PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knight Land Raider...need help.

Force21
01-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Hello all,

Last X-mas I got my hands on a nice Grey Knight Land Raider Redeemer...try to say that x5 fast....

I have a good idea for the exterior.

anyway I just started to put it together & I wanted to paint the interior nice like...

but I never painted a vehicles insides before.... I'm looking at you IG...

anyway any help on the paint it will be greatly appreciated.

I will put some pics up if I can soon...

SotonShades
01-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Best thing you can do is paint the interior before you assemble the tank. This will hel you get to all the detail. If you have all ready assembled the inner hull of the LR, I would probably advise you avoid painting the interior detail. trying to hold the brush at the very end, painting through doors and where you cant always get a good eye on the detail will not produce your best work. In fact, I'd bet it would resemble a lot of your earliest models...

If you haven't started building, there are a few things to remember. Where is the detail going to be view from? Are you just looking at the detail through the open doors/hatches, or are you going to be able to remove the top or side of the hull so people can see the full glory of your work? If it is the former, you really don't have to put too much effort in to the bits people cant see (basic colour is usually ok, possibly a shade too). I'd also advise doing the highlights towards said door(s). It's often tempting to highlight them towards some internal lighting source but its often the case that when looking at the model its often too dark inside to really get the benefit of this. Alternatively, the LR kits are big enough that you can fit a few LEDs and a battery back in the engine housing (a project I'm currently working on myself) so you could avoid this problem altogether it you are half decent with circuitry :P If you are making the hull opennable so people cansee your lovely interior (I'm thinking some scatter cushions and maybe a drinks bar...) this is much less of an issue and it is better to highlight towards the internal lighting sources (and possibly the doors as well!) as it will give a better effect overall.

I tend to go with fairly basic block colours for my vehicle interiors (usually Deneb Stone for Spacemarine vehicles and Knarloc Green fo IG kits... looks just like the undercoat used on most military vehicles) and pick out key details. The insides are much less likely to be battle damaged than the outside, so chips and scraped off paint are more likely to be restricted to where the crew/passangers are walking, anywhere they are likely to brush up/ lean against. Again, if you are planning on just looking through the doors, avoid getting the paintscheme too dark. You just won't be able to see it, and that'd be a shame.

Finally, some LR specific advice... the engine block is the main detail of the interior and the easiest thing to see. In my LRs I've spent nearly as long on that as the rest of the interior. It really is so prominent it is worth the extra effort (think of it like a Captain in a Command squad). Chances are you'll be assembling the LR with the assault ramp at the front AND another door (with the sliding blast doors and ramp) in one of the four hull appatures. Think about where you have places this extra door when painting, and what detail is going to be opposite it (usually the command centre or tool cupboard). It is usually worth spending a little extra time on this bit as well (and of course there will be chips and worn paint around both doors!)

Hope that's all helpful. If you'd like I can try and get some pictures up of some of the vehicle interiers I've done for some examples of what I'm talking about.

Shades

Force21
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Cool!

thanks...

but sadly I need to glue it closed & I don't have any LED's...

I am thinking about maybe a codex gray interior....

he engine block is the main detail of the interior and the easiest thing to see. In my LRs I've spent nearly as long on that as the rest of the interior. It really is so prominent it is worth the extra effort

Thats for sure....

I am think about a bronze with just a bt of bolt gun metal showing.... not quite sure yet...

*edit*

btw... Grey Knights are supposed to be like silver like...? Like Mithirl Silver right?

my friends says no but I always thought it was ...

SotonShades
01-28-2011, 02:52 PM
The deamonhunters codex (which appear to have gone missing in this mess i call a flat) suggested using boltgun metal highligted with mithril silver. that said i've seen some great schemes in everything from dark/near black through to almost pure white, so go with what you feel is right

MasterSlowPoke
01-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Cool!

thanks...

but sadly I need to glue it closed & I don't have any LED's...

If you're gluing it closed, why are you wasting time painting the inside?

Force21
01-28-2011, 11:21 PM
oh... I am not going to glue the doors closed

& I started on the codex gray....it needs probably two or maybe 3 coats...

anyway if I can get pic I will put is up.

Force21
02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Alright..

I am going to leave the floor boltgun metal... I got the main coat on & going to paint the seats black..& need to cover up some areas that did not get paint on...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5096/5411459145_3f62105e6c.jpg

& here is a close up on the engine..not 100% done yet... the purity seals are not done yet...& the Adeptus Mechanicus symbol probably needs some touch up...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5412071080_044e3e90c8.jpg