PDA

View Full Version : Instant Mold, reusable press molding product

Brass Scorpion
01-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Instant Mold is a potentially terrific new product for press molding. It's reusable and has no curing time.

Make your own bits! Have you ever wanted to make an extra weapon or shoulder pad for your army, but just can't be bothered to go on ebay to go through all the hassle to get another one? Instant mold is a revolutionary products that allows you to:

* Duplicate any surface!

* Sets in minutes!

* Use again and again!

* endless applications!

There's a demo video and ordering information at this link:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/tools-and-misc/instant-mold.html

I think they meant to say "wipe off excess moisture" in the instructions, not "access moisture". Other than that, this is interesting.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/media/catalog/product/c/m/cmn9001_1.jpg

SotonShades
01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm still trying to work out how one would go about 'Carefully the master part from the mold'

Still, sounds like a pretty cool product. Doesn't seem to be availible in the UK though :(

DrLove42
01-28-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm also questioning the science cos water boils at 100 degrees....so how does one get it to be hotter than that?

novatomato
01-28-2011, 12:07 PM
well 170 degrees Fahrenheit is approximately 77 degrees Celsius, perhaps that is what they are suggesting?

Hyperion
01-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm also questioning the science cos water boils at 100 degrees....so how does one get it to be hotter than that?

You pressurise it. Of course, that's presumably 170 F or around 75 C

Brass Scorpion
01-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm also questioning the science cos water boils at 100 degrees....so how does one get it to be hotter than that?Ah, our friends in the UK must remember that this product is marketed in the US where Fahrenheit and the English system of measurements still rule the land. Forget Celsius and the metric system when looking at product descriptions from the US.

Talk of pressurizing it to get it above boiling point is not only off-topic, it's not applicable. Clearly, they are not selling a product that requires you risk blowing up your kitchen to use it. The temperature in the instructions is in Fahrenheit like nearly always in the US. Talk of switching to metrics and Celsius was big when I was a kid a long time ago and that dream died here in the US years ago when they just could not get the average American used to the idea of making the switch. 2-Liter bottles of soda is about as far as it got.

Lerra
01-28-2011, 12:19 PM
This seems useful but expensive for such a small amount of material.

Why not just use Super Sculpy? Sure it's not reusable, but it's very cheap, so that's not much of a concern.

Force21
01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Looks pretty cool...I like it.

I may get one.

Talk of switching to metrics and Celsius was big when I was a kid a long time ago and that dream died here in the US years ago when they just could not get the average American used to the idea of making the switch. 2-Liter bottles of soda is about as far as it got.

yep that is about far as its going to get too...

Brass Scorpion
01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
This seems useful but expensive for such a small amount of material. Why not just use Super Sculpy? Sure it's not reusable, but it's very cheap, so that's not much of a concern.It's reusable and you don't have to mess with baking it and you don't have to worry about mold release, etc. For $12.99 and all the convenience it provides, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

plawolf
01-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm still trying to work out how one would go about 'Carefully remove the master part from the mold'

Seems like they just missed off 'removed'. ;)

plawolf
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Talk of pressurizing it to get it above boiling point is not only off-topic, it's not applicable. Clearly, they are not selling a product that requires you risk blowing up your kitchen to use it. The temperature in the instructions is in Fahrenheit like nearly always in the US. Talk of switching to metrics and Celsius was big when I was a kid a long time ago and that dream died here in the US years ago when they just could not get the average American used to the idea of making the switch. 2-Liter bottles of soda is about as far as it got.

Well, just in case anyone does need to pressure boil water, you could do it pretty safely with any cheap pressure-cooker with no need to come up with a DIY solution that might draw the attention of the local Ordos and/or fire and medical responders when used. ;)

Defenestratus
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Just ordered a bit to make more blood angels storm shields from the Space Hulk set!

plawolf
01-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Just ordered a bit to make more blood angels storm shields from the Space Hulk set!

Does it deliver to the UK?

Also, please let us know how it works.

Cheers

Brass Scorpion
01-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Does it deliver to the UK? Also, please let us know how it works. Cheers If you're in the UK, you might want to look at this at a fraction of the price and in loads of colours:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Friendly-Plastic-White-White-/400180986385?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item5d2ca54211

And check this out too:
http://www.rarebird.ltd.uk/fp%20plain%20colours.html

rustbucket
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I've had really good results with making 2 part moulds with a US product called Alumilite from Allumilite.com. I would get the Quickset compound, it is very easy to use! You can buy a starter kit w/ 1lb of mould compund, 2 bottles of resin/activator, 8oz of silicoin mould release, mixing cups, clay, and stir sticks for $70. You can also buy individually or in greater amounts, so like 5lb of rubber for $120 - You can make one heck of a lot of moulds with 5lbs of rubber!! Also, they have tutorials on how to mix rubber and mixing resin. And it ships pretty quick. Check it out. Happy casting

MadCowCrazy
01-29-2011, 09:45 AM

The spelling should have been hints enough that the product was from the US with their Fahrenheit system...

/runs and hides

Ive ordered 2 packets of the stuff, will try it out once it arrives.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Now i like the look of this, and plan to buy some and see what i can make with it, actually i need a few inferno pistols for my Seraphin's. I watched the video and i like it, simple and reusable.

Its funny though, that some people accept that its ok to copy and make using this instant molds,instead of buying more GW miniatures and undercut GW, yet are ok with trashing others or companies for making custom parts that MAY be used on GW products.
I mean, me, personally i dont have a problem if it saves me money, but you can't one day decide that Chapterhouse is wrong for making parts, or other such companies, or even not buying the dvd to Ultramaries, and downloading it, and then say "oh im going to make my own parts using this stuff and stuff GW". It's Hypocritical.

You know, some would say your stealing GW profits, and i know one person on this post who claims he/she never stole anything ever.
But, hey, don't stop on my opinions, i plan to use this instant mold, copy parts, and enjoy doing it. I advise others to do the same, its customizing and fun.
Enjoy.

gcsmith
01-29-2011, 10:11 AM
theres a difference between saving money and making money,
and this is cool, might try getting some when I start scuplting bits and pieces for my armies,

DarkLink
01-29-2011, 10:29 AM
The spelling should have been hints enough that the product was from the US with their Fahrenheit system...

I'll refer to xkcd for this one: http://www.xkcd.com/850/.

Tynskel
01-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Ah, our friends in the UK must remember that this product is marketed in the US where Fahrenheit and the English system of measurements still rule the land. Forget Celsius and the metric system when looking at product descriptions from the US.

you could always use a pressure cooker.

Tynskel
01-29-2011, 10:42 AM
by the way, it wasn't convincing americans, it was the USGS-- you would have to re-engineer all the maps and roads, signage, ect. It was going to be a VERY expensive project, when, instead, you could just use conversion factors.

plawolf
01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
If you're in the UK, you might want to look at this at a fraction of the price and in loads of colours:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Friendly-Plastic-White-White-/400180986385?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item5d2ca54211

And check this out too:
http://www.rarebird.ltd.uk/fp%20plain%20colours.html

Interesting, cheers.

DarkLink
01-29-2011, 02:47 PM
by the way, it wasn't convincing americans, it was the USGS-- you would have to re-engineer all the maps and roads, signage, ect. It was going to be a VERY expensive project, when, instead, you could just use conversion factors.

Yeah, in our engineering classes we teach both metric and imperial units. Metric is so much easier to work with. Converting all of America's business and infrastructure stuff over to metric is just absurdly difficult, however, so any attempts to drop imperial units completely never gets any headway. We have more important things to worry about, really.

chapterhousestudios
01-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I bought 28 ounces of it for $40 or so here:
http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-430-friendly-plastic-pellets.html

Seemed a heck of allot cheaper then the CMON bars.

They also sell it in 4.4 oz jars for $14.00.

I bet you can go to the local hobby lobby or Michaels and find it just as cheap.

MadCowCrazy
01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Now i like the look of this, and plan to buy some and see what i can make with it, actually i need a few inferno pistols for my Seraphin's. I watched the video and i like it, simple and reusable.

Its funny though, that some people accept that its ok to copy and make using this instant molds,instead of buying more GW miniatures and undercut GW, yet are ok with trashing others or companies for making custom parts that MAY be used on GW products.
I mean, me, personally i dont have a problem if it saves me money, but you can't one day decide that Chapterhouse is wrong for making parts, or other such companies, or even not buying the dvd to Ultramaries, and downloading it, and then say "oh im going to make my own parts using this stuff and stuff GW". It's Hypocritical.

You know, some would say your stealing GW profits, and i know one person on this post who claims he/she never stole anything ever.
But, hey, don't stop on my opinions, i plan to use this instant mold, copy parts, and enjoy doing it. I advise others to do the same, its customizing and fun.
Enjoy.

I can sum up my thoughts on the matter with this : I love the game but hate the company.
I dont even want to start talking about the way GW runs their business and how unfair they are with their conversion rates.
One could say I'm stealing GW profits by ordering all my GW products from UK webstores with discounts rather than buy from GW Finland and paying 25% more per item compared to the UK prices.
The day GW starts selling bits again I might consider buying them but until then I'm willing to try out any new product that helps me copy a part from a plastic kit.

One of my goals is to create a complete Seraphim unit using the Chaos Possessed wings, I'm just not ready to buy 5-10 boxes of Possessed Marines just for the 2 parts per box I need though. Bits sellers often ask for 2-3£ per wing and that is as much as a single model in most cases, then again 99.99% of all bits sellers are always 99.99% out of stock 99.99% of the time.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-29-2011, 10:09 PM
On that i agree with you, i don't plan to buy eight Sisters of Battle Cannoness miniatures to arm four Seraphin with twin-linked Inferno pistols.
Actually i agree, i wish GW would start making bits, would be great i can see that there sales would also go up, but thats for another thread to argue that i think.

Im planning to buy some, i think i can find many things to mold with this stuff, actually just bought of ebay from a person a mould to make Fluer de Li's, got me two different sizes.

5/8" w X 3/4" and 1-1/4" w X 1-1/2".

Going to adorn some tanks and my conversion of the Fortress of Redemption.

HsojVvad
01-30-2011, 03:22 PM
How long will it take GW to sue these guys?

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Well as sonn as they troll over their legal team, terms and.or make up something.
Legally, i guess they can't, as they are not producing anything, copying or naming any products to corrospond with GW products.

They are just showing how to make a mold, and how simple it is to copy parts from anything. But given GW who knows.

DarkLink
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
The product here isn't called "Instant Mold for Warhammer 40k". GW sued Chapterhouse over trademark infringement, not because they make models. Trademarks are a use/defend it or lose it deal, so GW pretty much had to sue Chapterhouse if it wanted to retain any control over 40k in the long run.

Brass Scorpion
01-30-2011, 11:15 PM
The product here isn't called "Instant Mold for Warhammer 40k". GW sued Chapterhouse over trademark infringement, not because they make models. Trademarks are a use/defend it or lose it deal, so GW pretty much had to sue Chapterhouse if it wanted to retain any control over 40k in the long run. Thank you for providing some much needed sanity. Not only is talk of GW suing someone over a malleable plastic molding product ridiculous, it's off-topic. Perhaps we can now go back to discussing the product at hand, places to find it, etc. that are of use to hobbyists interested in this?

Here's something similar that's been out there for years at craft stores. Check this out:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/14632912/aleenes-fantastic-plastic-modeling-and

Fantastic Plastic pellets melt in hot water and can then be molded, modeled like clay, shaped, and so much more.

This plastic is very easy to handle, too. Just soften it in a frying pan (or electric skillet) filled with water heated to not quite boiling. The plastic pellets will stick together as they soften.

Then use a fork, spoon, or other favorite utensil to lift the "melted pile" of plastic from the pan/skillet, and dab the water off with a scrap of fabric. The plastic does not hold a lot of heat -- it will be warm and pliable when removed from the water, but not too warm to handle "bare-handed"!

Now the fun really begins! You can mix colors -- blending them, marbelizing them, or go for a more "inlaid" look. You can also mold, model like clay, shape freehand....the possibilities are limited only by your imagination! And if it cools off too fast, just put it back in the hot water and re-soften it.

Making jewelry? Just press the findings into the warm plastic and let them harden into place. When your project is completed, use a hair dryer to give the plastic a shiny finish -- no need for sealant.

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_570xN.36059345.jpg

MarneusCalgar
01-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Seems really interesting!!!

Hope to try it

rustbucket
01-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Those Fantasitc Pellets seem pretty promising. May have to give them a whirl and see how they work out. Thanks for the info Brass Scorpion!

Defenestratus
02-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. Did a mold of the Blood Angel's storm shield which is now got greenstuff sitting in it. The detail looked good so far. I'll know more when i pull it out of the mold. So far promising but I'm not quite sure how a mold will work where you need a non-flat surface.

For example, a meltagun. Not sure how you'd be able to get that molded unless you did it in two halves and then put the pieces together.

Brass Scorpion
02-03-2011, 08:28 AM
For example, a meltagun. Not sure how you'd be able to get that molded unless you did it in two halves and then put the pieces together.Watch the demo video on the Instant Mold web page, they demonstrate that very method.

Defenestratus
02-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Watch the demo video on the Instant Mold web page, they demonstrate that very method.

Thanks, I'll do that. In the meantime, here's the first stormshield I popped out. Will need some flash removal. Also on the left, looks like I didn't get enough material into the mold.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W-OLykJh4lc/TUr-T-RW90I/AAAAAAAANvM/YhqgQu_N_Oc/s800/2011-02-03_14-12-30_325.jpg

cheesyfluff
02-05-2011, 06:05 AM
I was thinking of using this for my pre heresy Marines and my Blood Ravens. The general plan is to buy a few of the shoulder pads from Chaperhouse along with the pre heresy rhino kit and recast them myself to add to all the other models in the army. I am not quite sure where it leaves me on the moral ground of recasting and chapterhouse vs GW ect but it will leave me a few £'s more for more plastic crack!

MadCowCrazy
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
The first part of my review on this stuff. Ran out of battery for my camera so left what I had unedited since it was just under 15min.

Will make a more complete review tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGCgaqLWr7A

gwensdad
02-10-2011, 05:45 PM
The first part of my review on this stuff. Ran out of battery for my camera so left what I had unedited since it was just under 15min.

Will make a more complete review tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGCgaqLWr7A

Waiting patiently for the conclusion...
(but yeah, what was up with the audio-I had everything set to max and the only way I could tell what you were saying was to put on the ol' earphones)

MadCowCrazy
02-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Sorry about the audio, I found no way to increase it so that's what you get. I do accept donations for a new camcorder though. Just pm and I will send you the paypal details :D

MadCowCrazy
02-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Part 2 of my review of this stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBrPb3AktM

Defenestratus
02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I just made a great mold of my extra Revenant face.

Two part molds are very tricky to get right. I've tried three times now to mold the wraithlord sword and so far, no dice.

MadCowCrazy
02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I've actually had very little trouble with 2 part molds, I made several today without problems.
The way I do it is similar to the way in their video but I just cut open the side you press down to complete the 2 sides.
So what you end up with is basically a hot dog bun, you stick the greenstuff inside and press hard on the top so it presses out any excess and just wait. With this technique I haven't faild a single cast yet, though I have only made 5 casts using this technique.

The best one would be the one I describe in my video about using Legos, maybe I should make a video explaining it further.

Defenestratus
02-12-2011, 08:40 AM
I've tried the "hot dog bun" method and it hasn't helped unfortunately. I also managed to get blue modelling clay stuck in my moulding material so now its not translucent.

One thing I've done is carve "key notches" in the mold after it hardens so that I can line up the mold when the material is it.

Meanwhile, I still get pretty damn good results from the one part molds:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_W-OLykJh4lc/TVabMK9JY2I/AAAAAAAAN2A/eMUudRRFmlc/s800/2011-02-12_09-36-44_680.jpg

dont13link
02-12-2011, 11:36 PM
I hate to say this, but I think this may simply be the repurposing of an everyday product.

It's obviously wax of some sort, and from looking at the consistancy, it almost looks like the really stiff wax they make earplugs out of, or any other type of hard wax.

MadCowCrazy
02-13-2011, 03:23 AM
I hate to say this, but I think this may simply be the repurposing of an everyday product.

It's obviously wax of some sort, and from looking at the consistancy, it almost looks like the really stiff wax they make earplugs out of, or any other type of hard wax.

And your point is?
I did not know a product like this existed, I bought some and it works exactly like advertised and I have had great success with it. So what's the problem?

Noone ever told me I could take earplug wax and use it as a mold making material before, is the earplug wax also non stick like this stuff is? Does it capture details in the same way this stuff does? I have cast my own fingerprint with this stuff, can you do that with earplug wax?
If the answer is yes to all of these questions then why the hell haven't we been informed of this before InstantMold came out?!

Renegade
02-13-2011, 05:29 AM
How much of that stuff would I need to replicate a Malcador... just out of curiosity.

TheCreator
02-13-2011, 06:11 AM
How much of that stuff would I need to replicate a Malcador... just out of curiosity.
One pack could get you trough if you do as some sort of jigsaw puzzle of greenstuff as combining the whole pack would not cover the whole entire side. But it will have tons of bubbles and will deform as InstantMold is really flexible! It's really only good for surface details.

It probably is, but it's not wax. I think its silicone or that "Friendly Plastic" made to reform every time with heat.
Is there a chemist in here?

Oh, and InstantMold is BOUNCY!

Defenestratus
02-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Still can't get a decent two part mold of the wraithsword.

I've tried close to 10 times and gone though gobs of greenstuff.

I'm going to go ahead and box it with a two part mold.

BuFFo
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
This stuff CAN'T be friendly plastic.

After reading this thread, I went ahead and bought friendly plastic. That stuff is god awful. You can't use it on plastic models as it sticks to the model, ruining it. You cannot make two part molds as the plastic sticks to itself, sealing the item inside like a cocoon.

I went ahead and ordered this Instant Mold stuff. Hopefully it lives up to its name and nothing sticks to it.

Defenestratus
02-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Hopefully it lives up to its name and nothing sticks to it.

Modelling clay (like what you would use to make a two part mold in a molding box) sticks to it and takes forever to get off.

dont13link
02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
And your point is?
Noone ever told me I could take earplug wax and use it as a mold making material before, is the earplug wax also non stick like this stuff is? Does it capture details in the same way this stuff does? I have cast my own fingerprint with this stuff, can you do that with earplug wax?
If the answer is yes to all of these questions then why the hell haven't we been informed of this before InstantMold came out?!

Mostly because no one ever thought of it.

Parafin wax is used in motor oil because of it's non stick properties.

Thermo-reactive wax is used in thermostats in cars due to it's ability to mold to imperfections in steel casting.

Soft candle wax is used to make jewelery setting molds.

As for wax being able to get the detail of fingerprints, pour some wax out of a candle, wait for it to cool a bit, and press your finger in it.

Shall I continue?

The reason no one has heard about using earplug wax for casting is probably because no one thought about it. I've got a couple friends that are chemists, physicists, and just all around sciencey, and they all seem to agree with me. I'm actually going to head to Walmart to get some ear plugs later today to try it.

DarkLink
02-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Who cares if it's wax-based or not.

Zero_Legion
02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
The reason no one has heard about using earplug wax for casting is probably because no one thought about it. I've got a couple friends that are chemists, physicists, and just all around sciencey, and they all seem to agree with me. I'm actually going to head to Walmart to get some ear plugs later today to try it.

Well, is it the same stuff? I use Smooth-on stuff, but its kinda inefficent for simpler or one/two off runs.

Lemt
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Mostly because no one ever thought of it.

Parafin wax is used in motor oil because of it's non stick properties.

Thermo-reactive wax is used in thermostats in cars due to it's ability to mold to imperfections in steel casting.

Soft candle wax is used to make jewelery setting molds.

As for wax being able to get the detail of fingerprints, pour some wax out of a candle, wait for it to cool a bit, and press your finger in it.

Shall I continue?

Pleas do, for science! And if you'd report your findings that would be great too. =D