PDA

View Full Version : Eldar v Blood Angels

Calgar33
01-10-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a friend who is building a Blood Angels army, basically it is going to be made of 3 or 4 Land Raiders, a couple units to go in those Raiders and possibly a couple Storm Ravens. All in all its going to be a lot of high armor values and Low armor saves.
I've decided to start an Eldar army to combat this and as I have never played them I need some help.

Basically I want to make an extremely mobile army that can kill/cripple his units really quickly. As I don't have the Codex, I can only give a vague description of the army I would like to build.

Autarch with Fusion Gun
10 Dire Avengers/Exarch in a Wave Serpent with a Star Cannon
5 Fire Dragons/Exarch mounted in a Falcon with a Bright Lance
5 Fire Dragons/Exarch mounted in a Falcon with a Bright Lance
Viper with Bright Lance
Viper with Bright Lance
Fire Prism

Basically the plan is to have each of the Falcons and 2 Wave Serpents fly around in a pack and kill a Raider and it's unit in a turn. The Vipers and the Fire Prim will fly around and snipe other armored units.
Is this a viable army? Again I've never played Eldar before so any help would be awesome.

davel
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
ok sounds like a lot of points

star cannons struggle. they will force troopers in to cover. but ease of getting cover saves and low rate of fire has relegated it

I can't see him getting out of his transport for them to be of use. But you can play this game with 5 man DA squads who never come out of transports

bright lances are good for land raidersbut gains no advantage against storm raven, they would be better on serpents as twin linked. falcon may be better with EML it's cheaper can be fired defensively. Falcons should be getting the dragons where They need to be.

exarchs don't add any thing the points may be better spent on spirit stones

remember your tanks can generate high strength rams if you get desperate. You get a +3 save from his rams. blocking land raiders with serpents has won me games before.

fire dragon exarchs, probaly not worth it on their own but if you Know your going up against 4 land raiders, tank hunters may pay off.As you know LR in quantity working in a third squad may be an idea

vypers work best with scatter lasers lot of shots for low BS. If your lucky they may distract opponent from falcs but don't expect them to last long if they do.

Autarch is a good choice holding every thing in reserve if he gets first turn is a good move, put him in with DA squad

Fire prisms if you take one take two. If you have 2 seriously think about a third. with blast rules getting the center on a large tank is hard, with two you get a rereoll and it's st 10 and ap 1. Not to mention flexibility offered by combining large and small blasts
It has to be said though this is 2 HS slots taking on 1 of his. So don't expect to win a shoot out. We are eldar attrition is not what we are about.

Dave l

DarkLink
01-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I'd stick bright lances on the waveserpents if you know you'll be facing land raiders. If not, then I'd pick EMLs and shuriken cannons. Long ranged heavy anti-tank is invaluable to eldar. It lets you de-mobilize and expose enemy units, who you can then doom/guide/bladestorm to death.

WereWolf_nr
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
My feeling is that your list is working on killing his transports more than the guys inside them. Unfortunately, the volume of fire from your DAs will probably not be sufficient and you will find yourself outmatched in hand to hand.

Perhaps a counter charge group of Banshees or Dark Reapers to kill them at range. Dark Reapers have somewhat fallen from grace due to the abundance of cover.

Tynskel
01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I think this list plays to the weaknesses of the eldar. Spamming the same unit, over n' over. I understand why marines get away with spam, but with the eldar, they need a little bit of 'everything' because each unit is good at a particular job.

I were a Blood Angels player (which I am), unless you have some really spectacular tactics--- of which I would have to completely fail at countering, I would be very bored by fighting your list.

eagleboy7259
01-10-2011, 10:27 PM
If you are going to be paying for a fully Dire Avenger unit in a Transport take the dang Exarch and then give him Bladestorm. No point to paying full points for a unit that doesn't maximize it's killing potential. If you're just using them to pick up scoring points take 5 man DVU instead.

Don't take Fire Dragons in Falcons - take them in Wave Serpents instead. If you're driving to put the unit inside your transport within melta range, chances are your transport is going to be within melta range too. Falcons are overpriced but surviable - put your scoring units in them and then keep them far far away. I'd say EML's on the Wave Serpents normally, but I could see Bright Lances there instead.

Did I mention Falcons are expensive and BS 3? If you're going to sink points into them (or a fire prism for that matter) take holo-fields, its expensive but it keeps your AV 12 tanks around forever.

The best heavy support choice for the eldar is the one you aren't taking. War Walker squads with double scatter lasers literally erase units off the board. Keep them in reserve and then outflank them. If you cast guide or doom they're even better. For that matter this is Eldar... where is Eldrard? at 2000pts he becomes almost a necessity. You know he can cast out of tanks right?

Unless you are taking a Autarch with Hawk's Wings, Eldar Jetbike or Warp Jump Generator take Yriel. He's cheap enough and tends to make a mess out of anything that he meets in assault. Much better than any set-up you can give a normal Autarch.

Warp Spiders make an awesome mess of just about any unit with their strength 6 guns and hit & run ability. A jump Autarch really helps them out, since the regular spider is somewhat fragile in assault.

Vypers are soooo expensive for what they bring to the table. It is almost always better to scrap them and take another Wave Serpent or more bodies in your units.

For scoring units - DVU's are probably your best bet. However Rangers and Guardian Squads do a decent job of sitting objectives and adding fire. I know some people like late game steals with Jetbikes.

I hope this helps

*EDIT* Don't fear the Raider spam - it's probably one of the worst things you can do with Marines. 3 or 4 big tanks take up 2/3 or half the army. Even the Crusader and the Redeemer don't pour out enough fire to become considerably scary.

Da Gargoyle
01-31-2011, 03:54 PM
I find the force a little limited.

My autarch carries a fusion gun, also mandi blasters and scorpion sword, attach him to scorpions or dragons.

I would drop two avengers squads and work in an assault unit. Scorpions can strike at same strength and carry same armour save as SM and the strike first with more attacks. Or Banshees strike with lower strength but use power weapons which ironically means they have a better armour save than SM and for a low price can counter attack. Either choice needs to be 10 strong though.

Drop a Falcon and the vypers and field that 2nd prism, they are cheaper in points and have better BS.

Keep the fire dragon exarchs and give them a fire pike and tank hunters. Two dice to penetrate at 9" with a BS of 5 is not to be sneezed at.

Of course these options leave you with a unit without transport. That may dictate your assault unit choice. Scorpions can flank march and so can be kept in reserve. My scorpion Exarch carries chain sabres which has its own little surprise for SM.

Replacing the star cannon with twin linked bright lances on at least two serpents and the bright lance on the falcon with a scatter laser is statistically more advantageous against troops and armour. At least with twin linked bright lance on a serpent you get the re-roll if you miss. The falcon also becomes a mobile anti personell platform. Add a shuriken cannon and there is lots of shooty goodness.

This is 1800 points worth roughly and gives you some more choice to top up to 2000. Maybe jet bikes or guardian sqd or Farseer or character. I was going to suggest wraith guard with warlock but that would require melding your dragons into one unit to satisfy org chart limitations.

By the way, for the other guy to have 4 raiders, at least one has to be a dedicated transport as they are normally Heavy weapons options, of which the limit is 3.