PDA

View Full Version : Wyrds of the Primarchs

Drew da Destroya
01-24-2011, 03:48 PM
So, I'm about halfway through "Prospero Burns", and there's a discussion of the "Wyrds" of the Primarchs going on which is pretty interesting. The basic idea (which has been played with in the other novels as well) is that each Primarch (and thus Legion) was created with a specific role in mind. They mention 7 in the book (and confirm the role of 2), but I'd like to attach names to the other 5 roles mentioned, and maybe think of Wyrds for the remaining Primarchs as well.

The ones from the book mentioned are:

One to be Heir to the Emperor's Throne - Horus (heavily implied enough to be confirmed)

One to Fortify the Defenses of the Imperium - Perturabo (my best guess)

One to Guard the Hearth - Rogal Dorn (best guess)

One to Watch the Distant Perimeter - Guilliman (sketchy guess... but they're way out there)

One to Command the Armies - Lion El'Johnson... or maybe Sanguinus?

One to Control Intelligences - Alpharion/Omegon if they mean military intelligence... Magnus if they mean the control of knowledge

Executioner - Leman Russ (Confirmed by name).

Any thoughts on the other Wyrds? Does my list above make sense? Any disagreements?

To Forge the Weapons of the Imperium - Vulcan

To be the Heart of the Imperium - Sanguinus

To Enforce Order in the Imperium - Night Haunter

To Conquer New Worlds - Angron

To protect the moral health of the Imperium - Lorgar

To gather knowledge - Magnus

Public Health and safety - Mortarion

Andrew283
01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Vulkan - To forge the weapons of the Imperium?

ctrich77
01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Sanguinius - To be the heart of the imperium?

jorz192
01-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Curze to enforce order.

Lorgar to take charge of the moral health of the imperium?

Angron to conquer new worlds?

Mortarion no clue.

Aenir
01-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Perhaps to ensure the Health of the Imperium?

Drew da Destroya
01-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Perhaps to ensure the Health of the Imperium?

Well played, sir.

I like where this is going, though. I'm going to update my first post with our ideas, see if we can come up with a "role" for every primarch.

Cowboy247
01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
One to be Heir to the Emperor's Throne - Horus (heavily implied enough to be confirmed)

Magnus was supposed to replace the Emperor according to The Thousand Sons book, and Horus was to lead his armys.

Duke
01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
I think Horus was to lead the armies and sanguinius was to be heir. Even Horus says that sang was theist noble and deserving.

Duke

plawolf
01-26-2011, 02:10 AM
My take on this, I feel that the Primarches almost works in pairs, as if there is to be a spare.

One to be Heir to the Emperor's Throne - Magnus and Sangunius. It was pretty explicitly stated in A Thousand Sons that the Emperor originally planned for Magnus to sit on the Golden Throne and be its human battery. And Sangunius would have been noble and kind enough to be a much loved heir.

One to Fortify the Defenses of the Imperium - Perturabo and Dorn

One to Guard the Hearth - Rogal Dorn and Sangunius

One to Command the Armies - Horus and Guilliman. Warmaster, commander of all the Emperor's armies and master organizor.

One to Watch the Distant Perimeter - Alpharion/Omegon and Mortorian. Fits with the Alpha Legion's tactic of operating in small covert cells. They would be the early warning of any impending attack or danger. And the Death Guard would be the best Legion to throw in something's path if you want it stopped while you gather the other Legions for the counter attack.

One to Control Intelligences - Guilliman. "All shall think according to my Codex and none shall deviate!" :p

Executioner - Leman Russ (Confirmed) and Angron. Not much else Angron is good for.

------------
Roles for remaining Primarchs

To Forge the Weapons of the Imperium - Ferrus Manus and Vulcan?

To Enforce Order in the Imperium - Night Haunter

To Conquer New Worlds - The Lion

To exterminate worlds - Angron

Parades and photo ops - Fulgrim

To hunt down the enemies of the Imperium - Khan and Corax

FastEd
01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I can see the logic behind them being in somewhat paired positions, however I suspect the list would feel more solid if there wasn't any doubling up on jobs per primarch.

On a side note that Magnus' job reminded me off, people seem to forget that the Golden Throne needed to be powered before the Emperor used to to sustain his life since there is the giant gate to the first webway sitting below it that now must be sealed off as it's exposed to the raw warp in many places after some rather catastrophic accidents (and Magnus using sorcery IIRC).

Drew da Destroya
01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
I think there's a difference between "Heir" and "Sits on the Golden Throne". Magnus was definitely going to sit on the throne, but that doesn't make him the heir... that makes him the battery. The Heir is the one who would command Executive Power over the Imperium in the Emperor's absence. Horus definitely seems to have been groomed for that role more, especially with his position of Warmaster.

Essentially, each of the Primarchs would take over for part of what the Emperor was doing. He was stepping back from Active leadership, and each of his sons was inheriting the company, as it were.

Still, it's not easy assigning a specific role to each Primarch, since most of them were set up as "dueling pairs" early in their fluff development... Dorn vs. Perturabo, Sanguinus vs. Angron, Magnus vs. Russ, etc... Most of them have "similar" roles as a result.

Kewlmon
02-15-2011, 04:35 PM
I would think Magnus would be the one to train the pskers of the Imperium no?

Edit:Corax: Head of assassination/infiltration
Ferrus Manus: discover lost technology/create new technology
Fulgrim: (best guess i got) Imperial propaganda and preserver of imperial history and art
Jagahati Khan: Probably helps Angron conquer worlds IF NOT then he might be the one keeping a tab on Xenos threats (i.e. White Scars attacks against the tau empire)

dietrich43
02-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Magnus was going to be used to power the Astronomicon.

DrWobbles
02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Lion El'Jonson: to go forth and conquer new worlds

Fulgrim: to beautify and glorify the imperium

Perturabo: to fortify the defences of the imperium

Jaghati Khan: to give chase to the Emperor's fleeing enemies

Leman Russ: to be the executioner

Rogal Dorn: to guard the hearth

Konrad Curze: to enforce order in the imperium

Sanguinius: to be the exemplar of the entire imperium

Ferrus Manus: to engineer the mahines of war

Angron: to annhilate seditious populations

Roboute Guilliman: to command the armies (he's very organized)

Mortarion: to be the dam that stems the tide

Magnus the Red: to be the guide that connects mankind to the webway

Horus Lupercal: the heir to the throne (not the golden one!)

Lorgar: to ensure the loyalty of the masses

Vulkan: to craft the weapons of the imperium

Corax: to watch the perimeter with vigilance

Alpharius/Omegon: to gather and control intelligences

dietrich43
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Horus Lupercal: the heir to the throne (not the golden one!)

"I've conquered the most worlds in the Great Crusade, Father, but all you give me is your private toilet?"

DrWobbles
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Ha! maybe thats why he went rogue.