PDA

View Full Version : Tyrannofex Conversion, Warbike Warboss Conversion

Brass Scorpion
02-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I finally got around to taking some pictures of the finished and fully painted Tyrannofex I built early last year. Here's a work in progress shot I posted a while back and a picture of the finished model. That is followed by a picture of my new Ork Warboss Warbike conversion. More info is available at the individual image postings in my Gallery at this link (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/user/13937-BrassScorpion.html).

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/2/3/80366_sm-Conversion%2C%20Greenstuff%2C%20Tyranids%2C%20Tyra nnofex%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000%2C%20Work%20In%20 Progress.jpg

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/2/1/180291-Conversion%2C%20Greenstuff%2C%20Monstrous%20Creatu re%2C%20Painting%2C%20Tyranids%2C%20Tyrannofex.jpg

And finally, I just finished this Warboss Warbiker conversion for my Ork army today. Hope to paint him soon. The most difficult part of this conversion was the part that is the least obvious, getting the Warboss model to sit on the bike.

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/2/1/180239-Bike%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Orks%2C%20Warbike%2C%20W arboss%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.jpg

isotope99
02-02-2011, 03:25 AM
Love the front of the warboss' bike

The tyrannofex still looks a carnifex with a big gun on the front to me.

Brass Scorpion
02-02-2011, 08:38 AM
The Tyrannofex was designed to look as close to the art work in the Codex Tyranids as possible. It is 50% wider than a normal Carnifex and about 10% longer. My Tyrannofex conversion was based on a Carnifex kit. Spare parts from other Carnifex kits were also used in the conversion process, as was plastic card, and Apoxy Sculpt. I started by sawing the Carnifex in half to make it much wider and bulkier. I also slightly extended the tail where it attaches to the thorax to make it longer. The chest plates covering the gap where the model was split in half are made from plastic card with Apoxie Sculpt putty sculpted over top of them. The third row of spines down the center of the model's back were made from plastic card and Apoxie Sculpt while the central part of the back plates on which they sit are made from Apoxy Sculpt on top of overlapping plastic card skeletal forms to help guide the shape. The main gun is made from plastic tubing deformed slightly to an elliptical shape with Apoxy Sculpt sculpted over top of it. The arms supporting the gun were extended with wire armatures and Apoxy Sculpt. Before gluing on all the limbs I was careful to be sure the pose fit nicely on the large oval Games Workshop base. Notice how it just barely makes it on there as I wanted my Tyrannofex to be large and imposing like the picture in the Codex.

I've had people tell me this turned out so well they'd like to buy it. This was a major conversion effort. It wasn't like, oh I don't know, just taking a Rat Ogre and sticking a different head on it and calling it a Wrack. :(

isotope99
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Sorry, wasn't looking closely enough.

and it's a grotesque, not a wrack :p

Mystery.Shadow
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
he Carnifex kit is/was awesome! It's a shame what the latest Codex did to them. :(

But the have become the Tyranid 'Standard' for making all sorts of cool Conversions!!

Nice work there.

Brass Scorpion
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
he Carnifex kit is/was awesome! It's a shame what the latest Codex did to them. :( But the have become the Tyranid 'Standard' for making all sorts of cool Conversions!! Nice work there.Thanks very much!

and it's a grotesque, not a wrackMy point, which I guess got through, was that I've never gone into someone else's hobby thread and knocked their work like that, whether or not I loved it or genuinely hated it. I normally never would have made such a comment like I did here, whether or not I was actually thinking it, but I'm a little tired of being on the receiving end of such poop when I never treat people like that myself.

Sorry, wasn't looking closely enough. If that was an actual apology, it's accepted.

Emerald Rose Widow
02-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Yknow, I have not been a big fan of the pic of the Tyrranofex in the nids codex, and thus am not a big fan of this model. I will say that I can definitely appreciate the work done, you did an excellent job on this whole thing. I mean it is just seamless, it really does look like this is all one piece. I have to say, pro job on this one, I really appreciate the craftsmanship on this.

Zero_Legion
02-05-2011, 05:24 PM
The Tyrannofex was designed to look as close to the art work in the Codex Tyranids as possible. It is 50% wider than a normal Carnifex and about 10% longer. My Tyrannofex conversion was based on a Carnifex kit. Spare parts from other Carnifex kits were also used in the conversion process, as was plastic card, and Apoxy Sculpt. I started by sawing the Carnifex in half to make it much wider and bulkier. I also slightly extended the tail where it attaches to the thorax to make it longer. The chest plates covering the gap where the model was split in half are made from plastic card with Apoxie Sculpt putty sculpted over top of them. The third row of spines down the center of the model's back were made from plastic card and Apoxie Sculpt while the central part of the back plates on which they sit are made from Apoxy Sculpt on top of overlapping plastic card skeletal forms to help guide the shape. The main gun is made from plastic tubing deformed slightly to an elliptical shape with Apoxy Sculpt sculpted over top of it. The arms supporting the gun were extended with wire armatures and Apoxy Sculpt. Before gluing on all the limbs I was careful to be sure the pose fit nicely on the large oval Games Workshop base. Notice how it just barely makes it on there as I wanted my Tyrannofex to be large and imposing like the picture in the Codex.

I've had people tell me this turned out so well they'd like to buy it. This was a major conversion effort. It wasn't like, oh I don't know, just taking a Rat Ogre and sticking a different head on it and calling it a Wrack. :(

The bike looks awesome. The Tyrannofex looks like a it was built from a kit, so mad props on the skill, but I have to agree with Isotope, although it's a very complicated and major conversion, it still looks like a carnifex with a big gun. Also, if you dont want feedback, why make a thread?

Lord Korven
02-06-2011, 10:32 AM
I like the bike a lot. Im a big fan of the Black Reach warboss so I thats the best part.
Not a big tyranids guy myself but a great conversion is always appreciated in my book.

Nice job. Lord Korven

L192837465
02-18-2011, 02:36 PM
That 'fex looks very... phallic. Which is hilarious.