PDA

View Full Version : General points question

Cowboy247
02-03-2011, 01:51 PM
A buddy of mine at work and I are going to start playing Warmachine. My question is about points. I read about playing a 15 point game or a 35 point game. When I see lists, those points far exceed the point limit for the game. So I'm really confused. Can somebody please explain this to me :)

plasticaddict
02-03-2011, 02:57 PM
You have to add in the "free" Jack points that you get from your Warcaster. Off the top of my head I run Magnus the Traitor, he gives me 6 points to spend on Jacks. We agree to play a 15 point game. I have the game size(15), plus my free points from my caster(6), to give me a total of 21 points to use. I may only spend Magnus's point on Jacks but the rest of my points can be spent on anything I choose.

The Defenestrator
02-03-2011, 03:38 PM
PP uses this mechanic as a method of balancing casters while still allowing some to be mechanically superior to others. After all, no one wants their very characterful, army-defining heroes to be even remotely similar in functionality.

If you guys are going to start playing, I can't recommend the battle boxes enough. They're all well balanced in play against each other (both warmachines and hordes!), they're a great bargain, and you'll know right away if the game is for you or not without massive investments.

Artein
02-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Also tier lists. Many of them gives you free units or lowers cost of 'jacks or something.

mazgier
02-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Also, be aware that if you're looking for WM lists in the net there may be still some Mk. I ones floating around. If you see a list of three digit point value it's probably a Mk. I one.