PDA

View Full Version : THOSE HULLS. Eldar (any) vs. Black Templars

thecactusman17
01-13-2011, 12:28 AM
"So," I asked my opponent earlier tonight, "How good was this list? I realize that I was having trouble with your land raiders, but what did you think otherwise?"

"Dude, if it weren't for the inability of your lance weapons to work, I'd have probably been wiped off the table by turn three."

For those who don't know, there are two weapons platforms in standard 40k that ignore the Lance rule. Monoliths are one, and Black Templars have another, the "Blessed Hull" upgrade. In each case, firing on these AV14 vehicles with a lance weapon does nothing to reduce the armor value of the target. And so tonight, I lost severely to a player who made the smart tactical decision to load up his Blessed Land Raiders and rush them across the board to my objectives, which proved to be far more resilient than my massed Dark Lances could deal with.

Those of you playing as the Superior Races, what do you do to stop these things dead?

somerandomdude
01-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Heat Lances can still work wonderfully. Even though you don't get the benefit of the lance rule, you still can penetrate on a 9+ thanks to melta, which is much better than the Dark Light glance-only option. With the added mobility of Reavers, you have a very effective Blessed Hull destroyer. Also, Haywires (both Grenades and Blasters) give you a lot of results, so Wyches or Scourges loaded up with those would be nice. Generally, if I'm not running multiple beast squads, I'd go with a group of Scourges with Haywire Blasters and one or two groups of Heat Lance Reavers.

Also, Harlequins have the standard strength 8 melta (even though it's a pistol). If you're running a WWP army (I doubt it by your post) then they are phenomenal as a bodyguard for your Haemonculus.

thecactusman17
01-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Decent call on the Harlies in particular--I don't run Haemonculai, but I DO run Harlequins on occasion. They serve as an excellent way to further protect an Archon and Harlies with FNP are pretty powerful.

Gauthic
01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Haywire Grenades, Singing Spears & Wraithcannons

Splug
01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Fire dragons > Land Raider. If it's non-forgeworld vehicle, dragons are probably the answer. The Avatar loves him some vehicle smashin' too. If throwing a giant flaming sword into the hull doesn't blow it open, a S6 MC on the rear armor still might.

Wraithlords can also make a mess of pretty much any vehicle in the game, but they're much harder to move into range... and will likely be hitting on 6's unless you can immobilize the thing somehow. I'd imagine Talos have the same situation. Wraithguard have a slightly better threat range, and get to hit on 3's reliably (often with guide), but the 3-4 glance / 5-6 penetrate can be a bit dodgy.

Scourges with Haywire Blasters should be enough to at least knock a few guns off. Glancing on 2 is better than glancing on 6. You may even get lucky and score a penetrating hit.

DarkLink
01-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I was gonna say, Eldar don't have much to worry about from Land Raiders. Fire Dragons love Land Raiders. It's masses of light armor that Eldar worry about.

BuFFo
01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Haywire Grenades/Haywire Blasters and Heat Lances work just fine.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
01-14-2011, 11:12 PM
So does Ramming speed lol

Xas
01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
if your oponent tailors his list by getting an upgrade that is worthlessa gainst 96% of the games you can tailor by getting desintegratos instead of lances and shock prows.

ram the 2-3 raiders he has to oblivion and then use the rest of your raiders/ravagers with s5 ap2 love to fry the insides :D

Archon Charybdis
01-15-2011, 12:35 PM
if your oponent tailors his list by getting an upgrade that is worthlessa gainst 96% of the games you can tailor by getting desintegratos instead of lances and shock prows.

ram the 2-3 raiders he has to oblivion and then use the rest of your raiders/ravagers with s5 ap2 love to fry the insides :D

I like where this man's head is at!

And people shouldn't discount the Talos. With a TL haywire blaster or heat lance, and chainflails for more attacks, it should do a good job of popping LRs.

Da Gargoyle
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Vis a vis the Blessed Hull upgrade, does it have exactly the same impact as the Monolith living metal hull ? If so the upgrade is not so limited as Xas might say. The monolith does not just prevent modifiers on lance weapons, it prevents melta's from using the extra penetration die at half range, which means 6's to glance. You can't even use two dice for a melta bomb despite the fact that the rules list this as its base profile. If the Blessed Hull has the same effect then it is useful against many armies.

I play eldar and would rely on wraithguard. Deliver them in a wave serpent and rely on shots. Also equip your warlock with a singing spear.

I am sure dark eldar have some equally fiendish tools on hand for the job.

DarkLink
01-21-2011, 11:27 PM
It does not grant the same set of rules as the Monolith.