PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid - 1850 Points

lovell.harmon
01-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Any feedback/suggestions on my new Tyranid force. I usually play Necron, but can no longer wait for an updated Codex - I want to compete NOW!

1850 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Total Roster Cost: 1847

HQ: Hive Tyrant (1#, 235 pts)
1 Hive Tyrant, 235 pts = (base cost 170 + Hive Commander 25 + Armoured Shell 40)

: Tyrant Guard Brood (3#, 180 pts)
3 Tyrant Guard Brood, 180 pts = 3 * 60

Troops: Tyranid Warrior Brood (5#, 185 pts)
3 Tyranid Warrior Brood, 90 pts = 3 * 30
1 Tyranid Warrior, 40 pts = (base cost 30 + Barbed Strangler 10)
1 Mycetic Spore, 55 pts = (base cost 40 + Barbed Strangler 15)

Troops: Genestealer Brood (11#, 222 pts)
10 Genestealer Brood, 160 pts = 10 * 16 (base cost 14 + Scything Talons 2)
1 Broodlord, 62 pts = (base cost 60 + Scything Talons 2)

Troops: Termagant Brood (10#, 60 pts)
10 Termagant Brood, 60 pts = 10 * 6 (base cost 5 + Toxin Sacs 1)

Fast Attack: Ravener Brood (4#, 180 pts)
4 Ravener Brood, 180 pts = 4 * 45 (base cost 30 + Rending Claws 5 + Deathspitter 10)

Elite: Zoanthrope Brood (2#, 120 pts)
2 Zoanthrope Brood, 120 pts = 2 * 60

Heavy Support: Carnifex (2#, 255 pts)
1 Carnifex, 200 pts = (base cost 160 + TL Devourer w/Brainleech Worms x1 15 + Heavy Venom Cannon 25)

Heavy Support: Trygon Prime (1#, 240 pts)
1 Trygon Prime, 240 pts = (base cost 200 + Make Trygon Prime 40)

Heavy Support: Mawloc (1#, 170 pts)
1 Mawloc, 170 pts

I've played three games - one against Space Wolves, two against Dark Eldar. Right now the Army is 1-1-1 (the tie was with the Space Wolves). Someone in my gaming club made me a custom set of Mycetic Spores, complete with magnetic vines and large Barbed Strangler! The models are just a little larger than a drop pod and look soooo cooool...... I got 4 of 'em!

Lovell

Tynskel
01-10-2011, 07:27 PM
do you find that you use the Armored Shell a lot on the Hive Tyrant? I find that I do not. You could take a pair of devourers and Old Adversary for the points of the armored shell. That'll give your Tyrant two guns: Devourers and one Psychic Shooting attack, and the ability for all units within 6" to re-roll to hit--- which is awesome. Now, I am crazy and shovel out for a Thorax Swarm (I like the Rending Swarm), too. I also give my Guard Lash Whips...

My only real complaint about the list is a small selection of troops. But, then again, you are talking to a guy that has 100 Hormagaunts...

And the Carnifex...
have you considered the Screamer Killer? I love it!

195 Screamer Killer
Carnifex, Adrenal Sacs, Frag Spines, Bio-Plasma
55 Spore Pod w/ Barbed Strangler

granted, I have the original screamer killer model--- and I need to get 2 more to make a full brood.
But, a Plasma Cannon, plus 5 Re-rolling to hit Str 10 attacks at Initiative 4, going through Terrain, is awesome. Even Tanks that move x>6" you have a good chance of destroying on the charge.

newtoncain
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Any feedback/suggestions on my new Tyranid force. I usually play Necron, but can no longer wait for an updated Codex - I want to compete NOW!

1850 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Total Roster Cost: 1847

HQ: Hive Tyrant (1#, 235 pts)
1 Hive Tyrant, 235 pts = (base cost 170 + Hive Commander 25 + Armoured Shell 40)

: Tyrant Guard Brood (3#, 180 pts)
3 Tyrant Guard Brood, 180 pts = 3 * 60
Swarm lord with 2 guards is 400 vs your 415
Troops: Tyranid Warrior Brood (5#, 185 pts)
3 Tyranid Warrior Brood, 90 pts = 3 * 30
1 Tyranid Warrior, 40 pts = (base cost 30 + Barbed Strangler 10)
I don't usually use warriors, maybe a prime for an HQ to up BS/WS, also I've seen plenty of peaple coment over the net that warriors need BS/LW to be truely effective
Troops: Genestealer Brood (11#, 222 pts)
10 Genestealer Brood, 160 pts = 10 * 16 (base cost 14 + Scything Talons 2)
1 Broodlord, 62 pts = (base cost 60 + Scything Talons 2)
GS + BL is great, but I think you either run them base or with TS and or AG
Troops: Termagant Brood (10#, 60 pts)
10 Termagant Brood, 60 pts = 10 * 6 (base cost 5 + Toxin Sacs 1)
Usually run 20 of these and a tervigon (gon has TS/AG)
Fast Attack: Ravener Brood (4#, 180 pts)
4 Ravener Brood, 180 pts = 4 * 45 (base cost 30 + Rending Claws 5 + Deathspitter 10)
I don't use these, they seem to DS and get shot to heck before doing anything at all
Elite: Zoanthrope Brood (2#, 120 pts)
2 Zoanthrope Brood, 120 pts = 2 * 60
Nice, might need a pod
Heavy Support: Carnifex (2#, 255 pts)
1 Carnifex, 200 pts = (base cost 160 + TL Devourer w/Brainleech Worms x1 15 + Heavy Venom Cannon 25)
1 Mycetic Spore, 55 pts = (base cost 40 + Barbed Strangler 15)TLDS only, BS2 on the pod has pie plates drifting 2/3 time.
Don't use these anymore, 4 wounds = DOA, but like the poster above, TLD W/BLW in a pod is the way to go if you do you carnies
Heavy Support: Trygon Prime (1#, 240 pts)
1 Trygon Prime, 240 pts = (base cost 200 + Make Trygon Prime 40)
Add AG for 10, + Str can matter vs LRs
Heavy Support: Mawloc (1#, 170 pts)
1 Mawloc, 170 pts
Don't like these at all, one trick pony, run another Trigon Prime
I've played three games - one against Space Wolves, two against Dark Eldar. Right now the Army is 1-1-1 (the tie was with the Space Wolves). Someone in my gaming club made me a custom set of Mycetic Spores, complete with magnetic vines and large Barbed Strangler! The models are just a little larger than a drop pod and look soooo cooool...... I got 4 of 'em!

Lovell

MY comments are just do to how I play nids.

I think you need 2-3 tervigons and 3-6 Hive guard.

Best of luck

lovell.harmon
01-11-2011, 05:23 AM
[QUOTE=newtoncain;115022]MY comments are just do to how I play nids.

I think you need 2-3 tervigons ....

Where are you getting the Tervigon model?

Tynskel
01-11-2011, 08:40 AM
a tervigon is a large investment, and would require a rather large restructuring of your list.

Carnifex dead on arrival comment: every deep striking monsterous creature could be dead on arrival. That's not the point. It is the combination of 3 Deep Striking Monsterous Creatures on Turn 2 (very high probability) that changes which one lives and which one dies.

If you are going to go with a gunless Hive Tyrant, the Swarmlord is a GREAT choice.

I wouldn't listen to the Internets about Ravenors--- they are awesome, and when used correctly, they slaughter your opponent. They take some practice getting used to, but you have a substantial amount of large deep striking bugs, as well as up to 2 outflanking squads (or one outflank one infiltrate).

The ideas you have for your list are good. If you are going to try to take things, such as the Tervigon, you will have to reorganize your points to have creatures protect your investment. Your current list is designed to be in your opponent's face on turn 2 while a Tervigon list is designed to be in the opponent's face turn 4-5.

Cavscout
01-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I disagree about the swarmlord. Armored shell lets you shrug off Krak missles. Since the unit is primarily non-mc's, you will get a coversave from anything. coupled with the ability to make a save against a missle that normally will not allow saves keeps your guard alive longer. I would try to squeeze some points for lash whips on your guard. (personal opinion). Warriors are great. If I run for CC, I will give them either lash/bS or Dual BS/AG and sything talons. I don't like arming a CC nid with guns. The temptation to fire a weapon when you should be running every shooting phase is too strong. Ninja Fex's are great. So is 2xDevs/blw. So is one with a VC/St. It all depends on how you run them. Mycetic spore for the first two, hang back in terrain for the last. The only unit in the Nid book that I don't use is the pyrovore. On ravenors, I usually don't put guns. The results from the shooting never seems to justify taking those points from the rest of your list. Try it and see. May work for you. I never run units of Genestealers over 8 unless im running them up the board. I always outflank. They will either get to CC when they come on, or they will come in way out from the action...either way, thats lost points. 8 Genestealers on the charge is deadly to just about any unit. Love trygons, don't love mawlocs. I would just suggest to run what you like, and adjust for your experiences. I lost the first 15 games with my 4th editions nids. Have yet to be tabled with my 5th edition nids.

newtoncain
01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=newtoncain;115022]MY comments are just do to how I play nids.

I think you need 2-3 tervigons ....

Where are you getting the Tervigon model?

Take a Carny, make sure it has 4 sything talons, get some green stuff, 1 termigaunt.
Use greenstuff to mold termigaunt to the carny's belly, let it dry, prime and paint.