PDA

View Full Version : Space wolves dreadnought loadouts

wittdooley
01-24-2011, 10:17 AM
So I'm finally going to get around to painting my FW space wolves dread. Any recommendations on how I should kit out the arms? I don't want to magnetize them so I'd like to pick a loadout that is functional for games.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

rle68
01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
need more info what else is in the army? how is going to deploy? drop pod or standard .. cant say without knowing that

wittdooley
01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Hmmm. I guess im lookin more for whether or not a gun platform sw dread is viable. Do I use two ranged weapon arms? If so how do i build it? Twin something, or two different weapons? Do I need to get some fw autocannons? Is a las worth it? I'm used to running my dreads with the pretty standard mm/ccw loadout.

Farseer_Orso
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
The only dread I'd consider running in a Space Wolves army is Bjorn. The Elite slot is just too crowded with other *awesome* entries, depending on what you are doing with your army (Iron Priest on wolf, the incredible edible scouts, the always-necessary Wolf Guard, the toolbox that is the Lone Wolf).

Given that, Bjorn has a DCCW, his "Fell-Hand", though you can always play a counts-as, and either an Assault Cannon, TLLC or a Plasma Cannon. I prefer to run him with the Plasma, as he's got the invuln save to deal with the heat and the high BS to put that template anywhere you want it.

He's a beast that can't be taken down in melee by anyone with less than S7 and has an invuln save (and the Venerable "mini-save"). He also lets you reroll to go first. He's expensive, but a valuable asset in the right list.

That being said, in a wolf army, the rifleman dread has his place (double autocannons). You can also always use the basic cheap dread, DCCW and Assault Cannon. If you're running those, though, the question is "why?". Both the Smurf Marines and the Twilight Marines do it better than us.

Dezmo1218
01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Given that, Bjorn has a DCCW, his "Fell-Hand", though you can always play a counts-as, and either an Assault Cannon, TLLC or a Plasma Cannon. I prefer to run him with the Plasma, as he's got the invuln save to deal with the heat and the high BS to put that template anywhere you want it.

Plasma weapons don't overheat on vehicles. :P

wittdooley
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
The only dread I'd consider running in a Space Wolves army is Bjorn. The Elite slot is just too crowded with other *awesome* entries, depending on what you are doing with your army (Iron Priest on wolf, the incredible edible scouts, the always-necessary Wolf Guard, the toolbox that is the Lone Wolf).

He's a beast that can't be taken down in melee by anyone with less than S7 and has an invuln save (and the Venerable "mini-save"). He also lets you reroll to go first. He's expensive, but a valuable asset in the right list.

That being said, in a wolf army, the rifleman dread has his place (double autocannons). You can also always use the basic cheap dread, DCCW and Assault Cannon. If you're running those, though, the question is "why?". Both the Smurf Marines and the Twilight Marines do it better than us.

Yeah, I have my custom Bjorn all painted up. I just really want to paint the FW Dread :)

Farseer_Orso
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Plasma weapons don't overheat on vehicles. :P

Had to look it up, but you are correct. Touche.

Weafwolf
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
So I'm finally going to get around to painting my FW space wolves dread. Any recommendations on how I should kit out the arms? I don't want to magnetize them so I'd like to pick a loadout that is functional for games.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

It's probably not popular, but I love to take a dread with the assault cannon and a heavy flamer in a drop pod. The AC lets him get some decent shots in against side or rear armor of tanks, while the flamer and AC together is great against troops.

I can't say it always makes back its 150 points, and it certainly helps to have a second drop pod so that you can decide whether you want it coming in on first turn or not, but it has often been a game-changer just because it draws at least a round of attention. I've had games where I can drop it right in the spot enemy transports are converging, games where it ties up a part of a firebase, and one game where it nailed two entire squads of DE Warriors with that flamer. The friend I play with hates the thing... which is all the recommendation it needs.

As a standard dread, it also makes a decent counter assault unit. Hide it until stuff starts to get close. I used one during my last game and killed Asdrubael Vect when he came calling.

The only luck I've ever had with the Multi-melta dread was with a Venerable in a drop pod. There's nothing worse than podding in to light up an Excorcist, then... rolling a 2.

Never played the rifleman, although I can see the appeal against transports and light tanks, and I don't like the Las/ML version much. Two shots? I can get five in a Long Fangs unit for that.

It IS fun to throw down Bjorn and three other dreads though. You should try it sometime.

BlindGunn
01-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Never played the rifleman, although I can see the appeal against transports and light tanks, and I don't like the Las/ML version much. Two shots? I can get five in a Long Fangs unit for that.
I've used the TLL / ML in a dread with some success. His main advantage is Move & Shoot - something you just can't do with Long Fangs...

Where I find him best is in a Drop Pod list: he can move and shoot 1st turn out of the pod where the Long Fangs run for cover. He's a Hard Vehicle that fits into the theme.

But I agree - in a "typical" list with Rhinos and Razorbacks, TLL & Missile on a dread is hard to justify.