PDA

View Full Version : Scale size.....I hear it matters....

Rafe_131
01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew what scale rating for other hobby models, (i.e. trains, military models, etc.) fits 40k models best? Is it H, O, OH, HO...Q? I have seen a ton of stuff lately that would be awesome for scenery on a game table as well as some stuff that would look great on model bases. But, since it's packaged I can't see the actual size.I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

MaltonNecromancer
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Most train scales don't really work. 40K is about 1/65 ish, which is essentially non-existent as a "proper" model scale, somewhat bizarrely. 1/50 works well (or so I heard). I've used 1/32 scale tanks and especially tank kit / bags very successfully.

Gotthammer
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Scale_model_scales

Basically HO is 1:87, and is often used for 1:72nd scale modelling as they are very similar when manufactured and generally unsuitable for 40k.
O is 1:43rd, so too big, though with 40k you could use some more generic buildings and structures so long as they don't have too many man-sized doors or windows.

Z scale is 1:280ish and works great for Epic, which is nominally 1:300th.

As Malton said, due to 40k's exagerrated proportions many 1:35th vehicles and accessories work very well. I've got some Tamia tank traps and sand bags, and they look fine.

DadExtraordinaire
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew what scale rating for other hobby models, (i.e. trains, military models, etc.) fits 40k models best? Is it H, O, OH, HO...Q? I have seen a ton of stuff lately that would be awesome for scenery on a game table as well as some stuff that would look great on model bases. But, since it's packaged I can't see the actual size.I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Hi Rafe,

W40K is considered "28mm". 28mm is considered 1/56th scale (see Historical WW2 manufacturers) - the guardsmen in W40K is a standard human and is 28mm (from eye to foot) - Space Marines are slightly larger and therefore will require slightly larger vehicles.

I wouldn't get too hung up about scales - this is not historical gaming where scales play a large part in the gaming.

If you want a train for W40K you are looking at S scale or larger.

I also wargame pulp fiction and the back of beyond in 28mm and I am tempted to use 00 / H0 for trains just through the sheer choice and impact to wallet compared to the ludicrously high prices for 0, S and G gauges....

For W40K I'm scratchbuilding a train (similar to the one in Apoc) plus wagons as I can't justify hacking a train costing around 450. upwards!

Rafe_131
01-27-2011, 02:09 PM
So, 1/50th to 1/35th is the ballpark i'm looking for....Cool. Thanks guys.

MaltonNecromancer
01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
I've got some Tamia tank traps and sand bags, and they look fine

Ah Tamiya. The most beautifully detailed kits you ever did see. Amazing quality stuff.

Dorsai
01-30-2011, 10:41 AM
You want to try and find S scale railroad items. It was a very short live scale, but is almost exact for 40k. You might be able to find some at local model train swap meets. I haven't had any luck yet, but people are always trying to clear out grandpa's old junk.

Da Gargoyle
01-30-2011, 03:38 PM
In Oz I we have 1/48 scale from Revell and Tamiya, mostly WW2 models. These tend to fit in nicely but I have always used vehicles for Orks. I converted a semovente SPG into an Ork battle wagon. The back was just right to fit a tray for troops transport. I used 40k oil drums as bolt on side sponsons for more twin linked big shootas.

I found a wider range in 1/35 which is OK for Orks as they fit in over sized vehicles. But now I game Eldar so I stick within the models provided. Though I do like that hornet model in forge world.