PDA

View Full Version : New eldar on forgeworld

energongoodie
01-19-2011, 10:03 AM
The Shadow spectres look AWESOME. I think some marines are gonna die and the haywire launcher means they've got a good chance of taking even the highest armour down.
The experimental rules list an Exarch but all the models look the same to me.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/SHADOW-SPECTRES-ASPECT-WARRIOR-SQUAD.html

Looks like a beast

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/ELDAR-WARP-HUNTER.html

DrLove42
01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Why aren't the rules for the Tank up yet!

But they're both awesome!

eldargal
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Bah, too late for my birthday, thanks a lot FW. :rolleyes:

Seriously, so impressed with the Aspect Warriors and the Warp Hunter. Wonder why they went back to the old Epic name rather than calling it the Lynx. Good choice in my opinion. Edit: The Lynx and Warp Hunter aren't the same, unless the Lynx was radically redesigned since we last saw it (unlikely in my opinion). I hope they are different, such a treat for Eldar players.

Defenestratus
01-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Damn and I just got my FW order yesterday! Wish these would have been out when I ordered, would have gotten warp hunters!

I need to blow up an Imperator titan at the end of feb and those would come in handy :)

(BTW, I wonder if that giant D-cannon would arrive as warped as my nightwings just did. One of the fuselage pieces looks like someone left it on top of a basketball sitting on the pavement in the Florida sun :( )

darth_papi76
01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
The Warp Hunter is beautiful!
I like the Shadow Spectre models but I'm not impressed with the experimental rules.

DrLove42
01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
OK so the tanks rules are up now

When the phantom titan comes out...and i get paid...i'm making like a £750 FW order....

eldargal
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I like the rules thus far, Relentless high Strength mobile able to go long ranged if needed fills an important empty slot in the Eldar army in my opinion. Couple them with Fire Dragons, use them to pop the tanks, use the Spectres to obliterfry the contents. Or, use Ghostlight to pop the tank and mop up with other troops. Finally an alternative to Fire Dragons.;)

lordbubonicus
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow. The Shadow Spectres models are just as beautiful as I hoped after the sneak peaks that we got a while ago. I really, really want some. I think they'd work fairly well as substitute Warp Spiders as well. As for the rules, they're interesting. Terminator hunters as well as tanks hunters. The exarch seems like an all or nothing deal - get him with upgrades (cynosure in particular looks useful, but I'm not sold on the lance at 10pts for a pip of strength) or leave him behind. Shame that they're competing in the heavy support slot against War Walkers, Fire Prisms, Wraithlords (and Dark Reapers, but those have a very different role). Still, a nice alternative if you want to go aspect warrior heavy.

As for the Warp Hunter, it looks substantially different to the Lynx, not to mention the fact that the latter has a pulsar. I'm surprised that they went with different chassis for the two, particularly with the Warp Hunter based on the Falcon chassis. I would have expected there to be two variants on the lynx, one with the Pulsar and one with the D-cannon. EDIT: OK, the rules are pretty much what I expected. It's a D-cannon on a tank. Still, the added bonus of the aether rift is nice, and I can see it doing horrible things to closely packed infantry.

The full Shadow Spectre squad is the same cost as a Hornet!

darth_papi76
01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree that they would make a fine alternative to Fire Dragons. I feel that the 12 inch range is too short to justify the point cost. If you combine fire you only get one shot. But then again I play Eldar so I should be used to overpaying for stuff. I do like the Haywire Launcher!:D

eldargal
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
I was about to put in a large order, then I thought it might be better to wait for IA11. But I want them now.:( Whimper, moan.

eldargal
01-19-2011, 11:00 AM
So, the official title of IA11 is Imperial Armour Volume 11: The Doom of Mymeara.

Newsletter arrived:

Hi There,
This Newsletter contains some fantastic news for Eldar players with two releases available to pre-order now. We also have two previously unseen Badab War scenarios for you to download, and news of our first three Events for 2011- AdeptiCon in Chicago, the Forge World Open Day here in Nottingham and Salute in London.

Thanks,
Ead Brown

Eldar New Releases Available to Pre-Order Now:

Shadow Spectres Aspect Warrior Squad
Disguised behind shimmering holo-fields, draped with gossamer-thin robes and appearing like ghosts, the Shadow Spectres are armed with prism rifles, each a potent anti-tank weapon. Their jet pack mobility allows them to hunt down their chosen targets with the implacable patience of the dead, materialising seemingly from the very air to unleash their overwhelming firepower.

Believed long lost by the Eldar’s Seers, this detailed full resin kit, sculpted by Simon Egan, contains 5 of these mysterious and deadly Aspect Warriors.
Experimental rules for the Shadow Spectres Aspect Warriors are available to download from the Forge World website, taken from the desk of Imperial Armour writer Warwick Kinrade.

The full story of the discovery of the Shadow Spectres will be featured in Imperial Armour Volume 11: The Doom of Mymeara, released later this year.

Warp Hunter Grav Tank
The Warp Hunter, perhaps the rarest of Eldar tanks, sacrifices the transport capacity of the Falcon chassis to mount the terrifying firepower of a large D-Cannon, a weapon capable of tearing open the very fabric of reality and engulfing its target in the dark energies of the Warp.
This complete resin and plastic kit, sculpted by Stuart Williamson, adds additional mobile heavy firepower to an Eldar army.

The Warp Hunter will be fully detailed in the forthcoming Imperial Armour Volume 11: The Doom of Mymeara, but in advance of this we’ve managed to secure experimental rules for the Warp Hunter from Warwick Kinrade’s manuscript as a free download.

Both the Shadow Spectres Aspect Warrior Squad and the Warp Hunter Grav Tank are available to pre-order now for despatch in the week commencing the 24th of January.

Additional Badab War Content Available to Download Now
After the impressive response to the additional Badab War material from our last newsletter, this week we’ve added another two scenarios that you can download here and here. To get the most out of these scenarios will require Imperial Armour Volume 9 and Imperial Armour Volume 10, as each provides a unique tactical challenge based on some of the major engagements in this most bloody conflict.

Warhammer Forge
As you may have noticed, the Warhammer section of the Forge World website has altered slightly in anticipation of the imminent launch of Warhammer Forge. We’re excited to announce that the very next Newsletter you receive will feature the first Warhammer Forge releases, which will be sent out alongside our usual Forge World newsletters so you don’t have to worry about signing up again. Stay tuned for more in the not-too-distant future…

Dates for Your Diary – Forge World 2011 Events News

AdeptiCon, Chicago – 1st to 3rd April 2011
For the first time, Forge World will be attending AdeptiCon at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Centre in Chicago, IL, and we are now taking reservation orders for the event. This is the best way to guarantee that we will have exactly what you’re looking for, and you can place a reservation order either by telephoning the Customer Service team on 011 44 115 916 8177 or by sending an e-mail titled ‘AdeptiCon Reservation’, including your name and a list of the items you’d like to reserve, to [email protected].

We must receive your reservation orders by January 24th to allow us to process and ship them in time, so don’t delay! We’ll be bringing you more news about our presence at AdeptiCon over the next few weeks, so please keep an eye on our Events pages.

The Forge World Open Day, Nottingham – 3rd April 2011
Warhammer World in Nottingham will play host to the fifth annual Forge World Open Day on Sunday the 3rd of April.

As part of the event, held at Warhammer World in Nottingham, the Forge World studio team will be showcasing their work-in-progress and unveiling their new projects. As part of this showcase, final proof copies of both Imperial Armour Volume 11: The Doom of Mymeara, and Tamurkhan: The Throne of Chaos will be on display for your perusal. We will also be bringing you our Charity Titan Raffle, fantastic participation games and our Open Day Painting Competition, and the facilities of Warhammer World will also be available. Our sales stand will, as always, be packed with our full range of products including some top-secret new releases, and our exclusive 2011 Events Only miniature will be on sale for the very first time!

Stay tuned to our Events Pages for more details about this ever-popular event, which will again be free to attend.

Salute, London – 16th April 2011
The ExCel centre in London will be the venue for the popular Salute show which we are excited to be again attending. Our sales stand will be jam-packed with a selection of the Forge World range of products as well as new Warhammer Forge releases and Warhammer Historical rulebooks.

Keep an eye on our Events Pages, where we’ll be bringing you more information about our presence at Salute 2011 over the coming weeks.

fuzzbuket
01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
damn you FW ive been using a WS with Dcannon mount as a proxy fire prisim for years :P

MarneusCalgar
01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
So...

Imperial Armour 11 gets closer??

Hope the TWC comes soon!!

Archon Charybdis
01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm kind of disappointed in the rules, or at least the cost per model. A squishy, slowish, short ranged unit that can't benefit from the protection of a Wave Serpent for 35pts a model? I suppose you can sit back and try to pop tanks with the Ghostlight but it's far from a guaranteed kill shot, and they're such a fragile unit. At least Reapers can park on the other side of the board and have a 3+ save. For the same points as a squad of Spectres with exarch and Cynosure, I'd rather have 6 dragons in a serpent.

The Warp Hunter looks gorgeous though, and while I still long to see a D-cannon shot in a large blast, it seems pretty reasonably priced and still awesome. It also just occured to me that the Aether Rift ignores cover saves. Schwing!

eldargal
01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Rules for the Warp Hunter are up here (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/W/Warp-Hunter.pdf).

Bigred
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
The Shadow Spectres need work. Jet packs are useless with 12" weapons, and the combo shot is very unrelaible. If the combo shot was a small blast so it would hit something even on misses, that might make it better.

They are also very pricy, and I'd go with double the number of naked Fire Dragons with the rules as written now.

Now the Warp Hunter is a good deal. I'll take 2.

eldargal
01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I like the rules but the pricing is too high. Yay for experimental rules being experimental.;)

BigGrim
01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
I just saw these and came running to the Lounge.

The Spectres are lovely models and their rules are 'okay' but thankfully experimental.

The Warp Hunter? I'll have two, thanks! It's a beaut of a model with decent rules. When IA 11 comes out, I'm gonna be sooooo poor!

Time to save!:D

DrLove42
01-19-2011, 11:35 AM
It also kinda dates the release of the book. "As part of this showcase, final proof copies of both Imperial Armour Volume 11: The Doom of Mymeara" so it'll be in final stages. Odds are on it being released very soon after that, with initial preorders on that date...

Also i don't think the warp hunter and the lynx are the same thing. At GD UK they said the lynx was a light super heavy...and this looks way different from the concept models.

My problem? So far they've released 1 fast attack choice (yay) and 2 Heavy support options...into a field that is already seriously heavily contested. So when (not if) i buy some of these they'll probably only see the table in apoc games...

Archon Charybdis
01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
The thing is, I think they'd need to come down as much as 10pts to be worth it now. Yeah, they can be a threat to vehicles but only one shot without AP1, even at S10, isn't a terribly reliable proposition. As far as anti-infantry, they'll be lucky if they'll kill 3 models out of cover. Then, even with a Jump Pack move, there are still plenty of units that could assault them.

I'd much rather see them made more effective, with a longer basic range, and possibly 2 shots so they can kill more than 3 models standing in the open.

eldargal
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Yes, the Lynx is definitely different, the WH being a Falcon chassis the Lynx being much larger. I was just thrown by the initial appearance of similarity of design.:)

Albavar
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Bah! Work filter prevents me from checking, but I thought I had heard the Spectres were supposed to be Jet- rather than Jump- packs. JSJ could raise utility a bit I'd think.

Archon Charybdis
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, they do have jet packs, but they're still a squishy, 12'' range unit with a maximum of 5 shots a round.

Defenestratus
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
People who say that they are squishy... seriously need to find some LOS blocking terrain and use ONE MODEL to JSJ from around a corner, smack a predator or dreadnought in the face and then run back behind cover when the job is done.

Gotthammer
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
"A Warp Hunter is a Heavy Support choice for an Eldar
army and an Eldar Corsairs army."

Eeeeenteresting......

Archon Charybdis
01-19-2011, 12:21 PM
People who say that they are squishy... seriously need to find some LOS blocking terrain and use ONE MODEL to JSJ from around a corner, smack a predator or dreadnought in the face and then run back behind cover when the job is done.

If you're popping tanks, using your potential 60'' range from the other side of the board is all the defense you really need. Also, for ~200pts I can think of better options to pop tanks. The problem is for using them to shoot infantry. A lateral jump to get out of LOS isn't going to protect you from assault--you're still within 12''. Even if you jump 6'' straight back you're still within assault range for many units, and the damage you've done with your 5 shots isn't going to stop most units.

Bigred
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Exactly Archon,

The eldar already have better options for popping a tank at long range. The last thing they need is a slow moving aspect that kills tanks with no range. Dragons already do that, while Spiders have both mobility, heavier armor, and higher rate of fire mid-strength weapons.

So my real problem with the Spectres, is they dont do anything that the other Aspects already do better,and they are very pricy.

Ideas for giving them a purpose: (to be evaluated individually, not all at once)

-Midrange shooters :give that gun a 24" range and they can do pop-up tricks all day long and not get assaulted the next turn.

-Anti-horde, give them all flamer templates, so they can melt away hordes

-3+ Armor, or cheaper price. These guys are heavy bolter bait, with no speed, or range to deal with it.

-Give the guns a small blast, and the combo shot a large blast to make the payoff awesome if they can get in range to take the shots.

Frankio9
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes! Yes Yes Yes!

DrLove42
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Possibly the best looking models in the eldar line (and that ain't easy) but my god are their rules kind of crap after thinking about it for a while.

The invulnerable save is nice and it is nice to see the Haywire launcher in the Eldar but....

Heavy weapons that are tiny range....relentless is nice but still. Can you use jetpacks after firing a heavy weapon, even with relentless

Everything they do is done better by someone else;
Killing Terminators and tanks close range use Fire Dragons...or for the same points cost Wraithguard.
Killing Armoured Guys (thats marines) use Reapers
Killing Tanks at range...bright lance on everything

Give the ghostlight (which sounds so disney its comical) AP1 to make it better.
Give the prism lance the lance rule!
Everything Prism add range. Give them all multiple shots or blasts.

DarkLink
01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I like the rules for the specters a lot, though I think the basic weapon should have a bit longer range than 12". 35pts per models is too much, though. Eldar don't have vehicles that can fully block LOS to jump infantry units very well, meaning your opponent will be able to shoot it, and with T3 models a 4/5+ just doesn't cut it for that many points and that short a range. And while their guns are cool, they just aren't potent enough for that price.

I think 25pts each would be a much more balanced price. Maybe even ~20, though you'd have to playtest to see. Otherwise the vulnerability and short range firepower gives you little reason to take these over fire dragons in most cases.

You'll have to make extremely good use of the extra assault move if this unit wants to live past the turn they come in.

That said, totally sweet unit, and the concept behind the rules is awesome. Just adjust the price, and I'd add them to my Eldar army. After GKs come out, though;).

On the other hand, the Warp Hunter is also totally awesome, and isn't way overpriced. I will definitely give it a try.

scadugenga
01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Wow, finally some significant eldar love from FW.

Very impressed with the sculpts.

I can agree with some of the concerns re: the Spectres, but they still have lots of potential with cynosure to make sure that St 10 lance shot hits (almost) every time.

Finally, the eldar have the equivalent of the CTM/old 2nd ed pop up attack back.

Yes, they're pricey, but they are a spiffy alternative and thankfully do not need to be within 6" of a farseer for that all important guide.

The Warp Hunter just plain entertains. I concur, two please!

@Defenestratus: There's something just hinky with the Nightwing kit altogether. I had a nightmare getting my wings to cooperate upon assembly, until finally passing it off to a FW kit veteran friend who did something permanent to make them work (IE sweep forwards/backwards) without escaping the socket.

Still the sleekest, deadliest fighter in the GW 'verse, though. :)

GrenAcid
01-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Spectres:
Awesome minis/poor rules....alot of eldar have that problem.

WH
Good rules/awesome mini....more like this please.

isotope99
01-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Very impressed with these latest eldar models. They look good and (by forgeworld's standards) don't break the bank.

Agree that the spectres seem overpriced points-wise and in my view are likely only to see action as a 4/5 man squad popping off long range S9/10 Lance shots from behind LOS blocking terrain with the ghostlight shot.

A full squad plus exarch, cynosure and haywire launcher clocks in at a muscular 212 points and can fire a 48" range S9 lance at BS4 with reroll plus the Exarch's 36" haywire launcher as back up or a 60" S10 lance shot. If enemies get close they have their individual 12" S6, AP2 weapons as backup.

In summary, probably best in apocalypse games or when you know that your opponent is going to bring the heavy armour.

Defenestratus
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
@Defenestratus: There's something just hinky with the Nightwing kit altogether. I had a nightmare getting my wings to cooperate upon assembly, until finally passing it off to a FW kit veteran friend who did something permanent to make them work (IE sweep forwards/backwards) without escaping the socket.

Out of the three I have, ONE went together without Greenstuff needed underneath - thats just sad. Today I literally spent about an hour putting mine in a pot of almost boiling water to get it ... mouldable enough to fix.

I agree about it being awesomesauce though - my chaos buddies' helltalons are going to cry uncle.

Kage801109
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
:eek:Awsome models and i like the rules, would do better spare money next time...

the sleek design finnish of that Huntertank Chassis will struck me in my dreams to come soon this night!

Iwant that one!

by the way, my first comment here, but your place here is so much more comfortable than the boards i visited before,and its proper made up when it comes to search threads and themes, quiete cool really!

plus, you got also great lookin smillies, i `ve to admitt i like them a lot!

will go to bed now,
may the ether be silent tonight and that shadows dissapear for a while.

Bye. at your service,

Kage;)

Archon Charybdis
01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I think 25pts each would be a much more balanced price. Maybe even ~20, though you'd have to playtest to see. Otherwise the vulnerability and short range firepower gives you little reason to take these over fire dragons in most cases.

You'll have to make extremely good use of the extra assault move if this unit wants to live past the turn they come in.

That said, totally sweet unit, and the concept behind the rules is awesome.

I absolutely agree with 25ps a model, but the problem I see with keeping them as is and just dropping the price is the fact that they're taking up a valuable HS slot. The ghostlight is spiffy (though still only AP2), but beyond the cool factor I'm not sure there's any reason to take them over a Prism, Nightspinner, or Wraithlord. I think a few smallish tweaks to buff them would be more interesting than just dropping the price.

On the other hand, the Warp Hunter is also totally awesome, and isn't way overpriced. I will definitely give it a try.

It seems to me it's a touch overpriced for regular play, but in Apoc where it can ignore void shields and power fields it's spot on.

DarkLink
01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
I would make them cheaper, increase the max squad size to 10, and then allow them to combine shots freely rather than having all individually or all together.

So you could have them fire off in pairs, so a 10-man squad would get 5 str 7 ap 2 shots, or in threes for 3 str 8 shots and one str 6, or in fives for two str 10 shots. For 200-250pts, I think that would be a good amount of firepower for a reasonable cost, and with enough flexibility to compete with other heavy support choices.

Sorrowshard
01-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Great figs , specters cost too much `FAR too squishy , ANOTHER heavy support unit , overall meh , as is wont be putting hand in pocket, but want to so very much. It would kill me more to have them sitting on a shelf unused.

Hunter - look at that GUN , look at the rules , the GUN , the rules ..... you getting me yet ? pissy little fail D-blast is just plain awful , innaccurate and cover has rendered it not much to write home about , there is a reason no one uses batteries of the things ....... having two less and giving it a few more inches range does little to convince .

Big scary techno doom Gonne should be just that , its horribly meh as it is .and fails to do what the design suggests and bridge the gap between the support wep size and Cobra.

A few peeps myself included have emailed FW , as it does not bode well for IA11 , If you want some decent eldar support from what will likely be the only FW IA support for eldar ,and care about at least being able to compete on a level with the ever increasingly ridiculous imperial rules , please drop FW a , mail and lend some weight to getting things fixed as its still 'experimental'

Cheers

eldargal
01-20-2011, 04:18 AM
I have to admit the rules are pretty irrelevent for me, worst happens I'll proxy them as Swooping Hawks or even Dark Reapers. I'm still going to buy lots of all the Eldar things FW produce just to encourage them to do more.:rolleyes:

Anyone else think 'Aether Rift' sounds really sexy? Aether Rift.

Xanadu
01-20-2011, 06:41 AM
As Sorrowshard and Kirby have said, the rules for the shadow spectres are frankly pants. They need something to stand out from the S6 that we already have, and not to be a dodgy lance weapon. The squad needs to be able to choose between an anti-infantry blast or a precision lance. They also need to be FASTER, they'll just get left behind as things go around the board, and given that their gun is 12" range, I really can't see them getting close enough to kill things.

The Warp hunter needs either a large blast template and ffs make it ordnance - you shouldn't be able to get a cover save from that thing. It's also a might too expensive for what is effectively a Fire Prism you don't roll to penetrate with a strength value with.

I hope that the rules are changed with this stuff in mind. The models are so gorgeous, let the rules be so too!

... crosses fingers and hopes that the lynx isn't bad too. :(

Defenestratus
01-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm planning on shooting the warp hunters at things that cannot get cover saves on account of their massive size.

DrLove42
01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
... crosses fingers and hopes that the lynx isn't bad too. :(

Can kinda guess the Lynx's rules....

Super Heavy, 2 Structure points, with Titan Holofields, armed with 1 Pulsar.

DarkLink
01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Hunter - look at that GUN , look at the rules , the GUN , the rules ..... you getting me yet ? pissy little fail D-blast is just plain awful , innaccurate and cover has rendered it not much to write home about , there is a reason no one uses batteries of the things ....... having two less and giving it a few more inches range does little to convince .

I guess you missed the whole "template" part. The AP 2, always wound on a 2+ template? I'd say that more than makes up for any issues with the main gun.

Defenestratus
01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
I guess you missed the whole "template" part. The AP 2, always wound on a 2+ template? I'd say that more than makes up for any issues with the main gun.

Its also Str *, so you could put a shuriken cannon on the bottom, zoom around 12" unload both the Arther Rift (which while make anything on the board cry) and also unload a shuriken cannon at them to clean up the mess.

Sorrowshard
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Did not miss it at all , Im not a fan of driving my tanks towards melta , having this just encourages it , its a last ditch attack not the main event.

Eldar struggle for reliable long ranged AT , this sucks at i,t so does not really contend with a prism , even my usual EML/pulsar falcon is going nowhere.

bigger template is in order as is a slight improvement to the D effect on vehicles , maybe 4+ penetrates ? or Ap 1 , its still gonna miss lots :confused:

Lovely lovely inspired model though

Xanadu
01-20-2011, 11:14 AM
I sent an email to Forgeworld, detailing my exact thoughts on 'fixes'... I hope they take notice, but if the Marines win this IA book too rules and fluff-wise, I'm going to be very annoyed.

@DrLove, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of too, I hope they pull through.

DrLove42
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Remember this book is going to "officialise" (not sure thats a word but i'm gonna use it anyway) the Achilles Landraider. Ignoring lances and stuff, this new tank is better than any eldar tech at penetrating it...

I've always thought the heavier D-Cannons (Cobra and Warp Hunter) are seriously not matching their fluff at all! I open a portal to the warp that engulfs your tank...and its no more dangerous than a laser beam...silly! It should be AP1 and large blast. Or have alternate firing modes....small blast AP1 or large blast AP2

Gotthammer
01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Remember this book is going to "officialise" (not sure thats a word but i'm gonna use it anyway) the Achilles Landraider.

Uh, IA10 did that a couple of weeks ago ;)

DrLove42
01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Whoops. Seeing as i don't play marines i've not read that book....

DarkLink
01-20-2011, 04:18 PM
bigger template is in order as is a slight improvement to the D effect on vehicles , maybe 4+ penetrates ? or Ap 1 , its still gonna miss lots :confused:

I will point out that Dcannons are actually better against AV 12, 13 and 14 than even lance weapons. Against any of those, a Bright Lance will glance on a 4+ and pen on a 5+. This will glance on a 3 or 4, and pen on a 5+.

You also need to only have a fraction of the blast touching a vehicle, meaning between the BS 3, 1.5" blast radius and we'll assume 2" maximum scatter before the template is no longer over the vehicle, you have a roughly 50% chance of staying on the vehicle even if you do scatter, which works out to a roughly 2/3 chance of hitting the vehicle in question. Against Land Raiders similar large vehicles, you'd have an even greater chance.

It's certainly not the solution to the Eldar's long range anti-tank problem, but it certainly doesn't contribute to the problem. Plus, you can use the rift template shot to hit multiple vehicles and have a decent chance of destroying them, not to mention the utility against infantry.

Ebsolom Dhaark
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Beautiful models! It's a shame that they both compete in an already crowded HS slot. Move Warwalkers to Fast Attack and give Falcons and Prisms the Squadron rule. Free up some space.

I'd be tempted to mount the Shadow Specters on small flying bases rather than have them hover over those rocky protrusions.

Xenith
01-22-2011, 01:05 AM
The Warp hunter needs either a large blast template and ffs make it ordnance - you shouldn't be able to get a cover save from that thing. It's also a might too expensive for what is effectively a Fire Prism you don't roll to penetrate with a strength value with.

Ordnance doesnt ignore, barrage does...and it's already barrage :)

The warp hunter I was undecided upon, and it actually gives eldar a way to deal with monoliths other than linked prisms. Nice if you can throw the blast over a squadron/parking lot and hit a few at the same time.

Spectres..well. The rules are a bit rubbish.

Maybe make all weapons

R24", S6, AP2, Heavy 1, Lance. [Gives a unit the option to glance a tank to death.]

Link Shot: The unit may combine fire. Pick one of the following options:

-Focussed: Nominate one model as the focal point the shot is fired from. Only one model in the unit may shoot this turn, and gains +1S to their prism lance for each additional model in the unit, to max S10.
-Dispersed: Only one model in the unit may shoot this turn. The shot gains the X" blast rule, where x is the number of models in the firing unit.

Special Rule:
Prism Loci - Any Spectre unit with LOS to a fire prism within 24" may resolve their shooting as if coming from the fire prism's prism cannon.

Exarch power: The exarch may forgoe his shooting attack to allow a fire prism within 24" count its prism cannon shot as twin linked this turn.

Xanadu
01-22-2011, 02:14 PM
@Xenith

I know - ignore that! I was so tired when I wrote that - slept 14 hours last night...

The profiles for the weapons you suggest are pretty much the exactly the same as the ones that I said in my email to Forgeworld. I hadn't considered incorporating the Fire Prism into their firing ability too - you're a smart one :).