PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Characters

Fellend
02-08-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm making some characters for a campaign and I'm having a incredibly hard time adjusting points and ... well balance them. They are all kind of overpowered (tau maybe not so much, but he's cheap) and the rules are very much RAI because it's just for me and my friends.

However, I'm hoping people would check them out, comment on balancing issues and most importantly, help me make an artillery officer for Imperial Guard. I can't really come up with anything that isn't just abusable to no end (like targeting your own units). Another Possible variant is some kind of Ogryn Boosting character.

Anyway, here we go:
Black Templar
Sylvas – HQ – 210p
WS 6 BS 5 S 4 T 4 W 3 I 5 A 3 LD10 Sv 3+/4++
Special Rules: …And they shall know no fear, Fearless, Independent Character, “Artful Onslaught”, and all Black Templar Specific Rules (that I can’t be bothered to write), If Sylvas is bought, you may not take a fighting company champion.

Equipment: Power Armour, Holy orb of Antioch, “Victory through Slaughter”, Iron Halo, Frag and Krak Grenades, Crusader seals

Artful Onslaught: If Sylvas joins a unit both he and the unit gains the Furious Charge USR.

“Victory through Slaughter” is a set of lightning claws with a long history. Sylvas has trained with them since becoming a full-fledged brother and his skills with them is unsurpassed, once he has committed to the assault, it is usually the end.
Any successful (unsaved) wound with these lightning claws will generate a new attack; these new attacks are not affected by any vows but my be used on any target that is in base contact with Sylvas

Chaos Undivided
Tor’Iazu – HQ – 235p
WS 6 BS 6 S 4 T 4 W 3 I 4 A 3 LD10 Sv 3+/4++

Special Rules: Eternal Warrior, Fearless, Independent Character, Deepstrike, Mark of Tzeentch, “Warpleap”, “Thousand Horrors”,”You are mine!”, “Without me you are nothing”

Equipment: Forceblade, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Power Armour,

“Warp leap” Tor’Iazu and his retinue may forfit their normal movement to make a warp leap. When using this skill in the movement phase, roll a d6, they may move up to their normal 6” movements plus the result on the die, ignoring terrain and other units just as they were jump infantry.

“Thousand Horrors” Tor’Iazu fights with the remnants of the Thousand sons assault units. You must buy 5-10 of these to accompany Tor’Iazu and he must be deployed with them. They have the exact same stats as a normal Thousand Son except they ignore slow and purposeful while warp leaping and come equipped with Inferno Bolt Pistols and close combat weapons. 27 points each ;)

“You are mine!” Any model killed by the instant death strike of Tor’Iazu’s force weapon is gives him enough energy to summon another Thousand Son assault marine, It’ll joins the squad immediately after combat resolution at nearest convenient place.

“Without me you are nothing!” If Tor’Iazu falls before his retinue, the retinue immediately starts behaving like a normal thousand son squad except they still carry Inferno Bolt Pistols and CC weapons

Tau
“Shadow Strike” 0-1 Fast attack 85
WS 2 BS 5 S 3 T 3 W 2 I 5 A 2 LD9 Sv 4+
Sniper Drones and controllers as per Tau codex bought separately.

Special Rules: Stealth, “From the Shadows”,

Equipment “Mark III Rail-rifle”

“From the Shadows”: Shadow Strike is too skilled to get caught in an assault, by the time the enemy has reached his position he has already relocated. Unfortunately, the drones and controllers never seem to notice that he has disappeared either.
When Shadow Strike gets assaulted. Remove him from play. Next Tau turn, deep strike him back onto the board following all normal deep strike rules except rolling for reserves. Shadow strike never generates a kill point.

“The Mark III Rail-rifle”: Currently being field tested by Shadow strike, its precision is such that he may select any hostile target in LOS ignoring other normal targeting restrictrictions, its shots are also highly unnerving forcing pinning tests to be taken with a -2 penalty.

Cheeseburger!
02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
You should make the imp officer benefit other units. For good ideas I read through all the characters on the macharian crusade campaign that bols did a while back.I think its under the downloads section. There is some cool stuff in there.

I NoSe
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
How about you make the officer do a Preliminary Bombardment. The rules are in the Cities of Death book. Also you could allow a re-roll of the scatter dice of barrage weapons as long as a model with a vox can draw a line of site to the target.

Fellend
02-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Preliminary bombardments feels kind of a like a one trick pony, once he's done that he's basically not that useful anymore.

The ideas I have so far (based on the character from the fluff) is either that he'll be allowed to give a order to the nearest tank ordering them to shoot despite friendlies being in the area (danger close my ***, this is the Imperial guard)
Or that as long as he's alive any basilisks will have only a d6 scatter. But both seems like to easy to abuse. (especially with the players fondess of said basilisks)