in 5th edition. Not to say its uncompetitive, but the new one looks quite fun (and balanced, in my opinion).

Wildeybeast
02-19-2011, 04:11 AM
This is a pointless discussion. If we are going on the basis of the name, then I can still use the original Tau codex as that one is called 'Tau', whereas the current one is called 'Tau Empire'! Of course its meant to replace and update the DH one!

Gir
02-19-2011, 04:50 AM
This is a pointless discussion. If we are going on the basis of the name, then I can still use the original Tau codex as that one is called 'Tau', whereas the current one is called 'Tau Empire'! Of course its meant to replace and update the DH one!

I would not be suprised if people argue that very point (That Tau Empire doesn't replace Tau).

Artein
02-19-2011, 04:53 AM
But it does not replace C:WH or any unit entry from C:WH. Maybe they'll produce FAQ for WH in which they'll update Karamazov or Assassins. I believe they won't.

Baron Spikey
02-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Codex: Space Marines doesn't replace Codex: Ultramarines and Codex: Blood Angels/Dark Angels don't replace Codex: Angels of Death- quick lets all bring out the 2nd edition Codexes (Codeci?)

MaltonNecromancer
02-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Allies, if they don't exist in the new codex. If allies are gone or mystics are changed in the new codex, what will Titan players use to defend their precious killbots from deep striking meltagun units?

Did you miss where GW re-released the Daemonhunters codex for free download and stated that allies aren't allowed any more? Allies haven't been usable for about seven months now - and that's from a codex with the same name. So there really is no reason whatsoever to use the old one.

SonicPara
02-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Did you miss where GW re-released the Daemonhunters codex for free download and stated that allies aren't allowed any more? Allies haven't been usable for about seven months now - and that's from a codex with the same name. So there really is no reason whatsoever to use the old one.

Since the codex is the same edition, many people (at least at my FLGS) consider the pdf and the physical copy to be interchangeable and so they keep using allies. It reeks a bit but its just how everyone has played it.

lobster-overlord
02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
While it DOES replace it from a "new book" perspective, there is nothing to say you cannot, with opponent's permission, use the old codex all you want.

I recently sold my 4th ed Space Marines codex to a fellow that said they preferred the 4th ed rules for them and were using the old book for a new player.

BuFFo
02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
The Codex Assassins was never updated, so I still run that book in my armies. :rolleyes:

Grailkeeper
02-19-2011, 09:50 AM
My squats/ arbites army is still going strong- particularly competitive with some zoat mercanaries

Heres a question- does it replace the witch hunters? it has pretty much ever non- Sister of battle unit from that codex along with some of the Special characters.

BuFFo
02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
My squats/ arbites army is still going strong- particularly competitive with some zoat mercanaries

Heres a question- does it replace the witch hunters? it has pretty much ever non- Sister of battle unit from that codex along with some of the Special characters.

no

Chuck777
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM

This book will not replace Witchhunters.

Tynskel
02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
let's take the opposite argument. Let's say it does not replace Daemonhunters.

Now that's fine. However, just about anywhere you go to play with your army, it is quite possible people will not play with you.

Then look at tournaments: they usually list what codices are allowed. Daemonhunters will probably not be on the list.

HsojVvad
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
How is this News or Rumours?

Of course GK will replace DH. How can you use a 3rd edtion GK when there is a 5th edtion GK now? How about Brother Stern? Same names, different edtions. All that is changed is the Title, but the names in the Grey Knight Codex replaces the names in the Deamon Hunter Codex. Title change doesn't cut it for me, sorry, you will have to use 5th edtion if playing in tournies. Of course if you play me in a friendly game, you can use what ever you want.

But come on. Title name change? I just find it funny how all the names inside the book are the same, with new ones added.

Lerra
02-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I figure I'll still pull out Codex: Daemonhunters for casual games. I've got a radical inquisition list that I use for casual games or as the ringer army for a tournament (lots of stormtroopers with three daemonhosts, one of my favorite units). It doesn't really convert to the new GK codex. Daemonhosts are totally different, for one, and stormtrooper spam isn't viable.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to object to playing against my underpowered inquisition list, though.

Chuck777
02-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I figure I'll still pull out Codex: Daemonhunters for casual games. I've got a radical inquisition list that I use for casual games or as the ringer army for a tournament (lots of stormtroopers with three daemonhosts, one of my favorite units). It doesn't really convert to the new GK codex. Daemonhosts are totally different, for one, and stormtrooper spam isn't viable.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to object to playing against my underpowered inquisition list, though.

Stormtrooper spam is totally viable in the new codex. Granted you loose a point of BS but you gain a ton of weapon customizability. Daemonhosts may be different but you can now take many more of them and use your Stormtroopers as meat shields, or take a big squad of 12 Hosts.

Kieranator K82
02-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Stormtrooper spam is totally viable in the new codex. Granted you loose a point of BS but you gain a ton of weapon customizability. Daemonhosts may be different but you can now take many more of them and use your Stormtroopers as meat shields, or take a big squad of 12 Hosts.

I assume by 'Stormtroopers' you mean 'Warrior Acolytes.' Why stop at carapace armour when you could give them power armour for an extra 6 pts per model? And I agree, 'Stormtrooper spam' is a totally viable option. Take Inquisitor Torquemada Coteaz, and Henchmen Warbands become Troops and no longer dependent on the number of Inquisitors in your army.

Duke
02-20-2011, 12:22 AM
There is a thread covering all this. Thread closed

Duke