PDA

View Full Version : Flickerfields and ramming

somerandomdude
01-24-2011, 07:59 AM
This question is related to the Dark Eldar Flickerfield, a vehicle upgrade that can be taken on all vehicles (one comes standard). Here is the text in its entirety for anyone who needs it.

Flickerfield:

The vehicle has a highly advanced optical force shield that makes it appear to flicker in and out of reality. A vehicle with a flickerfield has a 5+ invulnerable save.

While it doesn't specify what it is used against (Bjorn, the only other invulnerable save vehicle I can think of, does) I think it works for any hit that would cause a damage result, such as glancing and penetrating hits, as well as Thunderhammer hits that fail to glance or penetrate (that last one I'm not so sure about though).

So, this means it works against ramming, correct? Whether the Dark Eldar vehicle is the one ramming* or being rammed. When ramming occurs, both vehicles suffer a hit, and a potential damage result, meaning that the Flickerfield could prevent any damage according to the rules, correct?

*Note: Two Dark Eldar vehicles, while not tanks, have a vehicle upgrade option which allows them to tank shock, so they could do the ramming themselves if necessary.

Archon Charybdis
01-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I don't see any reason the Flicker Field wouldn't apply, it doesn't have any restrictions on it's use.

DarkLink
01-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Flickerfields grant a 5+ invulnerable save. Invulnerable saves may be taken against pretty much everything except weapons that explicitly ignore them. Thus, you can save against cc attacks and similar.

Defenestratus
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Flickerfields grant a 5+ invulnerable save. Invulnerable saves may be taken against pretty much everything except weapons that explicitly ignore them. Thus, you can save against cc attacks and similar.

I think that a ff would protect against rolls on the damage chart, but against a Thunderhammer I'm not so sure, since its actually not a glance or penetration that you're rolling again.

However, the effect of a thunderhammer hit is the same as one of the results on the damage chart. Its a grey area that could be equally argued on both sides.

DarkLink
01-24-2011, 12:14 PM
That's a good question. I think that would need an FAQ.

Archon Charybdis
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
I can't imagine you'd get an additional save against it. The Stunned effect isn't a separate attack, it's part and parcel of an attack you already failed to save against.

Sandman2663
01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
The intent of FF is vs shooting. The RAW is yes it works with ramming. Aethersails and Shock prow are nice.
Just make sure the ride is empty...

Sam
01-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Thunder hammers only apply shaken results if they inflict another damage result as well. They have to glance or pen to do that, so you don't need a separate save against TH hits that do nothing, since they do nothing.

"Against vehicles with no Initiative value, whenever a thunder hammer inflicts any damage result, it also inflicts a crew shaken result (see page 61)." BRB, page 42.

somerandomdude
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
The intent of FF is vs shooting.

Is it? If that were the case, wouldn't a cover save have been a better option?

Thunder hammers only apply shaken results if they inflict another damage result as well.

Thanks, sorry about that. Army Builder only said hit (not result), and I didn't grab the rulebook for that part. Thanks for the correction.

Archon Charybdis
01-24-2011, 10:27 PM
The intent of FF is vs shooting.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, there's absolutely no restriction that the Flicker Field only applies to shooting.