PDA

View Full Version : Sisters of Battle advice

Lordgimpet
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Ok I have just aquired a large witchunter force, and been looking through the dex to build a list
now i dont intend on using it in tournaments. but before i submit a list here for opinons. I'm after players thoughts on units to use units to over look etc as well as any sites, blogs, threads i can read for more info

and tactics would be nice too

I understand the dex is old etc, and I prefer pure sisters over Inquisition but just not sure where to begin
any advice please.

JMichael
01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
I love my Sisters and just recently started using them again (they'd been on break since 2nd edition).

Librarium-Online has a dedicated Witch Hunters forum, which also includes an Army List sub-forum.

Check it out:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/witch-hunters/

Atrocity
01-26-2011, 06:37 PM
The only thing I know about sisters is that Exorsists are awesome. >_>

thecactusman17
01-26-2011, 10:50 PM
There are two good options for Sisters: Fully Mechanized, or Fully Faithed

Fully mech'd is exactly what it sounds like. Lots of rhinos, Immolators, and Exorcists delivering as much S8 AP1 and Heavy Flamers to the enemy as possible. They aren't as points-efficient as some of the new Imperium books, but they can still put a LOT of hurt on players.

Fully Faithed is typically a large infantry force. This is easier to get away with than some other armies because you get 3+ saves on everyone, that can be turned to 3++ saves on command. You are using the rules to get maximum faith points, which are then expended on AP1 heavy bolters teams (Heavy Bolters are a mean, mean option in this list) or invulnerable saves (Seraphim are great at this because you can stop charging units in their tracks, then jump back out to open up with your gunline).

As for tournaments: Witch Hunters will still do better than many other 3rd/4th edition books. Their playstyle is a perfect fit for 5th edition and many of their gear options still work as designed.

Silver Drakes Legion
01-27-2011, 03:21 AM
Depends on how you want to play either have flexible units with melta gun and heavy flamer the book of st lucius will be on anyone that can take it making all units stubborn. Another way is to just have flamer, heavy flamer, and combi flamer (or brazier) the other squads with dual melta guns with the BoSL.

Exorcists are mandatory making their units required to go to you rather then hiding because you will take out tanks shooting these.

Seraphim units need to be around seven to get the faith points to pass and gives you a good number to fight with. The leader will need a eviscerator which is awesome since it's a close combat melta...also since you have hit and run without a leadership test (old codex) making you always killing things unless you bring the canoness. Either type will require a eviscerator whether inferno or flamer pistols.

Rhino lists are popular bc the toughness 3 really shows when trying to footslog.
Palantines are horrible never use for the 10 points less. The canoness is so much better.

Everything else is more your opinion on what you think works especially the canoness equipment.

Lordgimpet
01-27-2011, 05:31 AM
thanks for the tips so far :)

DarkLink
01-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Exorcists are the Sister's only long range AT. Take 3, always. Heavy bolters may be good, but Sisters are designed to destroy infantry. The heavy bolters aren't needed the way Exorcists usually are. You can spam bolters and flamers like no one else.

somerandomdude
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM
If you're going pure Sisters, that's certainly true. However, (and this is assuming the OP is willing to do this) don't forget about Imperial Guard platoons. Being able to take a large troop to sit back, plus HWTs with things like Autocannons, can do wonders to increase your suppression fire and give you the chance to close with your meltas, while those Heavy spots are used to include more Immolators.

Daemonette666
01-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Immolators can be used as a dedicated transport for Celestines, Dominions, and Retributors. which are easily organised into squads of 6 models.

Exorcists are great, D6 Strength 8 AP3 shots and the tank is the only one in the sisters army to get an AV better than 11.

Although expensive at 20 points each, and a once a turn ability only, the Imagifers are an option to increase or even guarantee the effectiveness of your faith tests.

Beware of the short range of most of the sisters weapons. Some units like the Eldar Avatar are immune to fire and melta weapons, and monoliths are impervious to most of the damage a sisters army can deal out, as they can only glance it at best.

Not many opponents will let you take allies since the PDF codex came out after they removed the book from the shelves. Even then you could not take the heavy weapons whcih are the only reason to take imperial guard.

A unit not used much by many sisters players is the Penitent Engine. Mainly because it has a pair of flamers - one in each arm that can combine to make a heavy flamer, and it is an open topped walker. It does have one saving grace that make it worth while tanking in a game. You can get a squad of 3 of them, and they have 2 Dreadnought close combat weapons each. If you can get these into close combat with a Landraider or a monolith, then that is between 2 and 6 Str 10 hits in close combat. The problem is trying to get them near the big A** tank and if you do, the tactic will not work again as you stride towards the opponents next big tank.

Hopefully the rumoured new codex which has been delayed too many times because of either faults with making the new platics models, other codexes were getting popular (Dark Eldar) and GW wanted them promoted a bit more, or they wanted to bring forwardf the release of another old codex that was less popular (Daemon Hunters), and had really poor history of figure sales.

I really hope they get sisters, Tau, Necrons and Chaos codexes out fairly quickly before the end of 2012. Oh and Eldar as well (I Hates dem Eldar, alsmost as much as I hate Ork Armies)

somerandomdude
01-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Not many opponents will let you take allies since the PDF codex came out after they removed the book from the shelves. Even then you could not take the heavy weapons whcih are the only reason to take imperial guard.

If the OP doesn't have the actual codex, then he'll have a hard time convincing his opponents he can use inducted guard, and would have a hard time putting the list together in the first place. There is no reason, however, for an opponent to deny him the opportunity to include inducted guard in his Witch Hunter army if he has the original codex.

I also don't understand how you get that you can't include HWTs. In the old codex this was true, because HWTs were a Heavy Support choice. But now, they fall under the "Infantry Platoon" option, which CAN take a number of HWTs.

And a little tip to the OP if indeed you do run into Monoliths - ignore them. You won't be able to do significant damage to warrant the amount of firepower you'd have to devote to it.

DarkLink
01-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh, and Seraphim are f@#$ing amazing. Hide them behind Rhinos or deepstrike them in, either way they wreak so much havoc they can routinely win you the game. Take ~8 with a Veteran and the 2 special weapons and maybe a combi-weapon.

Lordgimpet
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
awsome advise. oh is taking Immolators with blessed heavy bolters worth considering as due to the amount of cover save in 5th, thing like parthfinders and ork bigmeks etc should be easy pickings yeah?.

as i was looking at dominion squads with immolators but given how vague the dex is written i wasnt sure that they were dedicated transports or i had to use HS slot each time i wanted one. I will be using seraphim with a VSS thats for sure.

thecactusman17
01-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Immolators with Twin Heavy Flamers are an amazing option, and frankly they will be better against the targets you just specified than a lone tank throwing a measly 3 S5 AP4 rounds, even if they do ignore cover. Load up the cargo with meltaguns or flamers and plow into that target after a turn in smoke cover. Remember, you can shoot after declaring a tank shock--Push two of these things into an enemy unit, then dump twin linked flamers onto them. Add holy prometheum and Laud Hailers to really hammer home the multiple leadership checks as you do so.

doom-kitten
02-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Running and Immolator with TwL Heavy bolters is an excellent way to flush out SM scout, pathfinders, rangers the whole works just remember your blessed ammunition however expect alot of return fire and Armour 11 can be a serious detriment. If doing this I suggest taking it a a transport for a Retributors squad and just deploy the squad outside the vehicle, and the Exorcist rule but it's **** against orks or nids except the big stompy death ones, they just ignore it and charge amasse. I run two with a Retributor unit of Heavy bolter to deal with mass infantry at range sometimes it's not smart to face a horde army hoping your flamers are enough they will kill a bunch but with the ork mob rule it's either wipe the ork squad of take it on the chin next turn when it charges. The Retributors give me a way of finishing units I've already hit with the fire, never spam flamers i did this once and by the emperor it sucked depending on the Exorcist to kill tanks is bad Land Raiders laugh it off, I suggest a meltagun with every squad. And Seraphim are my sweethearts faith them up with Divine Guidance and +2 to Int and they make a mess outta anything they charge striking at Int 6.

Exterminatus
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
MMmm Sisters of Battle.. i love mine. HQ's always take a Canonnes and load them out to the brim, thier still cheap, and being able to get a 2/2 save is just awsome. And yes Exorcist are the awsomesauce of the heavy slots, but a unit of Penitent engines can also cause some serious damage, especially to those damn Monoliths. Fast attack units im torn, Sera's are really nice, have the old hit and run rule, so they dont have to roll to leave combat, they just do. Dominions with either 4 flamers or 4 meltas mounted in a Immolater is swell to. I personally like my troops in Repressors not rhinos, more firing ports and weapon options. Celestians are very nice "holy hatered" hits all models on a 3+ except MC's and IC's.

"To the righteous we bring hope. To the tainted we bring fire."

- Castellan Garran Crowe