PDA

View Full Version : New Stormraven (sprue Pictures)

addamsfamily36
01-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Here you go:

http://img809.imageshack.us/i/img0177uz.jpg/
http://img21.imageshack.us/i/img0174ji.jpg/
http://img835.imageshack.us/i/img0168ec.jpg/
http://img842.imageshack.us/i/img0176dp.jpg/
http://img522.imageshack.us/i/img0170xpa.jpg/

Shyft
01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
all 404ed

addamsfamily36
01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Fixed - not sure why they wouldn't load the first time

isotope99
01-16-2011, 12:20 PM
All but confirms that it will be included in the Grey Knights codex. Good to see all the BA weapon options included.

plawolf
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
More like confirming that it will be with the BA second wave wouldn't you say?

I really hope it wouldn't be too much of a faff to replace the top turret with a razorback one and maybe also get rid of the fugly hump on top...

isotope99
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
More like confirming that it will be with the BA second wave wouldn't you say?

I really hope it wouldn't be too much of a faff to replace the top turret with a razorback one and maybe also get rid of the fugly hump on top...

The book/sword icons (pic2) atre grey knights aren't they?

That top intake vent seems to be a separate piece.

Denzark
01-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Brother Ned: Wheres the T-Hawk?
Brother Zed: Parked that biatch somewhere round here, homes - here, ask that po-po over there?
Brother Ned: Excuse me, Officer, have you seen a 99 plate T-hawk, was parked here while we got some WD-40 for this kickin errant threads, been in action a while in this hood, you know the score.
Arbites: I'm sorry Sir, I had it towed.
Brother Ned: WTF!?
Arbites: You clearly parked in front of this hydrant, and it was here for 45 minutes...
Brother Zed: This is bullsh*t. Waste this 5-0 Mother-Fether.
Brother Ned ***** his crome plated bolt pistol - there is a large boom.

Some time later, at the hive pound...

Brother Zed (to Admech attendant) OK, OK, we've come for the 99 plate T-hawk - Ultramarine colours, some west coast custom oaths of moment hanging tight on the side. 500w subwoofer in the assault bay, 800 tera-watt defence laser on the back. I've got the fine here, pure imp scrips...
Admech Attendant interrupts: I'm sorry sir, but its at the crusher already.
Brother Zed: Sh*****iiiiii***t!
Admech Attendant: Yes, current policy is to render down unto the machine God within 3.57 standard irridium time cycles .. Er, Sir, what are you doing...
Brother Ned points bolt pistol. Large boom follows.

At the crusher, Brothers Ned and Zed are bewildered to see work has clearly started...

Brother Ned: Thats our ride!
Brother Zed (to Admech attendant 2) Oh, man, Sicarius is gonna be one pissed dude - you've greased his wheels.
Admech attendant 2: Sir, this was transferred from the pound after gggnnnfff. (stops as crome bolt pistol is inserted into his olfactory sensors.)
Brother Ned: Oh, thanks, the off button....(gasps)

Crusher opens to reveal squat, crushed, ugly looking T-hawk of approximately half dimensions... Cherubs appear from on high, echoing a celestial chorus of angels

A strange disembodied echo-ey voice is heard:

'And Lo, the Storm-Raven was born...'

MarneusCalgar
01-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the pics!!!

oldone
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
thanks for the pics
@denzark: yes sounds about right :D

geisthammer
01-16-2011, 02:01 PM
it looks a bit odd TBH. how much are they going to charge?

isotope99
01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Summary of components

Pic 1:
2* plasma cannon
Landing feet *4
2 main engine fans and 4 sets of 2 secondary thrusters
Front and rear ramps
2 side doors (it's not clear if these are land raider sized, they look too wide for a Rhino, but you'd assume they'd make it compatible with the FW doors)
Missile covers and some other hull plating

Pic 2:
Main engine tubes
Sides
4* Blood angel icons
4* Grey Knight icons (I think)

Pic 3:
Topside vent (can be repositioned)
4* missiles (tips only)
2 assault cannons
2 lascannons
2 multimeltas (barrels only)
2 H bolters (barrels only)
[It looks like the weapons are designed to be interchangeable without magnets]
Typhoon missile launcher
12 Hurricane bolters (unclear where these attach)
Topside turret and gunner/pilot
Tail section (still looks a bit small to me but it has an underside fin which probably helps

Pic 4:
Clear plastic windows

Pic 5:
Main body and wings

Things I can't see:

Attachment for valkyrie flying stand (presumably its built in)
Dreadnought grapple
Any special grey knight weapons

gcsmith
01-16-2011, 04:00 PM
GK probs get same options.
Also tempted to get one for ceastus assault ram

Bigred
01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Yup, I definitely see a pair of Blood Angel logo bits right next to the Grey Knight bits (a book bisected by a sword). Its a kit for either codex, and we've heard the unit entry is identical weapon-wise.

MarneusCalgar
01-18-2011, 05:22 PM
More pics!!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/IMG_1298.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/IMG_1297.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/IMG_1296.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/ancientgod/IMG_1295.jpg

Brass Scorpion
01-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Great pics, looks pretty good with an unobstructed view. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Gir
01-18-2011, 06:19 PM
I really like it. Wanna see it with a different top turret and no air intake though.

Tynskel
01-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I am curious to where the Hurrican Pattern Bolters attach. Also, it would be nice to see an ventral shot.

Defenestratus
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I am curious to where the Hurrican Pattern Bolters attach. Also, it would be nice to see an ventral shot.

The original picture of the storm raven, I believe had the hurricane bolters on and they were near the front where those downward angled vents are in the latest pics.

Gir
01-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Checked the sprues out at GW today. Few things:

Front door is the same as the Land Raider one.

Side doors are the same size as the rhino ones (So no new hurricane bolters on Land Raiders :( )

Hurricane bolters go on the side doors.

Forgot to check out the dread clamp.

Duke
01-18-2011, 11:53 PM
I am really liking this model... I was about 75% when I saw the GW pics, but this looks awesome... I want 7! (I know i can only have 3 in an army.)

Duke

Lockark
01-19-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm still convinced it would look fine if the engine/wing mounts were placed more forword so they were hanging over the doors. (Like the valk.) Seems like it would not be a hard conversion.

I'd like to see one of these next to a thunder hawk. (Could one kit-bash two together to make a convincing conversion?)

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Its Ugly, no its Fugly.
Seriously i think when the Techmarines or Mechanicus designed this thing they hired a BigMek from Orkdom. Its kitbashed, stupid design and its really ugly. How is anything like a flying brick like that to be majestic, and actually aerodynamic??

Gravidian
01-19-2011, 03:33 AM
I really really like this model!!!!! It looks so space marine! So hoping the Grey Knight codex works well with it as want to base my new GK's around multiple storm ravens.

Gir
01-19-2011, 05:01 AM
It's up for preorder on the GW site now. Slightly more expensive then a valkyrie.

DarkLink
01-19-2011, 09:28 AM
The front end is still too lunch-boxy, and the back where the dread would be throws of the proportions a bit, and the front and top vents and turret shouldn't be there, but other than that it looks good.

arjuna1080
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Here's a size comparison with a land raider. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v-jJLwPo5t8/TTez61BbghI/AAAAAAAAAF4/kc6GEaCQpm8/s1600/095.JPG I just put this thing together and I think its one of GWs better kits recently. I know some people were complaining that its boxy...... the only thing I can say to that is: its a marine vehicle of course its boxy. there are some more pics of it here: http://thewarmastersrevenge.blogspot.com

Brass Scorpion
01-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I just put this thing together and I think its one of GWs better kits recently. I know some people were complaining that its boxy...... the only thing I can say to that is: its a marine vehicle of course its boxy.I believe you are wiser than Master Yoda. ;) I've been thinking the same thing myself. All the whining over this model is just ridiculous. It's not the coolest model ever from GW, but it's not terrible either. I ordered one today. If it's great fun once I've got it and there's a chance to slip one into more than one Marine army, I may get another if not more.

arjuna1080
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah I liked this model from the first time I saw it I just couldnt understand all the criticism....
I think this thing will really shine in apoc.... am expecting to see atleast 1 formation centered around it. In apoc the points cost wont be so prohibitive, the mobility is very desireable, and it will almost certainly be a flyer too....

DarkLink
01-19-2011, 10:25 PM
We're not complaining that it's boxy, we're complaining that it looks stupid at certain angles. The reason it looks stupid is because it's too boxy, but they could have kept it boxy while making it look not-stupid from those angles.

Brass Scorpion
01-19-2011, 10:27 PM
We're not complaining that it's boxy, we're complaining that it looks stupid at certain angles. The reason it looks stupid is because it's too boxy, but they could have kept it boxy while making it look not-stupid from those angles. I seriously hope that at the very least the phrasing there if not the sentiment was meant to be facetious.

Gir
01-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Yeah I liked this model from the first time I saw it I just couldnt understand all the criticism....
I think this thing will really shine in apoc.... am expecting to see atleast 1 formation centered around it. In apoc the points cost wont be so prohibitive, the mobility is very desireable, and it will almost certainly be a flyer too....

Any chance of getting a photo of the dread clamp? (And maybe a mockup of dread in that spot?)

We're not complaining that it's boxy, we're complaining that it looks stupid at certain angles. The reason it looks stupid is because it's too boxy, but they could have kept it boxy while making it look not-stupid from those angles.

Everything looks stupid from certain angles.

Anggul
01-20-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm still convinced it would look fine if the engine/wing mounts were placed more forword so they were hanging over the doors. (Like the valk.) Seems like it would not be a hard conversion.

I'd like to see one of these next to a thunder hawk. (Could one kit-bash two together to make a convincing conversion?)

Indeed, it should have been like a smaller version of the thunderhawk, even the name suggests so, but they somehow messed it up by putting all of the mass on the front, and making the rear completely empty. They should have put the slot for carrying a dreadnought nearer to the middle, same for the wings, like a Thunderhawk carrying a land raider.

eldargal
01-20-2011, 04:13 AM
What does GW think they are doing, first they make some sleek looking Eldar vehicles, now they produce a boxy Space Marine vehicle. Next it will be ramshackle Ork vehicles, mark my words.:mad:

Unzuul the Lascivious
01-20-2011, 04:21 AM
IMO this model is hideous. I wouldn't field it if it was free.

Brass Scorpion
01-20-2011, 07:06 AM
What does GW think they are doing, first they make some sleek looking Eldar vehicles, now they produce a boxy Space Marine vehicle. Next it will be ramshackle Ork vehicles, mark my words.:mad: Someone had to say it. :)

Defenestratus
01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
pre-ordered three of them. Can't wait to get them.

DarkLink
01-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I seriously hope that at the very least the phrasing there if not the sentiment was meant to be facetious.

Umm... no, I pretty much meant what I said.

I think the model looks stupid from the angle in the announcement picture. It looks stupid because there's a giant lunchbox hanging off the front, connected to a pair of wings hanging out over empty space. By rearranging the model a bit, GW could have eliminated the stupid part, while retaining the boxy SM look.

My point, that you seemed to miss, is that the complaint against the Storm Raven is that it looks stupid, not that it looks too space Marine-ey. It could have been made not-stupid looking, while still looking like a space Marine vehicle.

arjuna1080
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
This is the dread grapple: its just a small panel you put underneath the tail, its not a claw or anything cool like that.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v-jJLwPo5t8/TTjKaE3bJRI/AAAAAAAAAGA/X72Ns1zfyRk/s1600/002.JPG
There's a pdf of the assembly instructions here: http://thewarmastersrevenge.blogspot.com

And it doesnt look stupid. Its a flying red fist of death just like the gw advert says.

Brass Scorpion
01-20-2011, 10:54 PM
pre-ordered three of them. Can't wait to get them.Cool! I ordered one already and someone is giving me another nice new one in trade for some collectibles. With all those weapon options on the sprue I think it will be a fun kit with lots of good leftovers for converting.

My point, that you seemed to miss, is that the complaint against the Storm Raven is that it looks stupid, not that it looks too space Marine-ey. I didn't miss your point, but I think you missed mine. Am I being condescended to here? It kind of feels that way. To put it as delicately as I can, my point was that the sentence in question was not a well constructed sentence making a salient point though the disdain for the Stormraven model was quite clear. I thought perhaps the phrasing was done in a silly, repetitive way for intentional humor, I guess I was incorrect. It goes around and around without saying anything other than the model is "stupid" and "boxy" numerous times. Here it is again for everyone's amusement:

Time to move on I think. :)

Spy_Smasher
01-22-2011, 05:22 PM
This is the dread grapple: its just a small panel you put underneath the tail, its not a claw or anything cool like that.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_v-jJLwPo5t8/TTjKaE3bJRI/AAAAAAAAAGA/X72Ns1zfyRk/s1600/002.JPG
There's a pdf of the assembly instructions here: http://thewarmastersrevenge.blogspot.com
Eugh. That's disappointing.

After much consideration, I am in the "Stormraven Sucks" camp. I really don't like anything about it.

Congrats to those of you who like it but I am now faced with the decision of whether to try to redeem it somewhat with some fairly extensive converting or to bite the bullet and test my modeling skills with a full scratch-build.

Tynskel
01-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Umm... no, I pretty much meant what I said.

I think the model looks stupid from the angle in the announcement picture. It looks stupid because there's a giant lunchbox hanging off the front, connected to a pair of wings hanging out over empty space. By rearranging the model a bit, GW could have eliminated the stupid part, while retaining the boxy SM look.

My point, that you seemed to miss, is that the complaint against the Storm Raven is that it looks stupid, not that it looks too space Marine-ey. It could have been made not-stupid looking, while still looking like a space Marine vehicle.

do you think the CH-54 looks stupid?

DarkLink
01-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Heck, yeah, the CH54 looks fugly :p

I didn't miss your point, but I think you missed mine. Am I being condescended to here? It kind of feels that way.

I'm going to presume that your comment wasn't intended to sound as critical of my grammar as it sounded to me when I first read it. I'm thinking there was a miscommunication, and now we both feel like we're being insulted.

To clarify, I expressed my opinion that the Storm Raven looks stupid and boxy. Those are separate traits, however, and can be separated. I feel that, with some tweaks to the overall design, GW could have retained the boxy SM look while losing the stupid part.

I wasn't quite sure what your initial reply to that was intended to mean, so I reaffirmed my opinion defensively. I think your intent didn't translate over the internet and so I missread your comment as being a little condescending, however, and so I responded defensively.

So, none of my comments were intended to cause any insult. I meant simply to defend my opinion, and I think some miscommunication stemmed from there.

Time to move on I think. :)

Yeah, I think it is. If not I think we might be able to start an unintentional flame war, while neither of us act in the capacity of an aggressor or troll:).

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-23-2011, 12:56 AM
Am still at a loss why either the Techmarines or the Adeptus Mechanicus would build a squat version of the Thunderhawk that has served admirably for thousands of years.
It's hardly, sturdy, maintainable and they already have the plans to make new ones by the dozen on Mars. Why, create a boxy, mini version so limited.

What it carries 12 SM's and a dreadnought.
Thunderhawk carries 30 SM's, and if you carry a dreadnought it still can carry 25 SM's. Is heavy armed and armoured, can a D strength weapon, lots of anti-personal and has Structure points.

Why would you want a Stormraven?
I still think some Ordo sanctioned Mekboy designed this thing, its like a squished version of the Thunderhawk, are GW telling us we wont be bringing out the Thunderhawk so here, enjoy its little brother instead?

Gir
01-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Am still at a loss why either the Techmarines or the Adeptus Mechanicus would build a squat version of the Thunderhawk that has served admirably for thousands of years.
It's hardly, sturdy, maintainable and they already have the plans to make new ones by the dozen on Mars. Why, create a boxy, mini version so limited.

Thunderhawk carries 30 SM's, and if you carry a dreadnought it still can carry 25 SM's. Is heavy armed and armoured, can a D strength weapon, lots of anti-personal and has Structure points.

I still think some Ordo sanctioned Mekboy designed this thing, its like a squished version of the Thunderhawk, are GW telling us we wont be bringing out the Thunderhawk so here, enjoy its little brother instead?

It was a discovered STC that had perfect applications in the Blood Angels. Why wouldn't they use it?

arjuna1080
01-25-2011, 01:10 AM

Economy of force.... If you can get the job done with a regiment, you dont send a division. Its too expensive, and it ties down resources in a place where they might not be needed. Why send a thunderhawk with 30 guys when you can send a stormraven with 10 and get the same job done? If you send those 20 space marines some place they arent needed, they arent available to fight in other areas where they are. It would be wasteful of limited resources.

There are also business reasons. This thing is like a mini-thunderhawk that you can use in your regular games. The actual thunderhawk is too big and powerful for normal games. And its price point means that only the more committed gamers will buy it, since its got to be at least $100 if they ever make it in plastic, if not (probably) more.

I think what they've done with this model makes alot of sense.

FastEd
01-25-2011, 04:09 AM
While I'm not a fan of the end result of the stock Stormraven, after poking at it a bit in person I think it has a lot of potential, and could be fixed with a hobby saw, some plasticard, and a little elbow grease.

I'm just having a hard time suspending disbelief to the levels needed for the stock build. The hull awfully front heavy, but doesn't seem to have a way to support the poorly distributed weight as the front has an identical thrust mechanism as the rear/wings. On top of that, the turret on the top doesn't make all to much sense as it's downward line of fire would be so restricted by the main hull getting in the way. Top mounted aircraft turrets are really designed for point defense against other airborne craft attacking from the blind spot above and to the rear of the craft.

That said, I think the interior looks decent, and overall I see what they were trying to do. I think if I end up dropping the dough for one I'll extend the hull a bit and bring the wings forward some. Maybe try to do something about the mounting of the wings, since the engines aren't integrated and inline with them it feels a bit unstable. Then it's just a matter of getting a nice Dreadnought mount going, which may just come down to installing magnets in/behind things.

Daemonette666
01-25-2011, 04:27 AM
IMO this model is hideous. I wouldn't field it if it was free.
I thought this model looked hideous when I saw one that was put together at my local gaming shop about 2 or 3 months ago.

FastEd
01-25-2011, 04:48 AM
I thought this model looked hideous when I saw one that was put together at my local gaming shop about 2 or 3 months ago.

You sure that wasn't one of the custom scratch builds that were popping up all over the place? The black box that contained the actual model got to stores this month.

Brass Scorpion
01-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Why do we have two threads filled with hate and whining about the Stormraven? One would be enough for most forums. Is it so people can compare which one is the most acrimonious, this thread or the other one (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12918)?

plawolf
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Why do we have two threads filled with hate and whining about the Stormraven? One would be enough for most forums. Is it so people can compare which one is the most acrimonious, this thread or the other one (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=12918)?

Because there is just too much hate for just one thread. Simples. ;)

Billyjoeray
01-25-2011, 09:57 AM

To be perfectly fair, the other thread was started with the intention of whining about rules and then it devolved into "TEH STORMRAEVAN LOOKZ DUMB LOLZ". This thread was already whining about how it looked from the start. I think it looks kinda cool, but then again I like space planes in my 40k so I am pretty easy to please.

addamsfamily36
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
To be perfectly fair, the other thread was started with the intention of whining about rules and then it devolved into "TEH STORMRAEVAN LOOKZ DUMB LOLZ". This thread was already whining about how it looked from the start. I think it looks kinda cool, but then again I like space planes in my 40k so I am pretty easy to please.

Erm i'm sorry, but go back to the very beginning. It was a news post. One which has turned (but did not start from the off) into a debate about the "looks" of the stormraven.

Im surprised this thread is still going.

Brass Scorpion
01-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Im surprised this thread is still going.My experience is that things are quite a bit more lenient here than at most other forums. In most places there would have already at least been warnings about staying on topic, followed by thread closure if ignored.

addamsfamily36
01-25-2011, 04:18 PM
My experience is that things are quite a bit more lenient here than at most other forums. In most places there would have already at least been warnings about staying on topic, followed by thread closure if ignored.

personally, i don't mind threads going off topic (within reason). if one subject has ended and another starts from it, then i see no reason to end one and just start another for the sake of a title.

But i dislike it when threads become just pointless arguing or debate, especially when there is already a thread for the same topic.

Tynskel
01-25-2011, 06:46 PM
there are topics to the forums on BoLS?

I'd better switch forums!