PDA

View Full Version : Hit & Run

Smurfs
01-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Got another question for you people. If you loose combat, can you still use the hit and run ability?

Archon Charybdis
01-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Disengaging via Hit and Run is done before combat resolution is figured, so if you've already rolled morale checks it's too late to use HnR. But you may always disengage, provided you pass the Initiative test.

Smurfs
01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Ok thanks.

Culven
01-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Disengaging via Hit and Run is done before combat resolution is figured, . . ..
This is incorrect. Per the Hit and Run USR, it is done at the end of the Assault Phase. So, Combat Resolution would be determined, and then, if the Unit was still Locked in Combat, it could attempt to use Hit and Run.

dannyat2460
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I want to ask a guestion about hit and run, do lash whips affect it i thort no but had to concede when 4 ppl said it did

somerandomdude
01-26-2011, 04:59 PM
I want to ask a guestion about hit and run, do lash whips affect it i thort no but had to concede when 4 ppl said it did

Yes.

Lash Whips forces them to treat their I as 1 until the end of the assault phase (which would include Hit & Run). Hit & Run does not specify that the test involves the unmodified value (like ID or Sweeping Advances). So you test on your currect I.

However, the next question is, what happens with units of mixed values? Related to this Lash Whip example, if a five man squad with I6 is in an assault, and two of those models were in contact with Lash Whips, which value do they test at? The Majority, the lowest, or the highest?

The section in the rulesbook about characteristic tests does not specify which is used in these situations, although it does specify that Leadership takes the highest, and Sweeping Advances (not a test, but still involving I) take the majority.

Also, do pile-in moves happen before the Hit & Run test? I'd say so, which can mean both good and bad things, especially in this example.

EDIT: This means Thunderhammers also affect it, but I can't think of anyone with multiple wounds, Hit & Run, and Eternal Warrior/T5+ other than a Keeper of Secrets so that one doesn't matter as much.

Archon Charybdis
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Hmm, yeah my mistake. I could have sworn Hit and Run moves were done before combat resolution, but that's what I get for not double checking myself.

somerandomdude
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Hmm, yeah my mistake. I could have sworn Hit and Run moves were done before combat resolution, but that's what I get for not double checking myself.

In fact, all Hit & Run moves are done at the end of the entire phase. Meaning, if the first combat to be resolved that turn includes a unit with Hit & Run, they can't make their move until after all other combats have been resolved. This prevents things like setting up traps for other units, but also makes it easier for the Hit & Runner to decide where he wants to go.

dannyat2460
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
well what i read is that lash whips reduce I to 1 until end of the phase

Hit & Run is at the end of the phase so if its done at the same time that ends it donsnt affect H&R but yes thunder hammers would affect

Tynskel
01-27-2011, 05:33 PM
well what i read is that lash whips reduce I to 1 until end of the phase

Hit & Run is at the end of the phase so if its done at the same time that ends it donsnt affect H&R but yes thunder hammers would affect

You should take the lim t-->end of phase for rule(t). Then you'll know whether thunder hammers, lash whips, ect effect Hit n' Run moves.

DarkLink
01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
You should take the lim t-->end of phase for rule(t). Then you'll know whether thunder hammers, lash whips, ect effect Hit n' Run moves.

Warning: Explanation may not be suitable for liberal arts majors.

dannyat2460
01-28-2011, 09:42 AM

In English please

Culven
01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
In English please
In English, the effect lasts to the end of the phase/start of the next phase. So, it is still in effect at the end of the phase when Hit and Run can be used.

Tynskel
01-28-2011, 03:54 PM
In English please

you should take the limit of time, t, until the end of the round (t = 0) as applied to rule (hit n' run, or any rule) as a function of the time of such part of the round.

Example, lets say that Lash Whip effect the model until the end of the assault phase and Hit n' Run applies at the end of the assault phase, then as you take the limit of the time approaching the end of the phase (meaning taking smaller and smaller time steps approaching the end of the round), you'll see that at every moment Lash Whips always apply, and hence at time equal end of phase, Lash Whips still apply, and therefore Hit n' Run would be effected as well.