PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse formations: Voidraven and Razorwing aircraft

thecactusman17
02-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Apocalypse datasheet:

Razorwing Jetfighter Squadron
Unit: 1-3 Razorwing Jetfighters
Cost: 125 + models
Special Rules: Flyer, Interceptor, Impossible Maneuvers (See Warhammer 40,000: Apocalypse)
Statline: See Codex: Dark Eldar

Equipment and options: See Codex: Dark Eldar

One model in the unit must be upgraded to Squadron Leader at no additional cost
The Squadron Leader ignores Night Fight conditions. If the Squadron leader is alive, then all attacks by the unit against enemy flyers are twin-linked. Further, so long as the squadron leader is alive, each time the squadron enters the play area from reserves or disengagement it counts as having Eldar Holo fields for the duration of the next game turn.

Datasheet: Voidraven Bomber Wing
Cost: 100 + models
Unit Size: 1-3 models
Special Rules: Flyer, Eldar Titan Holo Fields, Impossible Maneuvers (See Warhammer 40,000: Apocalypse)

Equipment:
The Wing Commander may choose to replace his Void Mine with a Vortex Mine (uses vortex grenade stats) (150 pts)
The Wing Commander may purchase a Shadow Beam. If it hits, Void Lances fired at the same target ignore energy barriers, Power shields, Void shields, and Eldar Titan Holo Fields 50pts.

Each model may purchase up to four missiles from the following (in addiiton to options available IN c:de)

Monoscythe annihilator (counts as two missiles) (Apocalypse Barrage Template D6 shots) (25pts)
Necrotoxin biomeltdown (counts as two missiles) (Hellstorm Template) (50 pts)
Shatterfield Cryo-bomb (counts as two missiles) (Apocalyptic Blast) (pinning, all affected infantry take difficult terrain test during next movement) (75 pts)
Titan Hunter missile (Twin linked, Heavy 1, SD AP2 48" range) (100 pts)

One model must be upgraded to Wing Commander at no extra charge. If wing commander is alive, all shots fired at Super Heavy and Gargantuan Creature models are twin linked if the firing models are within 24" of the Wing Commander and part of his formation.

Concentrated Bombing Run: Make a Bombing Run with 2 or more formation models that passes over the same point on the table. Each model with a Void Mine drops their mine at that point. The attacks are resolved using the Apocalyptic Barrage Template.

Trying to determine how balanced these formations/datasheets are before I offer them to our GM. We are considering an apocalypse battle sometime over the next few months, something that we rarely do because we tend to dislike the absurd game lengths. Want to try and make this memorable for everyone...

DrLove42
02-08-2011, 03:36 AM
1) Fliers shouldn't need to stay in formation
2) You shouldn't be paying points for them to become fliers...the Stormraven and Valkyrie both got that for free in WD, even if they're not in a data sheet
3) 100 points for a 1 shot? Thats not even a blast? Excessivly overcosted

Personally i tihk Voidraven sheet good (cept the expensive missile thing).

Razorwing bad... your paying 100pts for them to have to stay together and get holofields...which are no longer worth anything because all fliers already get a 4+ cover save. Also you very rarely get nightfight in Apoc

thecactusman17
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
thanks for that input. Note the power of those 100pt missiles--they're meant to hit super heavies @ D strength.

DrLove42
02-09-2011, 03:38 AM
I know, but 100pts for a 1 shot weapon is pretty steep.

Because S D is built into the superheavies it hard to judge how many points it worth.

But closest "comparison" is a vortex grenade. You get an extra strat asset for every 250 points you're under your opponent...so a vortex grenade is approx 250 points.

Thats beyond S D though. Not only does it auto penetrate, completly remove lesser tanks and infantry but does D3 struc points of D6 gargant creature wounds ...and its a blast, that keeps moving and keeps killing

I'd say 50 points for a one shot, non blast S D weapon. 75 for a large blast. 100 for a 7" blast.

thecactusman17
02-09-2011, 02:23 PM
OK, here's a few changes then:

Apocalypse datasheet:

Razorwing Jetfighter Interceptor
Unit: 1 Model
Cost: 25 + models
Special Rules: Flyer, Interceptor, Impossible Maneuvers (See Warhammer 40,000: Apocalypse)

Equipment and options: See Codex: Dark Eldar

One Razprwing Interceptor may be upgraded to Squadron Leader at +50 points
The Squadron Leader ignores Night Fight conditions.

Fire on My Target!: If the Squadron Leader fires against an enemy skimmer or flyer, then all subsequent Eldar and Dark Eldar shots against that same target count as twin-linked for the duration of the shooting phase. This rule does not apply to any weapons using templates or blast weapons regardless of size.

Datasheet: Voidraven High-Altitude Bomber
Cost: 65 + models
Unit Size: 1 model
Special Rules: Flyer, Impossible Maneuvers (See Warhammer 40,000: Apocalypse)

Equipment:
The Wing Commander may choose to replace his Void Mine with a Vortex Mine (uses vortex grenade stats w/ Void Mine deployment rules) (150 pts)
The Wing Commander may purchase a Shadow Beam. If it hits, Void Lances fired at the same target this turn ignore energy barriers, Power shields, Void shields, and Eldar Titan Holo Fields 50pts.

Each model may purchase up to four missiles from the following:

Monoscythe, Necrotoxin, Shatterfield, or Implosion Missiles (See C:DE for stats and cost)
Monoscythe annihilator (counts as two missiles) (Apocalypse Barrage Template 2d3 shots, S6 AP5) (50pts)
Necrotoxin biomeltdown (Bomb) (counts as two missiles) (Hellstorm Template, Poison (2+) AP5, Pinning, Causes D3 wounds to Monstrous Creatures) (50 pts)
Shatterfield Cryo-bomb (bomb) (counts as two missiles) (Apocalyptic Blast) (S7 AP-, pinning, all affected take difficult terrain test during next movement) (75 pts)
Titan Hunter missile (Twin linked, Heavy 1, SD AP2 48" range) (50 pts)

One Dark Eldar Voirraven model may be upgraded to Wing Commander at +100 pts. If wing commander is alive, all shots fired by friendly Eldar or Dark Eldar flyers at Super Heavy and Gargantuan Creature models are twin linked if the firing models are within 24" of the Wing Commander. This does not apply to Vortex Mines.

Concentrated Bombing Run: Make a Bombing Run with 2 or more voidraven models that passes over the same point on the table. Each model with a Void Mine drops their mine at that point. The attacks are resolved using the Apocalyptic Barrage Template instead of the small blast template.

Here, I've decreased points in some places, increased them elsewhere, and clarified rules to make these models feel more like the glass cannons they are meant to be. They should do a lot of damage, but especially the Voidraven is going to be a high-priority target the moment it shows up and is going to really have to work to survive more than a turn.