PDA

View Full Version : New Dark Eldar!

Farseer Uthiliesh
02-16-2011, 04:57 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

eldargal
02-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Pictures, for those too lazy to check GWs website:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1670028a_99060112066_DESuccubus_873x627.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1670013a_99060112062_DEBeastmaster_873x627.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1670033a_99060112067_DEClawedFiend_873x627.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1670018a_99060112063_Khymera1_873x627.jpg

DrLove42
02-16-2011, 05:25 AM
i Eat my words saying no new DE in March...

I Like...i think. Succubus is awesome, as are the razorwings. The Fiends nice as well. The beast master i think i'd want to convert a bit, and i'd imagine the skinned look of the Kymera being hard to paint well...

eldargal
02-16-2011, 05:26 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1670023a_99060112064_Khymera2_873x627.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1670038a_99060112068_DERazorwingFlock_873x627.jpg

I like everything about the Succubus except the head, the hairline is too high and it makes her look too masculine. This is not a major problem as I canswap it for one of the plastic heads. I would like to see more of the Beastmaster options, I think I may just make one of of plastic parts. I like all the beasts though.

Oh, and can I just :P at all the people who said there was no way GW would release more Dark Eldar in march, what with Orcs and Goblins being released earlier in the month?

Farseer Uthiliesh
02-16-2011, 05:28 AM
I would like to see more of the Beastmaster options, I think I may just make one of of plastic parts. I like all the beasts though.

Same. I will just purchase another Hellion pack, and make my own beastmaster. The beasts are all good.

DrLove42
02-16-2011, 05:28 AM
Only thing that actually worries me is the cost. A average squad of beasts (1 master, 1 fiend, 2 kymeras and 2 razorwings) is gonna set you back £50-£60...

eldargal
02-16-2011, 05:35 AM
I won't be using just those models for my beast packs, going to mix in some lobotomised tyranids and a few other nasties as well for variety. One of each of the GW kits I think, perhaps more of the razorwings.

I like the Succubus' chest armour, reminds me of one of my bullet bras.:rolleyes:

Farseer Uthiliesh
02-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Only thing that actually worries me is the cost. A average squad of beasts (1 master, 1 fiend, 2 kymeras and 2 razorwings) is gonna set you back £50-£60...

I may have to order through Maelstrom. Too expensive via Australia or UK GW sites.

DrLove42
02-16-2011, 05:43 AM
I won't be using just those models for my beast packs, going to mix in some lobotomised tyranids and a few other nasties as well for variety. One of each of the GW kits I think, perhaps more of the razorwings.

I like the Succubus' chest armour, reminds me of one of my bullet bras.:rolleyes:

S' a good plan. I like the story in the codex where they draw a Hive fleet to a imperial planet, just so they can capture some big beasties.

As for the 2nd comment i'll just leave that one aside :P

The Madman
02-16-2011, 07:19 AM
heh, the clawed fiend has six nipples, i like it too bad there isn't any more poses. :D

anyway i love the Khymera, i don't have any intention on collecting DE but i do want one of each in my collection.

the Succubus is alright but i was expecting a more dynamic pose for a space gladiator/ninja.

the Razorwing Flock is not that interesting, can't really do much with birds i surpose.

don't like the Beastmaster head but the rest is good.

DrLove42
02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
I Just realised where i've seen the Kymera before!

First Hellboy film...Sammael, the Hellhound. Down to the bony arms and wierd spiky tongue...

Grailkeeper
02-16-2011, 07:52 AM
The succubus has some serious pram-face going on.

I'd be tempted to paint her up in the colours of Kabal Bur'Berigh

wittdooley
02-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Eldargirl--- I have to ask: What is a bullet bra? I legitimately have no idea, and my wife has bras of all shapes and colors.

eldargal
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Its a design of bra that was very popular in the 1950s, it has a different shaped cup which gives a much more flattering silhouette than modern cups. Particularly for bustier women.

newtoncain
02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Nice miniatures, but I wont be buying any ($200+ to swap out the 1 squad of beast/master I already have from WH/LotR conversions, no thanks). Just need to buy some 40mm bases to make them legal.:D

Archon Charybdis
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah, I love all the models, but there's no way I'm spending that much, especially when I was hoping to field multiple units.

MaltonNecromancer
02-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, the prices are something else. £8.20 per Khymera? No thanks GW, I'm not on drugs.

The Succubus seems to be a Wych but made of metal. I don't actually see anything different there apart from a bit more greebling... and I hate fantasy-style greebling, so not getting that one.

The clawed fiend is a properly embarrassing 1970's era Doctor Who monster; absolutely narmful sculpt!

The razorwings are... bird? Seriously GW: birds? Turds.

BUT the Khymera are amazing; beautful sculpts, genuinely horrific... shame they're metal. Seriously, why is everything in Fantasy glorious plastic and in 40K the cool units get punked out with horrible hard-to-convert-paint-scratchs-off-no-matter-what-you-do-constantly-re-gluing-broken-bits pewter?

*grumble* :mad:

jorz192
02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I want the razor wing flocks, they are really expensive though. Do you think if I played against someone they would let me put two birds on a base rather than 4? That way I wouldn't need to buy as many of them and at 12.75 a pop when I want to get like 6 it's over the top!

BlindGunn
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I want the razor wing flocks, they are really expensive though. Do you think if I played against someone they would let me put two birds on a base rather than 4? That way I wouldn't need to buy as many of them and at 12.75 a pop when I want to get like 6 it's over the top!
I'm thinking the same thing. Only place that may be an issue is in a GW Battle Bunker (usually).

However, looking at the picture a second time, I think two of those birds are a single molded model. Not sure what the balance on a stand will be like...

Anyway, I do like the Succubus.

I don't like the Beastmaster - may sacrifice a Hellion for that.

I have 5 of the original D Eldar Beasts, so I won't buy any of the new Khymera right away.

but to buy one of these units in Canada GW direct is $157+. No way I'm making a full-sized unit of 5 Beastmasters this way.

SHAME on YOU, GW!

somerandomdude
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM
The efficient build of 3 BM, 5 Khymerae, and 4 Flocks (156 points) is $165 US.

More than $1 per point. Could you imagine paying ~$200 for a Tactical Squad? Or how about Terminators?

Sooooo glad I was able to get some Warp Beasts a little bit ago. I hope I can find some others. I also don't understand why the Beastmaster has to be metal. And I can't help but think "Varghulf" when I look at the Clawed Fiend - it's practically the same pose!

Although I did enjoy the testing at the end, and I'm wondering how much fun one of those small squads would be. You'd have to make sure they don't take any wounds to protect the Leadership, but it could be entertaining.

wittdooley
02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
For those that like that clawed fiend, and are interested in more than one but with a different sculpt, I found this from Zenit miniatures:

http://zenitminiatures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=101

I think they'd look nice side by size. A bit different, but cool.

Necron_Lord
02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm happy with the look of the minis, except the Beastmaster head and maybe the Razorwing Flocks. I think that with a different paint job, the head might be better, I guess I'll just have to take a look at one and decide for myself.

I am disappointed about the pricing (as in buying them) of the unit, however. All of the complaints about this unit are familiar as I collect Necrons. Pariahs and Immortals are just like this unit where you buy blisters of 1 to collect a unit. Pariahs and Immortals cost $140 for a full squad of ten before the 9.75% sales tax here in Southern California. If one wants a full Beastmaster Pack of Razorwings, Clawed Fiends and Khymerae (11 models) it will cost one $161.75 before tax, in other words just a little bit more than the Necron units mentioned previously per model.

I cannot see GW pricing Imperial units (outside of Forge World) in such a way. Hopefully when the new Necron codex comes out the units won't continue to be priced in this way.

Khymerae are definitely a lot better than the old Warp Beasts. They finally got that idea right!! With Wych bits, the Succubus is sure to be awesome. It will go along with my old Lelith Hesperax mini as my Ynnitach.

Scion_of_Terra
02-16-2011, 12:53 PM
It would appear that the Succubus is armed with an electrocorrosive whip. Interesting.
I agree with eldargal that the hairline is too far back, which is unfortunate.
I have no idea what the blade in her left hand is supposed to represent (PW? Venom Blade? Generic CCW?), but it's exactly what I've been looking for for my Dark Elf lord conversion.
Personally, I like the Beastmaster head; I just wish that there were variants for each one of the beasts like the fluff states.

isotope99
02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
The beastmaster and succubus suffer from Plastic Alternative Syndrome. The beastmaster would make a good wrack champion or haemonculus though.

The beasts suffer from generic monster syndrome. Not special enough to justify the metal price tag. I'll get some razorwings as there are few alternatives but otherwise will generally stick with plastic conversions.

Chuck777
02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
These prices are ridiculous!

Honestly, I'd just use Vampire Count Dire Wolves (with some Nid bits) as Kymeras and Island of Blood Rat Ogres as Clawed Fiends.

DrBored
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm certainly going to buy the Succubus, just so I can make a whole caste of Wyches, from Lelith on down the line.

The Beastmaster looks really cool, and so I'll get one of him, but any other Beastmasters I have in a squad will be converted from Hellions. Cheaper and easier. This will at least ensure that the Beastmaster with the Agoniser will stand out.

The Beasts... I do really love the Khymerae and Razorwing Flocks, so I wouldn't mind paying the price for what I need from them, especially since there's no great alternative for the Razorwing, but the Clawed Fiend is highly 'meh'. For one, I don't see a need for too many of them in a squad, but even two will start to look very same-y very fast. Razorwings can at least be arranged on the stand differently, and Khymerae have two models with parts that, probably, could be interchanged a little, but the Clawed Fiend is a one-trick pony that if you want more than 1 of, things start getting very boring.

All in all, quite happy with what I'm seeing.

But where/s the Venom, the Scourges, the Talos? I thought at LEAST we'd be seeing the Venom too!!

Lerra
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
There's still another wave of DE coming after this. GW decided to release these models early, in part because DE have been selling better than expected.

wittdooley
02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
These prices are ridiculous!

Honestly, I'd just use Vampire Count Dire Wolves (with some Nid bits) as Kymeras and Island of Blood Rat Ogres as Clawed Fiends.

Has anyone looked to convert some LoTR Wargs for this purpose as well?

Mellowshade
02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
I think the Succubus needs a more interesting paintjob than just black to bring out it's potential.

I personnally like the Beastmaster though I would just have the one and convert up extras.

I like all the beasts though think the clawed fiend needs bigger claws!

andrewm9
02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
The efficient build of 3 BM, 5 Khymerae, and 4 Flocks (156 points) is $165 US.

More than $1 per point. Could you imagine paying ~$200 for a Tactical Squad? Or how about Terminators?

This is funny. You know that there are currently existing armies that pay 123.65 US dollars for a squad and transport right? Sisters pay that much for there main troops, heavy weapon, spec weapon, and the sister superior and the rhino. If paid for a full size squad of 20 about 17 dollars more with no Rhino.

With their base sizxe and what not you are getting more metal for your price I'm sure. When I played daemons I paid rougjly 100 dollars US for 6 fiends.

GrenAcid
02-16-2011, 03:52 PM
I really like Khymera and beastmaster minis....but im mad so maybe thats the problem.

Im not mad inuff to pay 14 "quid" for one fiend, and 8 for khymera... in my patrol lists there was one unit, but how about 1.5k game and unit with 3 and more beastmaster?; with prices like that...I can sa only one thing:

Screw you GW, Ill takie my toys and money to PP.(for now)[btw sorry if I said it to rough]

Xas
02-16-2011, 04:53 PM
yay, my favourite unit is finally out (at least soon... oh the waiting will be torture)!

and all of them look nice (with the tentacled kymaera beeing best and the slightly plain looking birds beeing still acceptable even though I had envisioned GW to be able to do a bit better on them looking mean/dangerous)!

my calculator says that my final, no holds army list will still come out less money wise than a full set of skiing/diving equipment and the bus ticket to the nearest store will shurely be cheaper than a skiing/diving holiday (and I'm not even going to break my leg or get eaten by some silly sea-monster for double YAY!).

I'm just hopeing those metal skyboards will fit the flying stands as well as the plastic ones!

eldargal
02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Price is high, but reasonable for large metal models. The cost is irrelevent to me and I'm still going to mix in other models for variety, its not like you HAVE to use those models.

newtoncain
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm certainly going to buy the Succubus, just so I can make a whole caste of Wyches, from Lelith on down the line.

The Beasts... I do really love the Khymerae and Razorwing Flocks, so I wouldn't mind paying the price for what I need from them, especially since there's no great alternative for the Razorwing!!

Try LotR "Giant Bats" http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460029a&prodId=prod1080057, same price-ish, but less likely to need repair.:eek:

RocketRollRebel
02-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I love the Succubus. The mini screams "I will eff up you and your mom".

somerandomdude
02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
This is funny. You know that there are currently existing armies that pay 123.65 US dollars for a squad and transport right? Sisters pay that much for there main troops, heavy weapon, spec weapon, and the sister superior and the rhino. If paid for a full size squad of 20 about 17 dollars more with no Rhino.

With their base sizxe and what not you are getting more metal for your price I'm sure. When I played daemons I paid rougjly 100 dollars US for 6 fiends.

I know how much Sisters pay, as my cousin plays them. I also know that the entire range is metal because they haven't been able to update them.

I also know that GW's skills with plastic has improved dramatically, and they're able to do a lot of intricate details with their sculptors as is shown by the revamped Dark Eldar range.

Finally, I know that 6 Fiends is about $0.55 per point, and that Beastmaster unit is $1.06 per point.

I'm not complaining about overall price spent (as that's a ridiculous thing to complain about in this hobby) - I'm complaining about price efficiency. Everyone was talking about how cheap the new Warriors/Wyches were for instance without thinking about what percentage of an army that would make up. They were actually priced well when you compare them to a SM Tactical Squad, because of the in-game point difference.

Also, that Battle Sisters Squad is less than $1 per point.

jorz192
02-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Try LotR "Giant Bats" http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460029a&prodId=prod1080057, same price-ish, but less likely to need repair.:eek:

But you can probably get away with splitting the Razorwing flocks into two bases so you don't have to buy as many/:

eldargal
02-18-2011, 12:47 AM
GW can only do a certain number of plastic kits per year, and as most of the DE range were plastic they had more than their fair share. I fully expect in four or five years we will see even mroe current metal DE kits go plastic, but for the time being we have to make do.

I know how much Sisters pay, as my cousin plays them. I also know that the entire range is metal because they haven't been able to update them.

I also know that GW's skills with plastic has improved dramatically, and they're able to do a lot of intricate details with their sculptors as is shown by the revamped Dark Eldar range.

Finally, I know that 6 Fiends is about $0.55 per point, and that Beastmaster unit is $1.06 per point.

I'm not complaining about overall price spent (as that's a ridiculous thing to complain about in this hobby) - I'm complaining about price efficiency. Everyone was talking about how cheap the new Warriors/Wyches were for instance without thinking about what percentage of an army that would make up. They were actually priced well when you compare them to a SM Tactical Squad, because of the in-game point difference.

Also, that Battle Sisters Squad is less than $1 per point.

Unzuul the Lascivious
02-18-2011, 05:02 AM
I like the Succubus and agree, EldarGal, the hairline c'est ne bonne pas. Definitely needs a head swap.

As for the beasts and the Beastmaster? Naff. Not a fan on the Beastmaster's helmet or musculature (seems too heavy set). The skyboard looks chunky and clunky to me. The Clawed Fiend is clown shoes. I think I will take another leaf from Eldargal's book and convert some Nid models (if I can ever be fussed to field Beastmasters).
The Razorwings are very disappointing and lazily sculpted - why not sculpt a raptor attacking with claws outstretched? Or with wings folded back into a dive position? Or wings flapping forward to slash at an enemy? Boring boring boring and VERY disappointing.
The Khymerae are the best of the bunch. Contrary to another poster here, I think they'll be relatively easy to paint - basecoat the musculature with Mechrite red, go over with red gore and drybrush with blood red, then use a 1:3 Badab Black/Baal red mix to wash it, getting the wash into the crenulations, then when dry highlight again with blood red, then top highlights with blazing orange and slap on a Baal red wash to finish it. Should work a treat.

Anyway, if I ever did field Beastmasters, the Khymerae would be the only miniatures here I would consider purchasing. £81.40 for a Beastmaster, A Clawed Fiend, 2 Razorwing bases and 5 Khymerae, frankly Games Workshop, is seriously 'extracting the urine'. I predict this line to be an absolute wash-out.

VERY DISAPPOINTED (I suppose would be the krux of this post...)

steelmage99
02-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Five coats of paint and two washes (one of which is a mix) is relatively easy? :)

Anyway, the models are nice.....the price, not so much.

$288 for a unit of 5 (identical) Beastmasters, 10 Khymeras and 6 Razorwing Flocks is insane, even for GW.

addamsfamily36
02-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Clawed fiend screams CONVERSION!!!

file down the 4 extra nipples, remove the tail and the head and im seeing a perfect base for either a minotaur or a werewolf!!

:D Knife, Putty , Convert

Unzuul the Lascivious
02-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Five coats of paint and two washes (one of which is a mix) is relatively easy? :)

Yeah dude, nothing hard about waiting for paint to dry!!!:)

Unzuul the Lascivious
02-21-2011, 05:22 AM
nipples

Heh heh heh...