PDA

View Full Version : The redeemer of the lost

jorz192
02-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Based on the fluff in his entry for Astorath do you think that he is some sort of psyker?

It describes him being able to sense the onset of the black rage from a great distance so he
would have to have some sort of premonition of the state of his battle-brothers sanity.

Is it because of his position within the chapter or was he chosen for this role because of
his ability?

Thornblood
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Rather than a psyker thing I would say it was a spiritual thing for him in the Blood Angels.

Of course depending on whose writing the fluff they might be the same, but generally, faith stuff- like battle sisters faith points work different to psychic powers.

Also, and especially when Graham Mcneil is involved the Warhammer 40k universe has alot of Sci-fi christian theology laced throughout, especially with the Blood Angels. It was always intended to be a mirror of the idea that mankind cannot help itself but sin, in the same way the Blood Angels cannot help themselves with the Black Rage. The Blood Angels have a particularly catholic feel to them. Whilst 'Redeemer of the Lost' is a particularly Jesus-esque title, the role Astorath performs I think is deliberately that to mimic the Angel of Death. Not to mention in this version GW seem to have tried to put more of the 'angel' in Blood Angel.

Which is funny, because Space Marines have always been called Angels of Death.

However Im not saying that all Blood Angel stuff is a warped form of psuedo-christianity.

pgarfunkle
05-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Well the Blood Angels have been described as having a high occurance of psychic abilities in the current codex thanks to their Primarchs own abilities and that even non psychic marines have the ability to sometime "forsee" the future in dreams, I think Corbulo is one of the characters mentioned. So I figured this was another example of this latent psychic ability perhaps.