PDA

View Full Version : Army Transport?

eagleboy7259
02-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I went down to my local hobby shop today looking for an army carrier for my chaos demons. My hobby shop usually has a good selection of stuff - warmachine, flames of war, gamesworkshop, etc. So me and the clerk sat down to try and figure something out to carry a bloodthirster, fateweaver, and some demon princes. 10 minutes later... Nothing! The only thing that he could recommend was custom ordering some Battlefoam.

I've tried pick and pluck foam before, but the height of the model combined with the space needed for the wings just means that they break apart whenever I move them. Right now I'm just using packing peanuts and bubble wrap.

Can someone help me find a better solution that won't cost me a fortune to transport my army?

wittdooley
02-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Seriously, just get the BattleFoam. You won't regret it.

dont13link
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
I had the same issues you have for my DP with Balrog wings.

One simple statement solves all your problems.

Battlefoam FTW.

Yes it may be a bit more expensive, but it's worth it in the long run. My girlfriend just picked up a Dark Eldar army, and she's already asking when we can get some Battlefoam for her because she's seen how awesome mine is.

gcsmith
02-13-2011, 02:45 AM
:p I want battlefoam, but made the mistake of mentioning it at my local gw. The manager glared at me and sed, Well why wouldnt u want ours? :p
scary moment, admitedly ive had 2 gw cases, and both have started falling apart :p

But for custom models BF is the best, Ive not seen anyone who offers anything as good. Despite its price its very very good from what ive seen.

Mellowshade
02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
:p I want battlefoam, but made the mistake of mentioning it at my local gw. The manager glared at me and sed, Well why wouldnt u want ours? :p
scary moment, admitedly ive had 2 gw cases, and both have started falling apart :p

But for custom models BF is the best, Ive not seen anyone who offers anything as good. Despite its price its very very good from what ive seen.

Don't be intimidated by GW managers. You, the customer have a right to shop wherever you please and if said manager wants your custom he better show you some respect.

I have a complicated relationship with my local store. The manager is a friend of mine and I want him to do well but his prices, being GW retail prices, are too high. Luckily enough, Wayland Games just around the corner so they get most of my business. It is not unheard of for me to go to Wayland, get what they have in stock then go to GW to pick up what else I need they didn't have, Wayland's logo emblazoned all over the carrier bags I'm heaving.

But yes, to your original question, get battlefoam. I have one of their bags that they make specifically for warmachine and it is a great investment. For the GW stuff I have one of those massive two tray canvas bags they sold for a limited time years ago, one side filled with infantry trays the other effectively a monster case. I would buy at least 2 more today if GW qould just make them available.

Atrocity
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
A cheap alternative (though I've never tried to carry my winged DP's in 'em) is a 4 pistol case. They're similar to a briefcase only a bit wider. They're filled with eggcrate foam and work really well. Pretty much my whole FLGS uses them. You can grab one at Wal-Mart for ~$20 or if they have an Academy Sports & Outdoors in Michigan, they're $15. I use one for Rhinos and one for everything else (Oblits, Plague Marines, zerkers, Abbadon, etc) though my infantry counts aren't terribly high

We do have an Ork player who fits his green tide army in 3 or 4 cases (if he's bringing a lot of Trukks). We have a Nid player who cut some holes in the top piece of the foam so the parts that stick out (think Mawlock) wouldn't get damaged. A Daemon's player followed suit for his Bloodthirster and Lord of Change (specifically for wings in this case).

Lerra
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I pinned/magnetized all of the wings in my daemons army so that they are removable. It makes transport so much easier.

DrLove42
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I used battlefoam for the Space Hulk custom fit sheet they did. ost me as much in shipping as it did for the foam, and that was sharing!

All my figures fit in the GW foam, anything bigger is in the cardboard boxes my many FW orders have come in, wrapped in bubblewrap, styrofoam peanuts and the spare foam inserts taken out of other packing

dannyat2460
02-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Same here if i cant fit it in my GW carry case one of the cardboard boxes from FW packed with spare foam out of the GW custom case I do advise getting your GF/friend to carry them tho if your carrying anything else

Tynskel
02-13-2011, 03:52 PM
curious. How does Battlefoam deal with copyright? They use 'stormraven' and 'gw' on their website.

dannyat2460
02-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Its making foam to go into there cases and GW is more into protecting there model making ability than there actual names of there products, and crushing anything with the ability to produce anything that could ever rival them

Whoop!
02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
how's this for cheap *** scrubby?

I use a 5 gallon paint bucket, with foam circles cut out of a memory foam mattress pad. I used to be embarrassed, but I'm past it now. I just plop down a 5 gallon bucket whoopass.

Lane
02-13-2011, 07:36 PM

I would have told the GW manager about the two GW cases falling apart and that is why you wanted Battlefoam.

Note: Battlefoam makes custom foam for GW cases.

eagleboy7259
02-13-2011, 08:11 PM
I pinned/magnetized all of the wings in my daemons army so that they are removable. It makes transport so much easier.

I really wish I had the foresight to do that. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to do that with the Bloodthirster and Fateweaver and actually make the wings stick.

How much is a battlefoam case going to run me? I have 10 bloodletters, 10 plaguebearers, 15 pewter horrors, 3 pewter bloodcrushers w/ the herald on a bloodcrusher (that dang sword makes it impossible to fit him in any box), 6 flamers, bloodthirster, fateweaver, 5 flesh hounds and karank, pewter demon prince, 2 soul grinders and the new plastic demon prince. What combination of foam can I get to carry all that?

wittdooley
02-13-2011, 08:21 PM
I really wish I had the foresight to do that. I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to do that with the Bloodthirster and Fateweaver and actually make the wings stick.

How much is a battlefoam case going to run me? I have 10 bloodletters, 10 plaguebearers, 15 pewter horrors, 3 pewter bloodcrushers w/ the herald on a bloodcrusher (that dang sword makes it impossible to fit him in any box), 6 flamers, bloodthirster, fateweaver, 5 flesh hounds and karank, pewter demon prince, 2 soul grinders and the new plastic demon prince. What combination of foam can I get to carry all that?

Your biggest problem with, obviously, be the Demon Prince and Soul Grinders. There's no reason, if you don't want to drop a large wad at once, to get a custom foam for your big models first, as those are the ones that are probably more prone to breaking.

A big *** 1520 will run you around 200 for plenty of space for all of that, and more. Aside from your big models that I listed before, you could probably pull a 720 for around $140.

Lane
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
How much is a battlefoam case going to run me?

Have you looked at their site?

Most of your troops should fit in 1 tray though you may want a 1.5" tray as the poses tend to be dynamic.
The two Soul grinders fit in a 6.25" tray
Blood crushers should fit in a 3" tray, custom cut w/ Herald laying on side, flesh hounds and demon prince in same tray with room to spare.
Fate weaver and bloodthirster in another tray, not sure how thick but 3" should be fine.

Experiment with the custom tray creator.
Look at your models and decide how big the slots need to be for troops and cav. Most of them will fit in ne tray if you lay it our right.
For the large models you can either use standard circles/ rectangles, overlap basic shapes to get a closer fit or trace the models and have them lay the tray out. I did not see any greater demon shapes on the creator page but email them, they may have them on file.

fuzbuckle
02-14-2011, 01:49 PM
You might want to look at the KR Multicase as a less expensive alternative. http://www.krmulticase.com/

They have some custom stuff that might meet your needs.

Brass Scorpion
02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Can someone help me find a better solution that won't cost me a fortune to transport my army?I find the Plano 1404 Accessory Case is great and inexpensive for large models. It ranges from about $11 to $20 depending on where you can find it. I can fit 5 or 6 IG or SM tanks in one or 2 Baneblades side by side. I use them for most of my large and odd shaped models. You can also buy foam in varying thicknesses by the yard at places like Jo Ann Fabric and make your own custom foam.

JMichael
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I made my own for my Eldar tanks.
I took a pluck foam tray to a local fabric store that stocks varying densities of foam.
They were able to pick an exact match for $8.50 and cut any size I wanted (I had cut them to the dimensions for saboldesigns Armored Company bag).

I do have to cut them myself, but with a long utility knife it was easy and looks fairly clean.
The fabric store also glued on the1/4" high density foam bottom for free (thus saving me from buying the special glue).

Again...$8.50/tray and no shipping!

beyond the grave
02-14-2011, 06:38 PM
try a hard pistol case. they are cheap and work pretty good.

wittdooley
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
I appreciate the IDEA of the pistol cases, but you couldn't pay me enough to put a big, fragile model in one of those things. Couldn't do it.

beyond the grave
02-14-2011, 10:34 PM
it works perfect for the little infantry models. as for the bigger models, all you need to do is a little molding with the foam. the only one that would be a problem would most likely be the soulgrinder, and maybe the prince, depending how he is built. i have seen pistol cases work out great for daemons. the largest things that i have seen fit in one were a couple of rhinos fit in one, and a land raider fit in another, with some molding to the foam

like i said, they are very cheap (in comparison), easy to find, and you can find replacement foam easy. I'd say it's at least worth a shot.