PDA

View Full Version : Honest question

RedWidow
01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
So, would you be willing to play against an army where these (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=93&zenid=de0401a38832e014cf568ff5a1056535) were subbed as forge world thud guns?

I want to run an artillery battery with three units of thud guns. Is this an acceptable substitution.

Culven
01-12-2011, 07:13 PM
I want to run an artillery battery with three units of thud guns. Is this an acceptable substitution.
Thudd Guns are more like a Bofors than a gatling gun. If I saw that on the table, I would keep thinking it was an Assault Cannon or Punisher.

BuFFo
01-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I would be more wary of you using FW rules than this model, but as to your question, no, I wouldn't mind at all.

scadugenga
01-13-2011, 07:00 AM
It would be no different than you substituting home made conversions for artillery or something off of chapterhouse/paulson and the like.

As long as it's clearly identified/recognizable, I don't see what the problem would be.

And yeah, what Buffo said about FW rules. :) They're a bit...skewed at times.

Laodamia
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree with Culven, this model does not really look like a thud gun. In fact FW's quad launcher look more like an automatic heavy mortar than a machinegun or gatling gun, but I don't know much about the rules for FW's quad launcher, so I cannot really be a judge of that.
However, if I were you, I would rather use it as a heavy stubber or autocannon for my heavy weapons team.

HsojVvad
01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
I have no problem playing agaisnt you with that. Just tell me what it is, and then game on.

Lockark
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
I will level with you.

I don't mind proxies, and I love good "count-as".

If I remember correctly the Thud gun is a indirect fire weapon. If your just going to proxy something in to try them out, then use any model you already own that's close enough in size. Don't spend money on something that' only meant to be a proxy.

If you want to do a "count-as" try to find a alternative model that makes abit more sense.

If you were going to proxy that for anything from the FW books I'd think a maby a Twin-linked Heavy Stubber.
*Shrugs*

If you want to use them for the sake of useing them in a regular game say there Heavy Bolters or Auto-Cannons. Just make sure your consistent with your count-as.

Daemonette666
01-16-2011, 10:53 PM
So, would you be willing to play against an army where these (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=93&zenid=de0401a38832e014cf568ff5a1056535) were subbed as forge world thud guns?

If your opponent accepts them as thudd guns great, but most would not. 10.00 pounds sterling for 1 is cheaper then the Forge world 20.40 pounds fro their thudd gun IA-GUA-T-084., but if you got the quad guns from the Planet Strike fortifications pack and cut the autocannon barrels down, then they would look alot closer to thudd guns. Just add a gun shield, and a set of artillery wheels to tow it on.

steelmage99
01-17-2011, 01:06 AM
As a one-time deal just to try them out....sure. They are of comparable size and height. Go for it.

As a more permanent solution, they don't really scream "Thudd Gun" to me. A Thudd Gun is a four-barrelled mortar, not a mini-gun. It wouldn't prevent me from playing you as I would never presume to dictate what models another player uses (as long as it doesn't confer an undeserved in-game advantage).

I would have a bigger issue with you using IA rules than what model you use.

Chuck777
01-20-2011, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with it but many shops have an agreement with GW to only allow GW models in the tournaments they run, so be wary. :)