PDA

View Full Version : Base sizes for units with no GW model

Lerra
02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
For tournaments, how do you determine what size base to use when there is no GW model? Ideally I want to make one model and be able to use it for every game, without having to switch bases between tournaments. It doesn't seem like there is a single standard base size for a lot of models, though.

Right now, I've got the Blue Scribes (jump infantry) modeled on a small flying base. My Herald of Tzeentch on a chariot (jetbike) is on a large flying base.

Should I anticipate any complaints about those base sizes? I'll be bringing this list to Adepticon.

Torpedo Vegas
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd email the tourney organizers and ask first.
As a rule, the local tournament circuit around here follows a policy of "if its reasonable, its okay."
As long as you aren't mounting vehicle sized models on small round bases I doubt it'll be a problem.

dannyat2460
02-17-2011, 03:18 PM
The rule for bases in 40k is it is the base provided with the model when purchased

so id say if its a conversion any GW base will do (within reason e.g. the model looks right on that size base)

somerandomdude
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
For tournaments, how do you determine what size base to use when there is no GW model? Ideally I want to make one model and be able to use it for every game, without having to switch bases between tournaments. It doesn't seem like there is a single standard base size for a lot of models, though.

Right now, I've got the Blue Scribes (jump infantry) modeled on a small flying base. My Herald of Tzeentch on a chariot (jetbike) is on a large flying base.

Should I anticipate any complaints about those base sizes? I'll be bringing this list to Adepticon.

There's not a hard and fast rule, but those are good choices.

Generally, its best to look at similar models and determine what they should have. Grotesques for instance are commonly being placed on 40mm bases now, as that's what most multi-wound units are (Warriors, for example). Most jetbikes are on the large flying bases (although the new DE Reavers are one small ones) so that would work fine.

I wouldn't expect any complaints about those models. If I saw those and didn't know that they didn't come with bases, I'd expect that's what they were supposed to use.