PDA

View Full Version : dealing with Pie Plates and Vendetta Gunships

Shyft
01-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I play Grey Knights, with all the obvious issues, but we know them. I ask this question not expecting miracles. Instead, I wish to gather insight on how to deal with these problems.

Whenever I face up against mech IG (Leafblower in all but name, far as I can see), I get pie-platted to death, and the Vendetta Gunships ravage my land raiders.

So I'm asking how do you prioritize targets? Do you ignore the gunships and charge ahead? Hunker down and try to leverage lascannon range?

Thanks in advance.

gcsmith
01-25-2011, 03:53 AM
Generally the pie plates in a army either can barely hurt ur land raiders or have short range, As such focus on the vendettas and rush forward. I understand u face lascannons from the the tanks in front, but maybe a rhino wall can help.

Col.Gravis
01-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Faced with that I'd probably start in reserve and opt for second turn if possible, roll on targetting the Vendetta's which are afterall only AV12 and so fairly soft targets for your twin-linked lascannon before retasking to deal with the rest of the force.

If your forced into first turn, then better to start on board and move up quickly targetting artillery instead which is going to most hurt your GK payload.

crazyredpraetorian
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the most important question is: what weapon are the pie plates coming from? Different weapons, different tactics.

ElCheezus
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
A great defense against blast templates in general is to spread out. If you're near max coherency, then small templates can hit at most two or maybe three if they're lucky. Just yesterday I saw a good example, 6 ML shots all rolled "hit" and each template only got one model. Not quite the result that the player wanted against a guard blob.

Against large templates, I've seen a guy in our FLGS basically arrange his units in a circle, where the template could actually land in the middle of the unit and not hit anything. If it hit the edges, it would be a max of three models hit. Doing things like this severely reduces the damage blast markers can do, even if you can't manage to take out the weapons right away.

plawolf
01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
A great defense against blast templates in general is to spread out. If you're near max coherency, then small templates can hit at most two or maybe three if they're lucky. Just yesterday I saw a good example, 6 ML shots all rolled "hit" and each template only got one model. Not quite the result that the player wanted against a guard blob.

Against large templates, I've seen a guy in our FLGS basically arrange his units in a circle, where the template could actually land in the middle of the unit and not hit anything. If it hit the edges, it would be a max of three models hit. Doing things like this severely reduces the damage blast markers can do, even if you can't manage to take out the weapons right away.

"Ok lads, assume The Human Donut Formation!" TM (THDF is hereby copyrighted by me! Haha! :p).

Not sure if I would lol or punch you in the face if you pulled that on me.

ElCheezus
01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
"Ok lads, assume The Human Donut Formation!" TM (THDF is hereby copyrighted by me! Haha! :p).

Not sure if I would lol or punch you in the face if you pulled that on me.

The gun in our FLGS does battle reports on just about everything, and pretty good ones. Here's a link to a game I played against him, and he uses THDF after he moves his outflankers. They're usually in the upper-left of some of the pictures, close to my demolisher. I've seen him use it to great effect numerous times. Like I said, you pretty much only get 3 hits, which is about what a flamer would get. It basically means you're overpaying for your large blasts against him, since the perform about half what you usually expect.

You notice that he sometimes leaves a clump of them near the board edge, as a juicy target to tempt them into a bad scatter. Again, numerous times, I've seen his opponents aim for that group and then scatter off the board.

Here's the link. http://www.ailarian.com/folera/batreps/blood-conquers-all/blood-conquers-26.html