PDA

View Full Version : drop pods

dethangel
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
ive been thinking of incorperating drop pods in my SM army. but what happens if it lands on top of a unit in play?

Connjurus
01-07-2011, 09:41 AM
The world explodes.

No, seriously, it says in the rules that it always lands at least 1" away from impassable terrain and other models.

Calypso2ts
01-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Close, it says that you 'reduce the scatter' if it would land in impassible terrain. They can still mishap if you try to DS them within 1" (or on) of an enemy unit or if they go off the table completely.

dannyat2460
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Close, it says that you 'reduce the scatter' if it would land in impassible terrain. They can still mishap if you try to DS them within 1" (or on) of an enemy unit or if they go off the table completely.

Close, it says that you 'reduce the scatter' if it would land in impassible terrain or on a model (friend or foe) you only mishap if you go off the table. its the internal guidance system rule if you land in dificult terain tho you dont move out of it you land in it and take a dangerous terrain test and if you fail that you lose the onboard weapon that you cant fire anyway the turn that it deepstrikes

somerandomdude
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Simply put, if you tried to place them in the open (that is, somewhere on the table that is not on impassable terrain, including models) then the only way they could mishap is if they went off the table. When you scatter, you move them along the path, but if they would end up on impassable terrain or within 1" of an enemy, you stop moving them just before that.

If you decided to try to place them on an enemy and then rolled to scatter, and you didn't move off of the enemy, you mishap.

EDIT: Keep in mind that you still are affected by dangerous terrain tests if you land in difficult terrain.

dannyat2460
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
good point but why would you want to lol

dethangel
01-07-2011, 10:29 AM
thanks for the help it clears things up for me. i was hoping to use it as a big bomb then release a dreadnought into the carnage but seein i cant do that i wont be usen them at all. the units i really want to deepstrike like assault marines and terminators dont need them so ill save the money id waste on the drop pods for other actually useful stuff.

fuzzbuket
01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
id love it if they squished models much like the mawlock :D id even pay ye old price of 50pts for it !

dannyat2460
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
ya it would make more sence it they damaged units when they came down but i think its for simplicity they made it so it avoids everything

Calypso2ts
01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree that it would be way cooler if it smashed the units. I was at a tournament where my opponent placed their pod too close to my forces (they wanted to be sure that even if they scattered 12" back they would be in 6" melta range.

They rolled a hit and after some discussion with a TO they rolled on the table as described above. Reducing scatter != move out of impassible terrain. That is why I said close because unless you are well, lets say a risk taker, it effectively does what you described.

somerandomdude
01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Orbital Strikes are used to damage enemies. Drop Pods have their stabilizers in order to make sure they land in the most tactical positions available.

dethangel
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Orbital Strikes are used to damage enemies. Drop Pods have their stabilizers in order to make sure they land in the most tactical positions available.

but the most tacticool place to land this heavy chunk of metal from space IS on the heads of some poor suckers. :D just sayin....:)

dannyat2460
01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
but the most tacticool place to land this heavy chunk of metal from space IS on the heads of some poor suckers. :D just sayin....:)

must agree with that statment, actualy thinking about it surly a tank shock would work, death or glory on a drop pod :rolleyes: would be awsome lol try droping one on lysander it would be like baseball but much more interesting lol

Strike 1 and your outa there... well under there anyway lol :D

Angelus Mortifer
01-08-2011, 01:22 AM
...and then there's deep-striking Landraiders that potentially die if they land on a single Grot... yeah, good work there GW you muppets :rolleyes: Didn't think to maybe use the DSing Nid rules there perhaps? Nah, that would be TOO sensible :D

ggg
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
The forge world variant that allows your dreadnought to assault on the turn it lands is absolutely vicious. That is as close as you can get to turning your drop pod into a bomb - or missile!

steelmage99
01-10-2011, 01:55 AM
...and then there's deep-striking Landraiders that potentially die if they land on a single Grot... yeah, good work there GW you muppets :rolleyes: Didn't think to maybe use the DSing Nid rules there perhaps? Nah, that would be TOO sensible :D

Or maybe they took game balance into consideration.

Fellend
01-10-2011, 02:17 AM
The forge world variant that allows your dreadnought to assault on the turn it lands is absolutely vicious. That is as close as you can get to turning your drop pod into a bomb - or missile!

wait what? What is this and where are the rules and who can I pay to get one?

dannyat2460
01-10-2011, 02:33 AM
wait what? What is this and where are the rules and who can I pay to get one?

forge world wont say no to your money the dreadnought drop pod is in the space marine support section

dannyat2460
01-10-2011, 02:34 AM
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Support/DREADNOUGHT-DROP-POD.html
there we go even easier for you

steelmage99
01-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Keep in mind that you will need your opponents consent to use it.

dannyat2460
01-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Nahh drop da bomb on them lituraly lol... but no seriosly ask them if you can use Imperial Armour rules and you will need the IA with the rules in or atleast a print out of them

chromedog
01-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Considering that the update to IA vol 1 is a pdf and free from the site, the rules are easy to find.

Fellend
01-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Its an IA thing then not space marines 5th ed? Because I play Black Templar

Smotku
01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
We allowed the forge world IA lucius pattern drop pods for a while at my FLGS but after a while we all decided that it was too unbalanced . I play BA and it was just too powerful with Furioso and DC dreads.