PDA

View Full Version : 2 pistols

sneakyben
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
I want to arm a space marine captain with 2 plasma pistols mostly because I think it will look cool...

Question is, can I shoot both in the shooting phase?

Please could you also provide a rule book page reference for this?

(I know the situation for a big weapon and a small weapon, but not 2 small weapons)

Demonus
02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
I believe you can only shoot one, but would get a bonus atack in cc

Scion_of_Terra
02-11-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't think you can buy two of the same weapon unless specifically stated in the codex entry (i.e. lightening claws).

Hellstorm
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
well according to the space marine codex, the captain can switch his bolt pistol and/or chainsword for a plasma pistol. but i believe that you are only allowed to fire one weapon per model, per turn. (the exception is monstrous creatures but obviously he isn't one)

Bda_Gamer
02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
No reason you and your friends could not make up a special rule for him.

*Twin linked plasma pistol
or
*one counts as a power weapon for CC

Tynskel
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Dude, just arm him with two plas pistols and maybe slap a sword on the back. There are plenty of scabbards out there. The model will look cool and will be useable at a tournament (if you are into such a thing).

fuzzbuket
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
no you can only purchase a single pistol,

however because they both count as CC weapons you get +1 A in CC
a compromise would be a bolt+plasma pistol: you get +1 attack in CC and the option between pistols !

short answer no , but no reason to not give him 2 pistols and another weapon and just ignore the 2nd pistol!

Whoop!
02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a couple of models that were two-fisted guning it. It does look sharp.

I want to do a unit of gunslingers, can you give an old West flavor to a space Marine? Anybody for the Dark Tower?

Tynskel
02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
there is nothing saying you cannot purchase a second pistol. In fact, the way the rules are written, you can most do it. However, you can only shoot one weapon a turn, unless specifically stated otherwise. And that goes with twin-linked weapons too.

There is no point to buying two pistols--- that's why I recommend slapping a scabbard on the model, that way it will look cool, and be functional from a WYSIWYG.

scadugenga
02-11-2011, 11:28 PM
In the "before it was dumbed down more" new dexes--I used to model two pistols on a "gunslinger" hero using the master crafted wargear--basically just allowing for a reroll on a missed attack.

Seemed to work okay.

I also liked a brace of "long barrelled dueling bolt pistols" as a "counts as storm bolter" for my DH Inquisitor.

phoenix01
02-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I have one word for all the naysayers toward two pistols on a model: Cypher.

lobster-overlord
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I have one word for all the naysayers toward two pistols on a model: Cypher.

ANd two works back at that: Special Character.

He had his own rules that allowed for him to do that.

Calling it "master crafted" or even "Storm Bolter" rules work great. Rule wise, with the and/or, does allow for it, but the redundancy does no good, other than cost point and acts as a chainsword would rule wise. So just model it, pay for one, and you're good.

John M>

MasterSlowPoke
02-12-2011, 03:55 AM
The suggestion that the second plasma pistol is a "counts-as" power sword is a good one.

Grailkeeper
02-12-2011, 04:55 AM
the rules for twin linked and mastercrafted are the same. Pay for mastercrafted say its twin linked

Daemonette666
02-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Rules for twin linked Bolt pistols exist for Seraphim. Their Twin hand Flamers count as a flamer for shooting, and 2 close combat weapoins for CC.

Since the new Vanilla Space Marines Codex allows you to buy 2 plasma pistols, then you should be able to use them as a twin linked Plasma Pistol. You have paid the points for them, and the 5th edition rules state that if you 2 of a weapon it counts as twin linked.

I would have to check the SM codex, but it might be cheaper to pay the cost for a master crafted Plsma pistol, or model a sword on the ICs back like Lobster mentioned is a good one. Maybe even green stuff or build a Glaive coming from the models arm grieve to count as a power weapon.

A daemon weapon and a few 8 pointed star symbols would look good on it, as well as some horns coming from the helmet, and few skulls on chains hanging from his waist. LOL.

gcsmith
02-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Daemonette, Having 2 of a weapon doesnt automatically make it twinlinked, for example the two heavy bolter sponsons on a pred dnt count as twinlinked.

While u can take 2 plas pistols. theres no point, just model it like that for cool factor.

sneakyben
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Daemonette, Having 2 of a weapon doesnt automatically make it twinlinked, for example the two heavy bolter sponsons on a pred dnt count as twinlinked.

While u can take 2 plas pistols. theres no point, just model it like that for cool factor.

Wow, I never expected this to go to two pages!

Thanks for the info:D

lobster-overlord
02-12-2011, 07:59 PM
the rules for twin linked and mastercrafted are the same. Pay for mastercrafted say its twin linked

Not true. Master crafted weapons get ONE reroll per weapon in a turn, but for a single shot that's the same as twin linked, so it works in this case, but for a stormbolter it would only get to reroll one of the two shots if they both missed.

Also, where can you buy Master Crafting in the new marine codex? I can only find it as a listing of existing individual special characters.

John M>

scadugenga
02-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Not true. Master crafted weapons get ONE reroll per weapon in a turn, but for a single shot that's the same as twin linked, so it works in this case, but for a stormbolter it would only get to reroll one of the two shots if they both missed.

Also, where can you buy Master Crafting in the new marine codex? I can only find it as a listing of existing individual special characters.

John M>

You can't, which is when I mentioned the master-crafting it was pre new dumbed down codices...

And by dumbed down, I mean less originality, less customization, and more reliance on SC's to unlock alternate builds/goodies.

zenjah
02-13-2011, 10:47 AM
nd the 5th edition rules state that if you 2 of a weapon it counts as twin linked.

Got a page number for that? Because I think you just made that up...

Drake_263
02-13-2011, 01:48 PM
For the record, I modelend one of my Sergeants as having two plasma pistos for that exact reason - it looked cool :) Had to do some inventive fiddling with the arms to make him point them at the same target, too, but.. cool-looking mini!

Anyhow, the rules do say that a given mini can only shoot one ranged weapon in a tunr. Personally I did slap him a chainsword onto his hip and play him as a 'counts as' chainsword/plasma pistol - I'd say that's the easy route compared to thinking up various (house)rules :)

ElCheezus
02-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Now, I know this doesn't apply to all Codecies, but I believe in the 'Nid codex it says that if you buy two of a weapon for it's MCs, it's just one TL'd weapon. I'm interested if this is supported in the BRB anywhere as a general rule. Is there a reference, Daemonette? That would take care of things quite neatly. I'll look for one, myself.

Culven
02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Now, I know this doesn't apply to all Codecies, but I believe in the 'Nid codex it says that if you buy two of a weapon for it's MCs, it's just one TL'd weapon. I'm interested if this is supported in the BRB anywhere as a general rule.
There is no general rule that makes paired weapons count as Twin-Linked. It is only found as a special rule in some codecies.

Xas
02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
cross your fingers for this to be included in E6.

and plasma pistols counting as power weapons to make their price-tag acceptable again (really, a plasma pistol costs 5 points MORE than a meltagun of which both kill marines at 12" and all the more expensive one does is give +1A in melee where the other one rapes tanks/t4 multiwound ?!?)

Tynskel
02-19-2011, 07:04 PM
well, I think plasma pistols are reasonably priced. You are getting a gun that fires multiple times, vs a combi-weapon that fires once.

If you were referring to assault squads, well, it really depends on what you are doing with the squad. Plasma pistols implies anti-heavy infantry first, and tanks second, whereas a melta implies tanks first and infantry second.