PDA

View Full Version : Blocking a webway portal

Lunar Camel
01-23-2011, 10:14 AM
So here's a situation that came up that I couldn't find a rule on:
My wife's Dark Eldar opened a webway portal for her troops to reserve through. My IG surrounded the portal before it could be used, keeping a tight chain around it. When her troops came out of reserve, we were stuck.

Do the troops still come out of the webway, enter assault, have to enter from another area on the board? We weren't sure so we just played it as a fresh assault (which was more fun by the way).

Has anyone else ran into this? What are your thoughts and could this be a way of shutting down a webway portal?

gcsmith
01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Board, They may treat the webway as a board edge but dnt have 2

DarkLink
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Unless they are jump infantry, then the DE could not move on via the webway portal. There has to be room during the movement phase for the entire unit to walk on past the Guardsmen. Jump infantry could fly over if they could get far enough to have room to land.

As mentioned the DE could just walk on from the table edge.

Archon Charybdis
01-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Though, being automatically locked in assault sounds like a fun house rule.

DrLove42
01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
They can't come in. Same way if you manage to have a line of infantry across the board edge something comes in on no one else can come on.

miteyheroes
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
You can't move within 1" of other troops except in your assault phase. Unless you're jump troops.

Therefore you have to come on from your table edge, like normal reserves.

jorz192
01-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Dude your wife plays 40k with you? Lucky.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Dude your wife plays 40k with you? Lucky.

lol, there are more of us playing 40k than you would think

Tynskel
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
lol, there are more of us playing 40k than you would think

that doesn't help my situation, unless these wives are into other games...

Oh, yes, I just went down that road...

Commissar Lewis
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Ah, some day I hope to have enough Guardsmen to be able to entirely block off board edges.

steelmage99
01-24-2011, 01:19 AM
They can't come in. Same way if you manage to have a line of infantry across the board edge something comes in on no one else can come on.

That is a very bold statement, sir.

DrLove42
01-24-2011, 03:00 AM
OK...they can't come in through the webway portal if they are foot infantry, but can instead come in from board edges as usual. Should clarify that a bit more really....

And i've seen an Apoc game where one player deployed nothing in turn 1 and brought nothing on either. SO the other player used his Strategic redeployment asset to put a line of men around the entire board edge, so there was no where they could come on. Tehscrewed player had to use his deepstriking troops to try and open up a hole to get other stuff on the board in his 2nd reserves turn....

Didn't go well for him

Daemonette666
01-25-2011, 05:55 AM
Troops can not stop super heavies or gargantuan creatures. So if you had a game big enough to surround all of the board edges with guardsmen, then I am sure to bring atleast 3 to 5 Super heavies to force gaps in the line, and rush troops up behind them. Yes I am evil, but in a good way LOL

FastEd
01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Tank shock gets around the infantry line. Works best with vehicles because if they fail to destroy you they stop moving while they are only partly on the board. Only issue is that it takes quite a few vehicles, though rhinos are cheap enough.

steelmage99
01-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Tank shocking a line of infantry placed in that manner is very much easier to say than to actually do.

Culven
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
So if you had a game big enough to surround all of the board edges with guardsmen, then I am sure to bring atleast 3 to 5 Super heavies to force gaps in the line, and rush troops up behind them.
Remember, the new FAQ will cause those Super Heavy Tanks to be destroyed because they can't completely move onto the table. :mad:

Daemonette666
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a Hellknight of Slaanesh, a Chaos Warhound Titan and Armorcast Reaver titan that can move 12" and the Titans have 6"x 12" bases max. I can move on 12" and still have 6" for anotherof my units to move into. Hopefully I do not lose a structure point, and then the enemy has to move back another 1" after the round of close combat/tank shock occurs. From that point I can just move the super heavies around shooting places in the enemies line where I want to create gaps for my troops to come on.

I can still deep strike units onto the table using Raptors, Terminators, Obliterators, and Lesser Daemons. Once the Terminators and Raptors were on, I would use their icons to guide any deep strikers down, and then deploy to hold the objectives, the enemy could not get to in time because they had spread their forces too thinly around the table.

Once they had to react to my troops coming down via deep striking, and from the forced titan led push through, there would be more than enough gaps for my remaining force to get onto the table.

The idea of spreading troops around the table edges is a silly one, and no plan especially one as flawed as this does not survive contact with the enemy. I would have already had to a backup plan or unit/force in place to attempt to rush the objectives, crush the enemy breakthrough, or reinforce a beleaguered unit, and so on.

Oh well this is a silly idea/tactic anyway, and except for the example given above, I would not expect it to occur enough for it to matter. The other player in the example above had deep striking units, and so he could have dropped forces to shoot up the enemy and create a gap in the enemy defenses for his remaining troops to come through.

thecactusman17
01-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Trick question. You may be married, but there's no way your wife plays 40k with you.

Tynskel
01-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Remember, the new FAQ will cause those Super Heavy Tanks to be destroyed because they can't completely move onto the table. :mad:

hah! I laugh at that statement. If you are playing Apocalypse, you are playing house rules, FAQs can very easily go out the window.

Tynskel
01-25-2011, 09:21 PM
the most hilarious thing to do is tank shock them, and if they fail their Ld Check, watch your opponent then remove them from the board, because their minimum distance for fallback takes them off the board!

Tynskel
01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
This is also why every infantry unit I use in Apoc is either mounted, or deep strikes.

Commissar Lewis
01-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh the blocking a table edge with Guardsmen is one of my subprime but fun plans.

Like the Flying V back in the old codex. Close Order Drill + arranging all Guardsmen base-to-base in a shape of a V. Not great but fun.

Culven
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
hah! I laugh at that statement. If you are playing Apocalypse, you are playing house rules, FAQs can very easily go out the window.
I realise that, and I fully expect everyone to continue dealing with the problem as we always have and move the model so it doesn't fall off the table. I was just pointing out the stupidity of the FAQ and GW's lack of ability to think through the repercussions of their rules.