PDA

View Full Version : nightwing or phoenix as razorwing or voidraven

geisthammer
01-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Im looking to buy ether a nightwing or phoenix as a razorwing or voidraven proxy. but i have a few questions.
1, are the 2 shuriken cannons on the front easy to replace?
2, never bought a forge world mini before or put one together, so some tips please?
3,what should I use for the monoscythe/necrotoxin/shatterfield missiles?
4,do FW minis come with there own bases?

any help would be appreciated.

isotope99
01-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Can't speak for the nightwing, but as far as the phoenix goes:

The model looks fine for a void raven but in my opinion is too large for a razorwing where the nightwing fits better.
It is easy to assemble as it's almost all one piece with a few extra fins
The shuriken cannons aren't hard to get off but it's a bit tricky to fit lances in their place.
It does not come with a base but the valkyrie flying base fits OK (I cut mine a bit shorter for stability).
There are missile pods built into the underside which coudl represent the void mine. (shower of missiles instead) and/or the one shot missiles if you don't want to model them. Alternatives are probably the eldar missilie launchers and/or the fire prism nightspinners from bits sites . I have used both. They are easy to magnetise to the underside.
Assembly it's the usual FW tips:
a) Clean the model before painting with washing up liquid or similar or the paint won't stick.
b) Be careful when cutting to avoid shattering the resin.
c) Fill any gaps with green stuff for strength and smoothness

geisthammer
01-14-2011, 06:11 AM
are the shuriken cannons in place already or do you have to stick them. Could i use a dremmel to remove them if there already in place...or is that overkill??

isotope99
01-14-2011, 07:16 AM
They're already in place but not incredibly difficult to remove and then file down. I think I used a stanley knife and a regular file.

geisthammer
01-14-2011, 08:21 AM
should i use both pinning and green stuff for stability and how easy/safe are they to transport??

isotope99
01-14-2011, 08:41 AM
The only vulnerable joint is the base. You might be able to magnetise with a powerful magnet and careful siting under the centre of gravity.

I've never actually transported mine (it's not finished) so I can't comment on how breakable it is. Mine is currently superglued with a seal of GS.

geisthammer
01-14-2011, 08:45 AM
thanks isotope you have helped a bunch. think am going to get the nightwing

rustbucket
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
I totally agree, the nightwing is the better choice for use as a razorwing. Scale appropriate and for a FW model cost is pretty good. The only downside will be that you may need to boil some of the pieces to straighten them out (the wings and the lances) That's what I had to do with mine. Other than that it's a nice looking model when all's said and done. My buddy painted one of his up as a razorwings and it looks GOOD as a DE flyer!