PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Assaults

Foosh
01-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Possibly there is a thread already up but I have not had ANY luck finding anything currently.

My question is on multiple assaults, not defenders reacting but actually being the one who assaults. I've heard but cant seem to put a finger on multiple assaults. Do they still work like they used to base to base with closest and then everyone else goes 6'' wherever you want them to as long as coherency is maintained, or you assault one unit and it is mandatory that you try to get as many models in base to base with that unit as possible or within 2'' of someone who is THEN if you cannot get into that area but still maintain coherency you may multiple assault.

which one of these is correct?
It would seem if the second one is correct the only way you could ever multiple assault without having a gigantor unit of guys would be to string them out in a line and have the last guy or two go into something else, per say a vehicle.

Thanks for the help!

Sam
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
You must move the closest model to the closest model in the unit you declared the assault against. For the remaining model you must:

1. Attempt to move them into base contact with an enemy model that is NOT already in base contact with an assaulting model (it does not specify that this model must be in the unit you first declared the assault against, so i believe this is where you start to bring in multiple units)

2. If that is not possible, move them into base contact with an enemy model that is in base contact with an assaulting model

3. If that is not possible, move them within 2" of an assaulting model that is in base contact with an enemy model.

4. If even THAT is not possible, simply maintain unit coherency.

Now, for the next bit I could be completely wrong, because I'm far too lazy to dig out the rule book. As I remember it, though, the BRB says you must try to get as many models in base contact with the enemy as possible. It does not say that you have to get into base contact with as many models in a single unit before dragging another unit into it.

So, essentially, the answer is neither. The first option you presented is ignoring most of the rules for moving assaulting models. The second is adding more to the rules than is actually there (unless it is there, at which point the second option is, in fact, correct).

Edit: Ok, I lied. Curiosity over came my laziness, so I looked it up. "As usual the closest attacking model must be moved to contact the closest model in the enemy unit against which the assault was declared. Then remaining models can assault models belonging to other enemy units, as long as they keep following the rules for moving assaulting models." ASSAULTING MULTIPLE ENEMY UNITS, BRB, page 34

So it works exactly like I said.

01-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Multiple assaults are strange primarily, I think, because of the necessity to bring models in b2b contact if possible. This means that if you try to assault two enemy units, they obviously need to be pretty close to one another. You cannot have a model in between them maintaining unit coherency (which you also must do) in order to bridge the gap between two enemy units if s/he was able to get in b2b contact.

But yes, to answer your question, you indicate your first assault target and then you move closest to closest (also, as a side note, check for IC assaulting in a recent FAQ... states something along the lines of them having to try to get into b2b contact or something). Once you move your closest to closest, you have the rest of your unit which usually has 6 to move where they all attempt to get into b2b contact while maintaining unit coherency. It's during this point that you can attempt to assault a separate unit, if the other requirements can be met.

Paintraina
01-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Of course Image and Sam both have it right. You can do some pretty amazing multi-assaults if you are clever in the movement phase. You can make sure a model is far enough away from the enemy such that he can bridge the combat to several disparate units.