PDA

View Full Version : Agonizers for Hekatrii: Waste of points??

Ahrimaneus
01-23-2011, 08:59 PM
So I've been doing some additional list building based on the help I've received both here and on MY BLOG (http://ahrimaneus.blogspot.com).

I have a question about Agonizers in regular Wych Hekatrii. Is it a waste of points? 20 points seems a pretty steep price for, on average, 1 dead marine. Is it better off to go with the cheap venom blade instead? Been doing some points squeezing and this came up as a potential source, particularly in wych squads that may go suicidal with haywire grenades.

What say you?

Tynskel
01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
one dead marine is 16 points, unless it is a sgt or weapon carrier.

Necron_Lord
01-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Absolutely not a waste of points. Your Hekatrix with Agonizer is going to get you your kills against power armor, especially when you get good combat drug results. If you're going up against Orks, IG, etc. with crappy saves, the points are wasted, otherwise, it is what is going to get you your kills against units with good saves. I haven't thought that they are a waste, but I go up against a lot of power armor.

Mizzrym
01-23-2011, 09:43 PM
I absolutely second what necron lord said. wytch weapons are largely a waste of points from my experience though. Personally I've been running squads of 6 regular wytches, a Hek w/ Ag., and a haemonculus with agonizer in a raider with great success. You lose fleet but gain FnP (and can also keep fleet by just not disembarking haemy) and 3 more agonizer attacks on I4 (4 on the charge). And being that most marines are I4 thats gonna be 2-3 dead marines per round, more with the right drugs.

Tynskel
01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
you should think about it this way--- Space Marines can take a lot of pain--- the fact that the agonizer just outright makes them 'feel it', is glorious!

BuFFo
01-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Agonizers have been a staple of Wyches for over a Decade. Agonizers have always been worth taking, and especially now with the better Wych Squads we have now.

thecactusman17
01-24-2011, 02:34 AM
I haven't played Wych squads yet (I'll be getting a few in the next few weeks) but at 20 points the Agonizer is a good buy no matter where you put it so long as you have more than a handful of attacks. Hekatrix' with Agonizers are a great but and should make back their points within 1-2 dead marines, and can do so much more when you're dealing instead with monstrous creatures or T5+ models (most of whom will earn back the entire model's points almost instantly).

DrLove42
01-24-2011, 02:57 AM
See how "pointless" you think it is when you get your squad of wyches stuck in CC with a wraithlord...or a carnifax...or someting of equivilent high Toughness. Then see how silly it is.

Xas
01-24-2011, 04:41 AM
no the agoniser isnt worth the 20points.

it is worth the whole f***ing 130 points you pay for 10 wyches with one of them!

why are yout akeing wyches if not for an agoniser with many wounds and a good invul?

in a world of cheapo 4+ poisonr anged weapons I'm not paying a single point for s3 melee attacks that dont ignore armor saves. if they come as a bonus yes why not ...

Unzuul the Lascivious
01-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah, just looked at it, the Agoniser is better actually. Now that I've modelled most of my Heka's with Venom Blades. Arse...

crazy_irish
01-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Yeah, just looked at it, the Agoniser is better actually. Now that I've modelled most of my Heka's with Venom Blades. Arse...

No problem, as agonisers come in many different forms, the wip is just a commonly known.

A blade works just fine ;-)

and yes, totally worth it. last game, i wanted to see if i could use a power weapon instead.... didn't work...

BuFFo
01-24-2011, 11:17 AM

So?

Call them Agonizers and be done with it. :)

Ahrimaneus
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've always been running with one just wanted to gauge people's opinion on it point-for-point. I'm occasionally sucseptible to putting too many eggs in one basket cuz the basket just is so damn awesome haha.

bryce963
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I have been loving my bloodbrides. The Agonizer is mandatory, that may not get all of your kills, but it always kicks in another 1 or two.

What I don't understand is people putting the grenade launcher on wyches, that makes no sense and is a total waste of points as they have plasma grenades. The Agonizer is worth, as someone said the 130 points for the squad as extras.

thecactusman17
01-24-2011, 02:32 PM
In theory the grenade launcher is for defensive grenades. Of course, if you are getting charged then you have bigger things to worry about than dodging a few extra attacks.

VulkansApprentice
01-27-2011, 11:40 AM
My favorite use? A double shardnet squad and agonizer against nids.....I've ripped down more trygons and carnifexes than I can count. Hekatrix gets a wound or two on the MC, monster strikes back minus 2 attacks and wounds one or two, I make half the saves and eventually my wych squad whittles away what is usually a terror to other armies.