PDA

View Full Version : Necron Warscythe v. Dark Eldar Shadow Field

Necron_Lord
01-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Since I play both necrons and dark eldar, I was wondering what would happen if a Necron Lord was in CC with an Archon. Namely, if a Necron Lord attacked an Archon in CC with a warscythe, it would ignore invulnerable saves (and therefore the shadow field) and any wound it inflicted would be unsaved but not cause instant death. For the shadow field, it says that for the shadow field to short out, it has to fail a save. In this case, would the Archon still have the shadow field after receiving wounds from a Necron Lord with a warscythe? RAW, I would think so as it didn't fail any save.

Has anyone encountered this situation yet, and if so, how was it resolved?

addamsfamily36
01-12-2011, 09:22 PM
From what you say, i would agree that you have it right in RAW

The Necron weapon ignores the invulnerable save. the shield that gives the invulnerable only loses its ability if you fail a save. seeing as you cannot take a save, then the shield is still in play.

Just look at it as the warscythe being made of a material that simply passes through the shield or something lol (i robot if anyone understands that reference)

Caldera02
01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes, the same as the Assassin round that penetrates the invul save.(current edition)

DarkLink
01-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I agree. It's of mild concern to me as well, as I play Grey Knights. Though hitting an archon with a str 6 shot that ignores invulnerable saves means you don't need to worry about it at all, I guess:rolleyes:

addamsfamily36
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM
i liked the last comment a lot :)

Tynskel
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
one type of failed save is one that you automatically fail because it is ignored. Power Weapons 'ignore' armor saves. They are considered automatically failed saves.

BuFFo
01-13-2011, 01:43 PM
one type of failed save is one that you automatically fail because it is ignored. Power Weapons 'ignore' armor saves. They are considered automatically failed saves.

page number and rule please? I would like to see where a weapon that ignores an invulnerable save counts the defender as 'failing a save'.

Necron_Lord
01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm going with the Archon keeps the shadow field until I see something to the contrary in an FAQ. Cheers!

somerandomdude
01-13-2011, 02:32 PM

If a model with a Shadow Field failed a Dangerous Terrain test, would he lose his SF? He took a wound with no saves allowed.

How can you fail something that never happened?

Archon Charybdis
01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
If a model with a Shadow Field failed a Dangerous Terrain test, would he lose his SF? He took a wound with no saves allowed.

How can you fail something that never happened?

Actually you can take invuln saves against dangerous terrain, but I still agree with your assertion!

somerandomdude
01-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Actually you can take invuln saves against dangerous terrain, but I still agree with your assertion!

Thanks for pointing that out, I've been playing this incorrectly forever.

Archon Charybdis
01-13-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, I've been playing this incorrectly forever.

I see a lot of people do that, someone told me it was a change from 4th ed though I'm not certain on that.

Connjurus
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I see a lot of people do that, someone told me it was a change from 4th ed though I'm not certain on that.

It is.

GrenAcid
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
IMO you still have save afther hit by warscyte, and when by some reason as DE fight Necron(no body to torment=no fun=no fighting against IMO) bring clone field on Archon:p

Tynskel
01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
IMO you still have save afther hit by warscyte, and when by some reason as DE fight Necron(no body to torment=no fun=no fighting against IMO) bring clone field on Archon:p

There is still torment. The Necrons all have souls with eternal life. The Dark Eldar will figure out ways to drain those souls.

How about this--- 50% reduction in memory. compounded. Each time compressing what's left. I think that would drive a necron insane. Don't forget pulling specific memory cores to purposely leave partial memories intact. You could come up with all sorts of ways to torture a machine with a soul.

addamsfamily36
01-13-2011, 10:06 PM
lol threaten to update them to windows vista

dannyat2460
01-14-2011, 06:55 AM
lol threaten to update them to windows vista

I think update is the wrong word lol :p

addamsfamily36
01-14-2011, 12:16 PM
downgrade?

BuFFo
01-14-2011, 11:26 PM

Dark Eldar can extinguish stars, weaken stars, capture stars and bring them into pocket dimensions for near unlimited power. Dark Eldar can capture/create black holes and put them in objects the size of beds.

I am sure the Dark Eldar are easily capable of finding torment from a robot.