PDA

View Full Version : AC130 Apocalypse Datasheet

Shadoq
02-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Greetings BOLSers...
Friend asked me to come up with a datasheet for a 40K Apocalypse AC130.
So I came up with this:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq346/MerlinXVII/Spooky-Gunship2.jpg

What do y'all think?
Might need to zoom in....

DarkLink
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I like the idea (and the spooky name;)). The rules might need some tweaking. A 24" gun on a flyer (and this really should be a flyer) is a little short ranged. If it's just a skimmer, it's too expensive for how vulnerable it is, even with two structure points. I'd give it a "long barreled assault cannon" or something, and make it a flyer.

Ignoring cover seems appropriate as well.

Culven
02-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Why are you making somthing based on the Valkyrie airframe into a Super Heavy? Remember that the Valkyrie is more like the 40K version of a Hind Gunship. The smallest "Spooky" was a small cargo plane. Also, it would make more sense if it was a Super Heavy Flyer instead, maybe with some special rule to allow it to circle around a target point. The Armour is also a bit high for a Flyer. Even a Thunderhawk is only Armour 12.

EDIT: I just tried something similar with VDR, and I came up with this:

Name: Spooky
BS:3
Super Heavy Flyer (2 Structure Points)
Armour: F:11, S:11, R: 10
Weapons:
2 Assault Cannons (I think the 24" range is fine)
2 Autocannons
1 Battle Cannon

This comes to about 335 points. I would say that adding 15 points for a searchlight, extra armour, and a rule allowing it to use the Assault Cannons as Co-Axial weapons for the Battle Cannon (i.e. reroll its scatter if one of them hits) would be sufficient to make it somewhat balanced.

Mr.Pickelz
02-01-2011, 10:57 PM
i like what your plane looks like, however i'd switch the autocannons for the LR's Exterminator's (Heavy 4 twin-linked) and change the battle cannon to having a choice between the different shots, so it' has Nova/vanquisher/Battle cannon shots instead of just one. and switch the Assault cannon for a twinlinked punisher cannon... This pretty much makes the AC-130 gunship into a flying leman russ....

Shadoq
02-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Using the Valk frame as a base simply because that is what I any my buddy have.
Thought about making it a flyer but I wanted it to be more vulnerable because a real AC130 is slow and lumbering and is a big target.
Thought about cover ignoring too but I figured with the battle cannon and blast weapons it is pretty powerful already.

plasticaddict
02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
It really needs to be bigger than a Valkyrie and it needs to be a flyer with modified movement allowing it to travel in circles. I like the added +1 to the damage chart however the armor should be lower and give it either a +5 cover save to represent ECM or added distance when trying to hit it from the ground. To compare it to the real world Spectre gunships, they may not be fast and nimble but they do have the advantage of altitude and a long standoff distance from their target. I do like the idea though.

Shadoq
02-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Based on a lot of feedback, here is version 2:
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq346/MerlinXVII/Spooky-Gunship.jpg

Thoughts?

Tynskel
02-02-2011, 07:22 AM
the auto cannon should just be an auto cannon. I do not see any reason for it to be a blast weapon, nor do I see why it should be 4 shots. I would make it a coaxial autocannon for the battle cannon. At most, and exterminator cannon.

Also, I would get rid of all the movement restrictions---- it is a flyer.

lastly, you should mention that all of the weapons are mounted on one side.

plasticaddict
02-02-2011, 08:47 AM
There should be two auto cannons without a blast template, not a single weapon system. I don't see any reason to remove the resrictions on shooting at a flyer and the movement restrictions from the skimmer version don't make sense with the flyer rules. I believe that you should give it a modified movement profile that it can use intsead of the normal flyer rules, say cut the minimum movement distance in half? Let it choose what movement profile to use; if it moves normally for a flyer then all flyer rules apply, if it moves slower then you roll to hit it with normal BS not needing 6's. You seem to be trying to balance it out by making it really easy to destroy, it's a super heavy flyer they'er not hard to kill but they are hard to hit. And ditto on all weapons being mounted out one side.

Tynskel
02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
you could use the Harridan Flyer Rules, it is a flyer that moves a little slow.

heretic marine
02-13-2011, 10:48 PM
nice looks like something fun to use