PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the Blood Angels Menace.

RIGHT-Titan
02-15-2011, 09:31 AM
For as long as I can remember I've been a Codex Marine player.

We aren't the best at much, but we can do a bit of everything. Where I'm finding this falls flat on it's face is in dealing with the Blood Angels.

They have almost all the toys the Codex boys enjoy, but then get spiffy things like Stormravens, Fast Vindicators, Fast Attack tanks, Descent of Angels for precision strikes, and Razorbacks that chew up Combat Squads like swiss cheese (for only 20 some-odd points when you drop your jump packs), just to name a few things.

I've found it incredibly hard to compete with them. I know there are ways, but the Blood Angels I find have a very good codex at dealing with what we Codex Marines bring to the table.

For instance:

Combat Squads: One of our big advantages is being able to squad the troop choices to hold more ground and be able to fire your heavy weapon and still move the special choice. The problem is cover saves don't work against Heavy bolters. If I can see you with my Missile Launcher/Lascannon, then you can see me and shoot me with twin-linked Heavy Bolters that hit accurately and hard against small groups of Marines. Even in 1000 pt games, it's very very easy to be facing at least 3 razorbacks that will dump 9 shots into a heavy weapon combat squad.

Descent of Angels: Assault squads jumping behind your lines accurately with a re-roll to enter the fight can be devastating. Your vehicles can't outrun them, so you have no option but to turn and shoot them or they'll assault you. If you can't kill them, which, depending on the amount of them dropping is hard to say the least, they will assault your vehicles that moved 6" to try and shoot them, hit on 4's with krak grenades on rear armor (AV10 most of the time) and cause significant damage. The only reasonable solution is to leave something in the back field that is then not doing harm up front. This also ignores the fact that a good BA player will be driving mech down your grill too.

Librarian/Furioso/Flying Dreadnoughts: Magna-grapple/melta at this range means that odds of them making their points back first turn is pretty high even if they get podded in.

Mephiston: Immune to ID, Psycher with lethal weapons and skills. Just rediculously good. You can kill him for sure. But the amount of high-strength fire he'll take to bring down means you're not removing squads from vehicles as fast as you need to.

These are some of the things I've found to be big problems in dealing with the Blood Angel menace that infests my gaming group.

I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom, but what strategies have you found for dealing with them, with the good ol' classic codex marines?

DarkLink
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Even in 1000 pt games, it's very very easy to be facing at least 3 razorbacks that will dump 9 shots into a heavy weapon combat squad.

So don't combat squad. Just because you can and just because it's sometimes a good thing doesn't mean it's always a good thing.

This also ignores the fact that a good BA player will be driving mech down your grill too.

If he drops half his army in your face, castle and wipe them out. He's splitting his forces for you. You suddenly have a whole bunch of exposed Marines sitting around, and FNP and cover are the only things protecting them. Lots of plasma can solve that problem.

Once again, just because castling isn't always ideal doesn't mean you should never do it. If it keeps him from surrounding you, then go for it. Plus, long ranged weapons like lascannons don't care where you deploy them much, so long as they have LOS.

Librarian/Furioso/Flying Dreadnoughts: Magna-grapple/melta at this range means that odds of them making their points back first turn is pretty high even if they get podded in.

So protect your castle with a shield of Rhinos. When his dreadnought kills your 35pts, your tactical squad with meltagun and multimelta can blow him away.

Mephiston: Immune to ID, Psycher with lethal weapons and skills. Just rediculously good. You can kill him for sure. But the amount of high-strength fire he'll take to bring down means you're not removing squads from vehicles as fast as you need to.

Lots of plasma and lots of THSS Terminators and denying the charge. You might not be able to pick of Mephiston from a distance very effectively, but let him try and get in your lines and kill a sacrificial unit, then assault him with THSS Termies or hammer him with plasma.