PDA

View Full Version : Does Sliscus allow Deepstrike and assault?

Weafwolf
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I know I saw this on an earlier thread where it seemed to be a bit controversial and I can't find it anymore. My friend plays DE, and I let him use Sliscus to deepstrike and assault one game, mostly because I was curious to see if it was really overpowered. I actually won the game even though he had Lilith wiping out units the moment she arrived. I assumed the question would be FAQed. It wasn't. I assume, therefore, that no one really tries to use Sliscus to allow units to assault when they arrive.

And yes, I know what the rule book says. I'm really just trying to find out if it is commonly understood that Sliscus can't be used in this way.

Thanks.

somerandomdude
01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
The new FAQ that came out (for the base rulebook) says that units in transports that deep strike also count as deep striking.

dannyat2460
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
indeed the faq does say that

MaltonNecromancer
01-14-2011, 06:31 PM
No, you can't do it. Being able to Deep Strike and assault would be extremely powerful - Deep Strike is one of those really tricky things to use well, and if you could assault straight from it, it would be on the edge of broken. It would also turn SM Vanguard into an overpriced Assault Squad.

About the only thing I would like to be able to Deep Strike and assault is the Lictor. The fact it can't always makes me think of the guardsmen it's about to eat going:

"FRAK!!! A LICTOR!!!"

"Oh no! Oh, hang on, wait... What's it doing?"

"Seems to be... ineffectually launching it's spiky nipples at us sir."

"Is there some reason we're not shooting at it?"

"Nonewhatsoever sir."

"You men there! The chap with the tentacles: five rounds rapid."

If Lictors could assault when they arrived, they'd be much more in line with the fluff. Still, balanced better the way they are - keeps them more tactical, less "fire-and-forget".

somerandomdude
01-14-2011, 06:37 PM
No, you can't do it. Being able to Deep Strike and assault would be extremely powerful - Deep Strike is one of those really tricky things to use well, and if you could assault straight from it, it would be on the edge of broken. It would also turn SM Vanguard into an overpriced Assault Squad.

About the only thing I would like to be able to Deep Strike and assault is the Lictor. The fact it can't always makes me think of the guardsmen it's about to eat going:

"FRAK!!! A LICTOR!!!"

"Oh no! Oh, hang on, wait... What's it doing?"

"Seems to be... ineffectually launching it's spiky nipples at us sir."

"Is there some reason we're not shooting at it?"

"Nonewhatsoever sir."

"You men there! The chap with the tentacles: five rounds rapid."

If Lictors could assault when they arrived, they'd be much more in line with the fluff. Still, balanced better the way they are - keeps them more tactical, less "fire-and-forget".

I agree 100% with this, as well as Deathleaper (obviously) and Marbo.

I mean, they're in the trees, man. It's not like it just arrived... it was there all along, just like Ymargls.

For the record, they could assault in the previous codex.

Tynskel
01-14-2011, 06:55 PM
and the codex before that

I am not sure why they nerfed the lictor. It cost more than anything else, but its abilities don't benefit anything until after it is on the table (which it IS already on the table...)

don't get me started about one of my favorite units since second edition!!!!!

Necron_Lord
01-14-2011, 08:18 PM
No, they can't assault. Summoned Daemons for CSM are one of the few units who can assault on the turn they deep strike from reserve. Sorry.

One thing which Duke Sliscus does allow you to do is deliver shooty units in range to alpha strike. The retrofire jet upgrade for transports is restrictive in that the inhabitants can't disembark on the turn the vehicle deep strikes. Deep striking vehicles count as moving at cruising speed, and there is no rule stating that units cannot disembark. Actually, the deep strike rule in BRB p 95 says they can explicitly. Therefore your trueborn can get their shots off. Retrofire jets won't allow you to do that, however. Maybe that's why it's only 5 points.

Weafwolf
01-14-2011, 08:46 PM
The new FAQ that came out (for the base rulebook) says that units in transports that deep strike also count as deep striking.

Got it. I missed that one. Thanks!