PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush and Compressor Advice

NobleSeven
01-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Hey guys! I have finally decided to break down and try my hand at airbrushing my vast horde of unpainted models and the sad gray Realm of Battle Board that has been sitting in my garage for months.

I started to do some research and was completely overwhelmed at how much goes into simply purchasing the right equipment for the job- much less learning to use it. I was wondering if any pros out there could give me some advice on what I want to invest in and some initial tips on painting my models.

As it stands I have my eye on a Badger 150 airbrush and either a Badger Whirlwind or Badger Cyclone Air Compressor. These are sold at Michaels and AC Moore and I have a few 50% off coupons so I felt like this would be a steal! However, I've heard that gravity fed airbrushes are the way to go and that small, tankless "hobby compressors" tend to overheat and give uneven flow which can ruin a paint job.

Anyone used these products for their own modeling? Any suggestions for something better if there is truth to the rumors?

Meph
01-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Well, to try and keep it brief, when buying a compressor, always go for something that's kitted out like this:
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Airbrush-Kompressor-KAS186-C-3L-Tank-Zubehorset-NEU-/190488412074?pt=Modellbauwerkzeuge&hash=item2c59fe7faa

They key elements here are:
1: An airtank, this will keep your pressure constant (critical!) as well as keep teh noise down. i have a compressor like teh one from ebay and it's actually pretty silent but in any case it shuts off when the tank is full and autostarts when the pressure drops.

2: A moisture trap (the glass jar/bottle thingy), this will keep the condense out of your airflow, meaning that you will not get any unexpected spatters and gurgles when airbrushing due to water in the airflow...

Buying a compressor without these two features is a waste of money.

For airbrushes, while I'm no expert on the dozens of brands out there, don't go for somethjing too cheap, don't go for something too expensive (yet). Personally I'd go for a double-action bottom feeder.
The dual action means that you can regulate air pressure as well as amount of paint at the same time and gives a good versatility. The bottom feeder means you can have a truckload of little jars with your own premixed paint read and switch quite easily between them. Be aware though that after each use of each colour you need a couple of minues to clean the airbrush in any case.

A single action airbrush is always a nice addition as well as the simpler mechanics emans it's a bit easier to use for heavy-duty stuff like undercoating and basecoating but personally i just use a spraycan for base coating and my dual action for basecoating as well as the finer stuff.

Invest is some extra pots for your airbrush when you buy it, about a dozen or so. Believe me, you will use them...
And buy some paint thinner and airbrush cleaner product. I personally am a huge fan of Vallejo's products for that, they also have both in large 20ml bottles, which is handy.

A gravity feeder airbrush is more handy for fine detail work as the little gravity cup is quite practical for small amounts of paint, but most bottom feeders also have a little 'bucket' for the smaller amounts of paint.

NobleSeven
01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Tankless compressors are a waste of money? I've read this from various people but I've also read where people swear by their quiet, tankless little compressors. You'd think for the price (around $200) that badgers hobby compressor specifically made for painting models and the like would work and work well.

Am I just better off buying a little pancake compressor w/tank from Walmart? They have one for around $50 now. Anyone use something like this?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-Hausfeld-1-Gallon-Air-Compressor/9189093?findingMethod=rr

Meph- thanks for all the info and tips. Really helps break into the hobby with some confidence!

TheBitzBarn
01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Spend 50 More Dollars and get a 3 gallon form same people for 100 dollars Much Nicer and you are not helping Wal Mart

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103500-43657-FP209599DI_0__?productId=1205535&Ntt=campbell+hausfeld&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcampbell%2Bhausfeld

FastEd
01-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Having a tank is fantastic, especially if you are doing work during hours when people may be asleep. Just shut off the compressor to tap the tank without it kicking the motor on to refill itself. While tankless is fine, you do sometimes get a very slight bit of irregularity from second to second as the motor spins, thus it's fine for huge base coating projects, but small detail is a little bit more difficult for the very delicate stuff. The thing about "silent" compressors is that they are very quiet, but only compared to other compressors.

NobleSeven
01-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey, thanks for all the good advice!

I'm looking at the second compressor- the one from Lowes. It is made by the same people and doesn't look like that much of an upgrade. Looks like the increase in cost covers the Nailer attachment and the extra gallon of air. Is there a huge difference in a 1 gallon to 2 gallon? Is it worth double the amount of the 1 gal? I know 50 dollars isn't a huge amount but -if- both compressors perform the same I could put that moolah towards models.

If one performs vastly superior than the other then that would be a point to purchase the 2 gal! Anyone had experience with the two?

Meph
01-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Well, I personally never used the two latest posted brands as I own the type as from the link I've shown from ebay so I can't comment on theit actual practicallity. One general rule of thumb with compressors is, it's well worth investing that little bit of extra money in a more capable machine. For that little bit of extra cash you get a much more reliable machine that will last you several decades if treated properly so it's well worth coughing up the gold now instead of buying a mediocre thing that might need replacement rather quickly due to failure or lack of usefulness.

Personally I'm suspicious off all 'handy & small' equipment as they almost always have to give up some reliability and capability for the size decrease. I feel you're better off with a 'normal' sized compressor and they don't have to be that big either. The one I've got is roughly 15cm x 30cm x30 cm, which is not that large but it purs like a kitten. So in short, don't be too skimpy on the compressor budget. You'll be keeping that piece of kit for decades to come, easily compensating for the increase in cost of the purchase now.

NobleSeven
01-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Update:
Took the 150 back and got a Badger Crescendo and couldn't be happier! I had a 50% off coupon from Michaels so it only cost me 65 dollars.
Lowes actually price matched the Campbell Hausfeld 2 Gal Compressor (linked above) that was on clearance at Wal-mart for 50 dollars! I saved 50! The set up works amazingly and I can't wait to see how quickly I can paint my armies and the Citadel Realm of Battle Board I have here in the garage. Tons of pics to come!
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1026/airbrush2.jpg

Meph
01-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Cool, happy spraying mate!

Two mantra's to remember, thin your paint and clean your airbrush like a fanatic after each colour. (By which i mean, spray water or airbrush cleaner through it untill the spray coming out is completely clear and from time to time tap your finger against the nozzle to force the spray inside the mechanism). Oh, and the cotton sticks to clean your ears are perfect to clean out the connector tube to which you connect your painting pots.
Anything to avoid taking it apart to clean... that's just annoying

Deathula
01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Im so glad you started this thread, I've been recently thinking about getting one myself, since I want to start plating fantasy again but really dont want to use spray paint on my Lizards, to my small places and cant get in aswell with a spray can.

EasyC
02-10-2011, 10:09 AM
This thread has been very helpful! Curious what people think of this airbrush, compressor combo?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/abdkitA3205.aspx

Im mainly looking for an airbrush, single action, so that I can base coat tanks, and troops quickly when I cant find a primer color that I desire.

Im trying to stay within the 100-150 US/dollar range for compressor and airbrush, seeing how I can get an airbrush on sale at most places (40-50% off)

Meph
02-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Seems like a decent piece of kit at first sight. Make sure you've got some empty pots for paint, because you'll want to keep your home-brews... Doesn't matter if they're little pots that match the 'hose lid' or if they're just regular little pots. (the first kind are a bit handier though).

One thing that strikes me is the price of those compressors. For instance the one with the tank, the AC500, is 286$... I paid 70EUR for a similar one from Germany (I myself live in Belgium), which would be roughly 1/3 of the price for a brand new compressor. I'd suggest looking around a bit, perhaps give Ebay a browse. I'm sure you'll be able to find something equally good but for a much friendlier price.

EasyC
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Well Michaels had their 50% coupon and these last two days and I settled for the Badger 200 kit, came with two pots, a longer hose, and a can of propellant. I think Ill be happy with the single action since I am really only looking to base my tanks and troops with it.

Im just stuck trying to decide on a compressor. I've been hounding the net looking over things and I have narrowed things down to 3 compressors.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIRBRUSH-AIR-COMPRESSOR-HI-PERFORMANCE-W-TANK-1-6-HP-/160552584018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561ae0352#ht_4590wt_889

This is the Airbrush Depot TC-20T and this is the cheapest I have seen it. I might be able to get it for 90 bucks, I found a cached auction from about a month ago.

But as has been mentioned I am very interested in these two campells:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-Hausfeld-1-Gallon-Air-Compressor/9189093?findingMethod=rr

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103500-43657-FP209599DI_4294795218_4294937087_?productId=120553 5&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Air%2BCompressors_4294795218_4294937087_%3FNs%3 Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_s old|1

I understand investing a bit more money pays off but Im still trying to keep costs to a minimum. I've read the reviews and Im just curious what the hobbiest that read this will say. Thanks for the input!