PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Space Wolves for local tourney

lowdog
02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
The tournament's not for a couple months, but I need the time to assemble and paint, so I wanted to get some input now. I'm going to post a second list on a separate thread, but here's my special character list:

Logan Grimnar - 275
5 Wolf Guard - 390 Terminator Armor
-Arjac Rockfist
-1 w/ Powerfist and Heavy Flamer
-1 w/ Powerfist and Storm Bolter
-2 w/ 2 Wolf Claws

Land Raider Redeemer - 250 Multi-melta (Dedicated Transport for Wolf Guard)

{ 9 Grey Hunters - 155 Melta Gun, Mark of the Wulfen }
{ Wolf Guard - 43 Combi-Melta, Powerfist }
{ Rhino - 35 }
x 4 = 932

5 Long Fangs - 115 4 x Missile Launchers
x 3 - 245

10 Wolf Scouts - 175 Mark of the Wulfen, Meltagun
Wolf Priest - 120 Saga of the Hunter, Melta-bombs, Wolf-Tail talisman

Rune Priest - 110 Chooser of the Slain, Living Lightning, Storm Caller

Initial Ideas for Changes
- Drop the Chooser and Heavy Flamer for Extra Armor for the Land Raider
- Increase one of the Long Fangs to 6 men and give them all Heavy Bolters
- Give one of the Long Fangs squads at current size Heavy Bolters and then give Extra Armor to the Land Raider and a Combi-Melta to the other Powerfisting termy.

Fairly standard tactics, put the Priest with the Fangs and hang back shooting. Rhinos follow the Land Raider up, using it for cover. Wolf Scouts come in later to disrupt.

Overall there are 67 power armored bodies, and the 6 termies who are a scoring troop unit thanks to Logan (total of 5 scoring units).

BlindGunn
02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Not a fan of the Heavy Flamer in the Terminator Squad. If he's close enough to flame people, he's usually close enough to asault. With that squad, a good opponent will remove the closest models 1st to avoid your charge. If you're doing mixed Assault/Shooty Terminators, you'll always have this issue. While it probably won't affect your 1st turn charging out of the Land Raider, you'll be hard pressed to use it again. If you're looking for "opportunity" fire, I would just leave a Storm Bolter. Otherwise, redesign the squad so "Everyone shoots" with some good CC potential.

You're ging to be hated for all the Long Fangs (both this list and the ones on the other thread). A squad with Heavy Bolters is good for Hoards, but a single squad designated for that... Maybe better putting a heavy bolter into each squad - that way each squad will be able to split fire and do something against most anything. (Nothing says those 3 HBolters can't target the same unit from different squads. Add a blast template with each if required...)

Good Luck!

blackarmchair
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Two 5-man Wolf Scout Packs are better than one 10-man.

The best way to kit them out is 1x Meltagun and a wolf guard with Power Fist and Combi-Melta; if you feel like it/have the points you can give the squad meltabombs.

An additioanl 5 scouts don't really add much as they're not so hot in assault (4+ saves ftl). I wouldn't take the priest, and I wouldn't take the Mark of the Wulfen.

lowdog
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Okay, I'm definitely gonna drop the Heavy Flamer and Chooser for Extra Armor on the Land Raider.

After dropping the priest and the squad size on the scouts, what would you suggest I do with the points that frees up? There will be at least 150 points sitting there. I could take another rune priest, a suicide dread, some fenrisian wolves even?

Whoop!
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Hi Dog. How about two Razorbacks with twin linked LCs? or three Razorbacks stick with the HBolter's. that way you can have a movable shield wall in front of your long fangs, or just more distraction running up the field:)

I have had a lot of success sending a battle leader in'behind enemy lines'with Scout's. It's a lot of fun to play, and with 10 scouts backing I I've had surprising resiliency when playing in my opponents backyard. I like the priest for frontal assaults, but due to the high initiative and lower relative cost (125 paired Wolf claws, saga of the Hunter,MB)

but I've got to say the list looks pretty tight as it is. Where do you get your missile launchers? Forge world?

lowdog
02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I've been getting bits off of thewarstore.com and an ebay "store" called hoard o bitz.

Whoop!
02-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the hook up.

Zeitkraft
02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
You're running Grimnar... but your troops are Grey Hunters.

Drop Grimnar for a tooled out Wolf Lord on foot and use the extra points on fleshing out the Long Fang Squads.

Also, don't try putting the Wolf Priest with the scouts. They lose "Behind Enemy Lines" if he goes with them, taking away a LOT of their utility. Put him in the Land Raider and drop the saga to be spent elsewhere.

Whoop!
02-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Also, don't try putting the Wolf Priest with the scouts. They lose "Behind Enemy Lines" if he goes with them, taking away a LOT of their utility. Put him in the Land Raider and drop the saga to be spent elsewhere.

I think as long as the IC has Saga of the Hunter, and can therefore outflank, the behind enemy lines still works.

If not, and what you say is true, what about a WG squad leader? Can a scout unit with a WG squad leader still use "Behind Enemy Lines"? why or why not?

I was also planning on taking a similiar tactic to a local tourney, can anybody clarify?

Zeitkraft
02-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I think as long as the IC has Saga of the Hunter, and can therefore outflank, the behind enemy lines still works.

If not, and what you say is true, what about a WG squad leader? Can a scout unit with a WG squad leader still use "Behind Enemy Lines"? why or why not?

I was also planning on taking a similiar tactic to a local tourney, can anybody clarify?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1620228a_Space_Wolves_Version_1_1.pdf

Not to sound like a jerk, but you really should read the FAQ for your army.

It says that you can take a Wolf Guard and still use BEL because it counts as an "upgrade" to the squad. As per the rules in the BRB, taking an IC with Saga of the Hunter would allow him to Scout or Outflank, but would prevent the squad from using the BEL special rule.

Pretty cool though, you can take a Wolf Guard with some silly war gear and pop him in with the scout squad to come off of you opponent's back table edge.

Edit: Derp, of course WG in TDA can't join scouts. See, this is why you shouldn't post after a long night of drinking haha.

Whoop!
02-19-2011, 09:01 AM
A wolf guard in termi armor is not allowed to join a scout pack, it states it with the wolf guard stats.

about not reading the FAQ....

I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it.

Zeitkraft
02-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it.

Not failing, just oversight. We all make them sometimes :p hehe.

Anyway, I was talking with my friend about this list the other day, and he pointed out that it isn't all that far away from having a "Logan Bomb." It's an insanely fun unit that just wrecks face when it comes down. If you want to swing the points to do it, it would add quite a bit of force to the list.